Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 03:27 PM

8 posts, read 21,712 times

Advertisements

I lost my job in May of 2009. My last of benefits is this week. I heard there was 33 weeks of emergency unemployment passed and a possible 13 weeks of extensions pending. Do I qualify for the 33 week extension? Does anyone know any information? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 03:30 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
This should answer your questions: New York State Department of Labor - ExtendedBenefits

Old 10-30-2009, 03:35 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
How can you tell he is in New York?

Different states have different extensions, and some states do not have high enough unemployment to qualify for any extensions.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:18 PM

Thank you! I read that before I posted and as crazy as it sounds, I did not completely understand it. (Please just accept a side note of I am sick as an explanation. I am actually very intelligent.)

I believe it means that I am entitled to 20 weeks additional unemployment and after that we'll see what else is passed? Thanks!

Old 10-30-2009, 05:37 PM

145 posts, read 576,174 times
You are correct. As it stands today, you are entitled to 20 weeks extension. In fact, I start my 20 week emergency benefit period at the end of this week. Should Congress pass the pending bill(s). the date deadlines of Tier 1 and Tier 2 will change into 2010. That will mean that we will be eligible for Tier 2's additional 13 week emergency benefit period in addition to whatever Tier 3 might be. Hope we find jobs and don't need any of this!

Old 10-31-2009, 08:40 AM

15 posts, read 47,900 times
This has been really confusing me too, I started my UE in March of 2009, I was supposed to get 33 weeks, but instead got 26 weeks and then when I kept claiming (as Instructed) I received another 13 weeks. I thought that I would have just gotten the extension to 33 weeks and then a 20 week extension as I as I understood it on the UE website...So now that I got the 13 weeks of Emergency benifits, does this mean I will get the extended benifits if I do not have a job after these 13 weeks are up?? I read on the UE site that the extended and emergency benefits are for a total of 53 weeks....

Old 10-31-2009, 09:41 AM

Thank you Susan! I appreciate it! I feel like I have the IQ of a jellyfish when it comes to all of this. It seems you and I started benefits at the exact same time. I hope we find jobs soon as well!

So, we will receive the 20 additional weeks. But, will they run out by December 27, 2009, ultimately meaning we received less than 20 weeks and are done if Congress does not pass the legislature? And, if Congress does pass the additional legislature, does that mean we receive 20 weeks, plus 13 weeks, plus 13 additional weeks?

I think frustration and fear of bills is making this harder to understand. The government bailed out the banks which did nothing for us THE PEOPLE without oversight of the money (which I believe most was stolen) and yet the little guy suffers.

CEOs get private jets which cost more than the average yearly salary of many Americans. Expensive meals and other "things" that are considered "business meetings" are tax deductible - heck I want a $15,000 bottle of wine like some Executives I have seen buy on the company card - and gifts for girls and guys they like and more.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:36 AM

145 posts, read 576,174 times
The 20 weeks will not run out by December 27, 2009. Because you are starting Tier 1 emergency benefits now, they will run the full 20 weeks (through the beginning or mid-March, 2010 depending on when your first week is). The reason we currently are not eligible for Tier 2, is that we would have had to exhaust all of our 20 weeks benefit available under Tier 1 by December 27, 2009.

Yes, if Congress does pass the additional legislature as it is written now, we receive our 20 weeks (Tier 1), and additional 13 weeks (Tier 2) and then the additional extension of 13 or so weeks (Tier 3). Again, this is all assuming the passage is of what provisions are currently on the "table".

I don't mean to sound like an "end all, be all authority". I am absolutely sure of how we stand as of now due to a lot of research which is a long story I cannot disclose due to a confidentiality clause in my termination agreement.

As for that $15,000 bottle of wine----I'd rather have cases of the cheaper stuff I like in the event I can celebrate the job fairy being good to me, a winning lottery ticket (which who can afford to buy now), or just the government being fair to all Americans hit hard by this recession, not just those "favorites"!

Old 10-31-2009, 12:12 PM

15 posts, read 47,900 times
it seems that after my regular 26 weeks, I am now getting 13 additional weeks (tier 2). Does anyone know how this can be? I thought I was supposed to get 33 and then tier 1 (20 weeks).

Old 10-31-2009, 06:12 PM

Susan, thank you SO much! You have made me feel a lot better. I have been job hunting like crazy and nothing is happening. Congress better pass those additional 13 weeks so we keep receiving benefits! The economy is worse and jobs are ZERO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment