Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:37 AM

15 posts, read 47,924 times

Advertisements

Can ANYONE answer a question for me? I can not get through to anyone at the Dept. of Labor. I recieved my 26 weeks of UE and then got an extra 13 weeks (tier 2)...

They way I understand it is I should have gotten 26 weeks, an extra 7 weeks to add up to 33, then tier 1 (20 weeks) and THEN if i was still unemployed, (Tier 2) an extra 20 weeks...

So how is it that I am getting Tier 2 right now???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 01:26 PM

331 posts, read 957,029 times
Mcali, it should be 26 + 20 (Tier 1 EUC) + 13 (Tier 2 EUC) + 20 (Extended benefits). Keep in mind that all of the EUC and extended benefits are only funded through 2009. So, if your 20 week Tier 1 extension ends in January, you will no longer receive any more benefits unless Congress passes additional legislation. If your Tier 1 ends prior to the end of the year (actually there is a specific date in late December), Tier 2 will kick in. If Tier 1 and Tier 2 are exhausted, I believe extended benefits are not available in 2010 (though it may be state specific and available in some states).

Old 11-02-2009, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the response, is this true even if my "Benefit year ending date is 3/7/2010??

the site says "The last payable week of both Tier 1 and Tier 2 is the week ending June 6, 2010"

and then this "An additional 53 weeks of unemployment benefits have been approved for claimants who meet certain criteria" confuses me....

Old 11-10-2009, 10:17 AM

8 posts, read 21,752 times
I got off the phone with The Dept. Of Labor and they said that I get benefits until the 27th of December and now that 14 additional weeks of benefits have been approved, I will get those. It made no sense. And when I tried to ask questions the woman at the Dept. of Labor knew less than I did.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossibleprince View Post
I got off the phone with The Dept. Of Labor and they said that I get benefits until the 27th of December and now that 14 additional weeks of benefits have been approved, I will get those. It made no sense. And when I tried to ask questions the woman at the Dept. of Labor knew less than I did.
Haha I believe you when you say that the lady knew less than you did. Yes I heard that we get the additional 14 weeks and compared to that initial breakdown of the extended benifits, I guess we'll just take those extra weeks if need be but hopefully not.

One more thing, What if the the extended benifits go beyond 52 weeks? Will you just cut off at the one year mark OR will we still get the full 14 weeks?

I tried calling myself but they dont even leave you on hold anymore, they just disonnect you and tell you to call back, was it any different for you?

Old 11-17-2009, 03:46 AM

600 posts, read 1,074,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcali2330 View Post
Haha I believe you when you say that the lady knew less than you did. Yes I heard that we get the additional 14 weeks and compared to that initial breakdown of the extended benifits, I guess we'll just take those extra weeks if need be but hopefully not.

One more thing, What if the the extended benifits go beyond 52 weeks? Will you just cut off at the one year mark OR will we still get the full 14 weeks?

I tried calling myself but they dont even leave you on hold anymore, they just disonnect you and tell you to call back, was it any different for you?
I can tell you from first hand experience that if your year ends and you're in the middle of collecting EUC, all you do is go to your states DOL, reapply for unemployment (you have to every year anyways) and the EUC will continue for how many ever weeks you have it.

For example, my year just ended on November 3rd (I'm in Ga). I was in my 7th week of Tier 2. I went back to the GA DOL office in my area, "reapplied" for UI. Obviously, since I had not worked in the past year, I was not qualified to establish a new claim, however, I could continue with my Tier 2 benefits. If you read the information on the EUC, it says that to qualify for EUC, you had to have exhausted your initial claim (or Tier 1, if you're seeking Tier 2) and cannot establish a new claim.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 PM

Okay, I am even more confused now that there are an additional 14 weeks with the possibility of an additional 6 weeks. My first week of extended benefits was last week (I have no clue which extended benefits they are - no clue how many weeks I am entitled too - even more confused when I first started this post!!!!) and the Dept. Of Labor is NO help I have NO clue what I will be receiving and when my benefits will stop. I am desperately trying to plan for my future and I cannot do it! I need to know when my benefits will run out. Either my food budget is $1 a week or $5 a week or $10 a week or $20 a week since I have rent, health insurance, doctor bills, electricity, and other necessities to consider. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:

SORRY! What this meant was the lady at the dept of labor made it seem as though I will only receive benefits until the 27th of December unless more emergency benfits were approved. I am only getting the 14 weeks of emergency benefits they just approved she said.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:56 AM

968 posts, read 2,619,664 times
Quote:
SORRY! What this meant was the lady at the dept of labor made it seem as though I will only receive benefits until the 27th of December unless more emergency benfits were approved. I am only getting the 14 weeks of emergency benefits they just approved she said.
This addresses some of your concerns below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan815 View Post
The 20 weeks will not run out by December 27, 2009. Because you are starting Tier 1 emergency benefits now, they will run the full 20 weeks (through the beginning or mid-March, 2010 depending on when your first week is). The reason we currently are not eligible for Tier 2, is that we would have had to exhaust all of our 20 weeks benefit available under Tier 1 by December 27, 2009.

Yes, if Congress does pass the additional legislature as it is written now, we receive our 20 weeks (Tier 1), and additional 13 weeks (Tier 2) and then the additional extension of 13 or so weeks (Tier 3). Again, this is all assuming the passage is of what provisions are currently on the "table".
I do not believe you should be advancing to Tier 3 benefits (14 weeks) since you do not technically meet the requirements for Tier 3 claims. If your state's DOL advances you from the exhausted regular claim to Tier 3 (rather than Tier 1) and then once (either) claim is completed there will not be any additional UI unless Congress extends the deadlines into 2010.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 AM

Anyone else still as confused as I am? Still no work and still do not know how long unemployment is going to last! I appreciate that it has lasted this long and hope it extends further or else this country will be in a jam as I am not the only one struggling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment