Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 02:29 PM

34 posts, read 67,895 times

Advertisements

When I first applied for UI, UI sent me a letter said I can claim the UI for 13 weeks since I worked for that long in my full time job.

But after two weeks, they sent me another letter said that my claim weeks is cut to 11 weeks. The reason is that they have the cliam period for July August and September. And the last 2 weeks I work was in October, and I can't use that.

Is that true? Is there any way to cliam the two weeks? Can I claim that in next year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 PM

25,589 posts, read 56,597,334 times
Please don't post without telling us your state. Each state varies in how it calculates benefits. Some use alternate base periods, others don't. I see from other posts of yours you are in NJ.

That said, NJ was able to qualify you for benefits using Alternate Base Year #1 income October 2011-September 2012.

When NJ first qualified you, it used ABY #2 which does take income up to the time you file. However, the rule is if you qualify using ABY #1, then NJ should not have used ABY #2.

So, NJ corrected this error and recalculated your benefits under ABY #1.

Quote:
Alternate Base Year Period

If your earnings during your regular base year period do not meet the qualifications for a claim, earnings in other base year periods will be reviewed. You may qualify for benefits if you worked at least 20 base weeks (a base week in 2010, 2011, and 2012 is minimum weekly earnings of $145), or a total of $7,300 in any one-year period in the last 1 1/2 years (last 18 months)for a claim dated in calendar year 2010.

There are two alternate base years (one-year periods) within the last 18 months that we check to qualify you for a claim. You cannot choose which alternate base year or which calendar quarters to use to qualify for a claim. Once your claim becomes valid, that is the base year you must use on your claim. If you still do not qualify for a claim using the first alternate base year, then we check using the second alternate base year.

Alternate Base Year #1 consists of the four most recently completed calendar quarters preceding the date of claim.

Alternate Base Year #2 consists of the three most recently completed calendar quarters preceding the date of the claim and weeks in the filing quarter up to the date of the claim. This alternative base year will contain less than 52 weeks.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | What is Needed to Qualify? Did You Earn Enough?
In NY and IL, you can request use of an alternate base period to improve your benefits. NJ does not allow you to do that, per bolded text above.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-28-2012 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment