Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,714 times

Advertisements

I saw on the news the other day, that many employers these days don't want to hire those that are unemployed. As if those of us who are unemployed, don't have enough troubles! The news-cast mentioned that the EEOC, has been keeping an eye on employers, and noticed this trend. Here's a link to an article, that explains this phenomenon in detail: Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'

For those of you who are now unemployed, have you experienced being turned down for a job, only because you were unemployed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,370,058 times
I don't know if it's because I'm unemployed or old or both.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:15 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I don't know if it's because I'm unemployed or old or both.
I believe it could be both. Seems to me, that employers are using this recession, as a way to discriminate wantonly. I'm glad that the EEOC, is getting involved in this issue. I also think that Congress should get involved, because employers need to realize, that discrimination in their hiring practices, is against the law.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,768,054 times
From the Article : A company's choice to ignore unemployed applicants and recycle the current workforce ignores the effect of the recession on millions of highly-qualified workers and could prolong the unemployment crisis

Old 02-21-2011, 12:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,681,263 times
Why would I agree to take a job when I already have one?

And if I did agree, am I not likely to leave THAT job [the one I left the other for] for something else?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,279,384 times
While we don't have that practice, I can understand it from the hiring manager point of view, but don't agree with it.

I don't mind going through a lot of resumes from people that are not close to meeting the requirements, it's just not that big a deal, but then my openings have been for fairly unique skill sets that are easy to identify.

Our latest position offered resulted in just under 100 applications. Of those only 11 met the minimum requirements and were offered interviews. Of those, 1 was a no show, 6 demonstrated a lack of knowledge in the interviews, and only 4 were seriously considered.

I would think that employers looking for much more general skills would get literally hundreds of applicants, including, as we found, many that are merely trying to meet the terms of their unemployment benefits. Unfortunately, that
desire to save time and money in hiring could be keeping them from reaching the truly best person, and in my opinion, is discrimination. The unemployed are not a protected class, so there's no grounds for lawsuit but hopefully some kind of pressure can change it.

In case you wondered, the person we selected is currently not employed.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,048,419 times
It probably depends on how long someone was unemployed. I don't think if someone was unemployed for 4-5 months would be viewed a certain why or passed over. Now if you are unemployed 2 years or more then those people are more likely to be passed over

Old 02-21-2011, 08:46 PM

302 posts, read 580,622 times
my husband has now been unemployed for a year. He has worked some temp jobs but at this point he can't get a job at Wal-mart. He has a BS in mechanical engineering and has worked in IT for the past 23 years. He got laid off due to work shortage and he is applying all over the US. I can only attribute it to his age and now the length of time he's been unemployed.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:49 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,147,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It probably depends on how long someone was unemployed. I don't think if someone was unemployed for 4-5 months would be viewed a certain why or passed over. Now if you are unemployed 2 years or more then those people are more likely to be passed over
I did not find discrimination when I went back to work in October (was laid off in April) as my manager had suffered the same fate & was in tune with being laid off.

I think you just can't take anything personally & just present yourself in the best light possible when interviewing, maybe even turn it around & ask the interviewer how they would feel it they were you!

Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,802 times
Ive been looking for work for just over a month and Ive never been in this situation before...I've been on interviews that lasted 5 minutes with no questions asked about my skill set....my hair is grey, though Im in my 50's Im completely grey and they just dont want to know about it...I had another job email me saying they recieved my resume and that they were very interested in talking with me.They asked me one question...was I working right now....To be honest I said no, I just moved to the area and have been looking for almost a month...they never called or emailed back for am interview...its very frustrating and Ive never been in this situation before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment