Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 19,481 times

Advertisements

I have been out of work and on unemployment for the last 3 months (Colorado). I normally receive $443 a week(plus $25) . This morning I was surprised to find that I was paid $332 (plus $25), for the past 2 weeks. Nothing has changed and I have not done any part time work. Of course trying to call them for the last 1.5 hours was useless. Can anyone shed any light on this? Am really worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 AM

126 posts, read 467,563 times
That's quite puzzling... I can not think of any reason why it would have changed. You say no part time work, which could have changed it. And you are only on unemployment three months so it couldn't be a different benefit amount determination due to switching to extended benefits. It could be a simple mistake. Unfortunately you are probably in for a long wait to get in touch with anyone at your local unemployment office, due to the high amount of claims, but they will probably be your only source of information for what has happened.

Edit: Was there any issues with your former employer? Any reason why they might dispute your claim?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 AM

49 posts, read 352,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployed_mama View Post
I have been out of work and on unemployment for the last 3 months (Colorado). I normally receive $443 a week(plus $25) . This morning I was surprised to find that I was paid $332 (plus $25), for the past 2 weeks. Nothing has changed and I have not done any part time work. Of course trying to call them for the last 1.5 hours was useless. Can anyone shed any light on this? Am really worried.
Other than a big blunder by the u.i. dept., you must have received some sort of compensation during your base claim period. Double check with your former employer's HR dept. This income has triggered a revised and reduced claim. And, don't assume that " noncountable " income ( such as severance and vacation pay ) isn't the issue. This type of income gets incorrectly categorized as countable wages all the time.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,061 times
What was your awarded amount originally? You could be out of UI and need to apply for euc.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:15 AM

140 posts, read 612,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
What was your awarded amount originally? You could be out of UI and need to apply for euc.
I think choosing78 is on the right track.....it seems like you're at the end of your original claim....

Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 19,481 times
Thank you all for your feedback and comments. When I failed to connect to anyone over the phone, I sent them a letter by regular mail asking them. They sent me a reply yesterday saying that apparently at some point. They had overpaid me by $400. I had worked a few hours at my old work place last summer, which I had reported right away. I was on partial unemployment at that time. Now it looks like they realized it and simply started deducting an amount without thinking of letting me know... oh well. At least the mystery is solved. I do appreciate your feedback though. And a piece of good news is that I just got a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment