Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 AM

511 posts, read 2,454,168 times

Advertisements

From the day you lose your job a job applicant is in a race to get a job.

One time I decided to take a few months off after a layoff and just collect unemployment, do off the books odd jobs and travel. In fact I traveled around the world using all those frequent flyer miles I had collected from years of business travel. I had always dreamed of doing the trip but my employer told me he could not survive without me for 3 weeks and constantly turned down my vacation requests.

When I returned to America and started to look for work, the potential employers always asked me what I had been doing since I lost my job. I told them I had been traveling. I could tell they thought less of me and I lost many job offers because of my honesty.

Employers may consider the unemployed but only if they are actively devoted to professional development during their time between jobs and find a new job within a few months. After more than three months of unemployment your marketability is down by fifty percent and keeps falling drastically every month afterwords.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,950,638 times
The good news is the time is lengthening. It used to be interviewers would ask why you have been out for over a year, now so many have been. I guess it was, when you are cloistered inside a corporation you are unaware of conditions on the outside.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,226,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
From the day you lose your job a job applicant is in a race to get a job.

One time I decided to take a few months off after a layoff and just collect unemployment, do off the books odd jobs and travel. In fact I traveled around the world using all those frequent flyer miles I had collected from years of business travel. I had always dreamed of doing the trip but my employer told me he could not survive without me for 3 weeks and constantly turned down my vacation requests.

When I returned to America and started to look for work, the potential employers always asked me what I had been doing since I lost my job. I told them I had been traveling. I could tell they thought less of me and I lost many job offers because of my honesty.

Employers may consider the unemployed but only if they are actively devoted to professional development during their time between jobs and find a new job within a few months. After more than three months of unemployment your marketability is down by fifty percent and keeps falling drastically every month afterwords.
Right there you slit your own throat and I wouldn't have much respect either. Shows no initiative and you took advantage by PURPOSEFULLY living off the dole and then commiting an offense by doing jobs off the books while living on the dole. Just the kind of person I'd be looking to hire - not.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 AM

511 posts, read 2,454,168 times
Of course I did not tell them I had committed unemployment fraud by working off the books doing house painting, but the point was I delayed my job search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Right there you slit your own throat and I wouldn't have much respect either. Shows no initiative and you took advantage by PURPOSEFULLY living off the dole and then commiting an offense by doing jobs off the books while living on the dole. Just the kind of person I'd be looking to hire - not.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,534,461 times
Workaholic is now going into my "ignore" list so i won't see any of his posts. He has bashed unemployed folks post after post, saying he wants unemployment weeks to be limited, etc. Now this person is saying he is fraudulently collecting unemeployment-which is a felony. A couple weeks ago, he said his wife was also commiting unemployment fraud while working under the table. Something tells me this person is probably a troll. Regardless, he's going on my ignore list.

Go to profile....My Settings, Settings and Options (on left), Edit Ignore List. Type userid of person to ignore. Save changes.

Last edited by sware2cod; 01-24-2012 at 09:54 AM..

Old 01-24-2012, 10:51 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,769,868 times
Better question

How many posts/threads can you be opening before moderators doubt your identities?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,807,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
A couple weeks ago, he said his wife was also commiting unemployment fraud while working under the table.
He rarely contributes more than the initial thread and at most two other posts on those he creates and he dropped that one like a hot potato when he couldn't produce a response to those who caught up with that fact-jumbler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Better question

How many posts/threads can you be opening before moderators doubt your identities?
Threadaholic" should be the next alias. Far more credible than the current handle which is better suited to someone without such an extraordinary amount of time on their hands ...

Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,266,800 times
Since when do HR people do enough traveling to rack up a bunch of frequent flyer miles? Seriously folks, this is just another in carnation of goodtype/weekend traveler/white collar worker/etc. This poster has been banned under more names than I can remember.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,807,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Since when do HR people do enough traveling to rack up a bunch of frequent flyer miles? Seriously folks, this is just another in carnation of goodtype/weekend traveler/white collar worker/etc. This poster has been banned under more names than I can remember.
Exactly. When he starts to lose credibility on one forum he pops over to another for a while and then returns to his favorites when he assumes everyone has forgotten about (or is incapable of finding) his previous threads. For entertainment purposes only!

Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,685,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Exactly. When he starts to lose credibility on one forum he pops over to another for a while and then returns to his favorites when he assumes everyone has forgotten about (or is incapable of finding) his previous threads. For entertainment purposes only!
I guess Weekend Traveler isn't traveling on weekends.

Maybe he/she is still Stranded and Lonely because all he/she seems to do is bash the unemployed. I mean, really isn't there something better to do with one's time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment