Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 10,781 times

Advertisements

I received unemployment for one year and am about to enter my third tier extension.
I received a Benefit Award Notice that states that my new weekly benefit amount will be less than half of my old weekly benefit amount. I imagine that they are calculating this based on the amount I made just prior to filing my initial claim. I have not worked since being on unemployment.
Before March of 2012 I had a full time, well paying job. From March until June, I only worked less than part time. For my first year of unemployment they were calculating my standard base rate with the period where I had a well paying job. For my new base rate I imagine they are calculating my WBA from the part time work. Is it possible that they change my base period even if it is an extension?
Is an extension the same as a new claim altogether?
Would the Deferred New Claim Program be applicable in my case?

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 11:09 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,770 times
It's a not so subtle hint that it's time to get a job.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:16 AM

18,013 posts, read 27,456,617 times
I'd agree with that. Deliver pizzas if you have to imo. After one year and four months of being without full time employment, I started delivering pizzas and after a month of doing that, I had to quit them to accept a job with the city. Been employeed almost three years with them now.

Good luck with your new career.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:38 PM

199 posts, read 400,415 times
Yeah, how long are you planning on staying without a job? Are you waiting out the CEO of BofA to take his job or are you actually trying to find work?

The problem with most unemployed people is that they consider themselves too good for most jobs. What was your job title before becoming unemp... Stop right there! Doesn't matter what your job title was. Time to wipe the slate clean and realize that no one gives a crap about what you were doing before. Obviously if you were good at what you were doing, you wouldn't be unemployed (Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's true.)

Time to hit the reset and start with ANYTHING. Clean toilets. Take out people's trash. Walk their dogs. Mow their lawns. Whatever gets you a foot in the door of the working world is the first step of your journey to the top. Stop being too good for work and start climbing the mountain.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,173 times
hey guys

the OP wasn't asking you for career advice. They were asking why their unemployment benefit dropped. If you don't know why it dropped then mind your own business.

We don't know anything about the OP's situation. Maybe they have children to support. Maybe they have an illness that prevents them from doing labor intensive jobs. Who the hell knows?

Old 06-22-2013, 02:40 PM

199 posts, read 400,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
hey guys

the OP wasn't asking you for career advice. They were asking why their unemployment benefit dropped. If you don't know why it dropped then mind your own business. Maybe OP should ask the people sending out the unemployment checks instead of random strangers on an internet message board, most of whom don't receive unemployment benefits or know the inner workings of the system.

We don't know anything about the OP's situation. Wrong. We know OP has been receiving unemployment benefits for over a year. We also know that said benefits have been reduced drastically. Maybe they have children to support. So? People can't support children and earn a living? Maybe they have an illness that prevents them from doing labor intensive jobs. So? There aren't any non-labor-intensive jobs out there? Who the hell knows?

Old 06-22-2013, 02:57 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
hey guys

the OP wasn't asking you for career advice.
Right.

Then how about this unemployment benefit advice? A year is long enough. Widen your horizons.

My business? Not really... other than the fact that the OP came in here for advice. My experience? Absolutely. Take ot or leave it.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:06 PM

484 posts, read 871,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbzba View Post
I received unemployment for one year and am about to enter my third tier extension.
I received a Benefit Award Notice that states that my new weekly benefit amount will be less than half of my old weekly benefit amount. I imagine that they are calculating this based on the amount I made just prior to filing my initial claim. I have not worked since being on unemployment.
Before March of 2012 I had a full time, well paying job. From March until June, I only worked less than part time. For my first year of unemployment they were calculating my standard base rate with the period where I had a well paying job. For my new base rate I imagine they are calculating my WBA from the part time work. Is it possible that they change my base period even if it is an extension?
Is an extension the same as a new claim altogether?
Would the Deferred New Claim Program be applicable in my case?

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It may be the budget sequestration that went into effect earlier this year and the subsequent cuts to federal extension benefits. It requires all states to cut the benefit amounts of unemployment compensation. All new federal extension benefits will be affected starting in April 2013.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:12 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
Unless you have been there ...

Hopefully the snooty-nosed will never find themselves in a similar situation.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:49 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Unless you have been there ...

Hopefully the snooty-nosed will never find themselves in a similar situation.
Agreed. Very easy to speak not knowing the other persons scenario.

But I would add this, to not give the OP a total pass, why the hell are you posting this here when EDD has an email set up to answer such questions The response will certainly be better than what you get on a forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
View detailed profiles of: