Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 PM

17 posts, read 127,566 times

Advertisements

California EDD recently filed a new claim for me since my benefit year was up. I was currently on my second extension.

I received the award letter, and noticed that my weekly benefit amount was significantly lower than what I was getting from my original claim.

I don't understand what's going on? Nothing has changed since my original claim, so why am i getting less?

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 AM

15,130 posts, read 32,358,765 times
I have the same problem. My new claim went from $288 per week down to $231 per week. From what I can tell, they based it on my earnings from last year. I collected UIB and worked part-time all year.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:41 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,862,694 times
They are probably taking taxes out of it now.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:02 PM

53 posts, read 122,455 times
This is why they make everyone re qualify every year, to check your status if you worked. If not, you continue on your current course, if available. If you did work, your benefit is adjusted to include wages you made, part time or not...

Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unempinSF415 View Post
California EDD recently filed a new claim for me since my benefit year was up. I was currently on my second extension.

I received the award letter, and noticed that my weekly benefit amount was significantly lower than what I was getting from my original claim.

I don't understand what's going on? Nothing has changed since my original claim, so why am i getting less?

Please help!
Your other thread CA EDD claim expired during 2nd extension
has people saying they had some earnings during the first year of UI and all their checks have been reduced.

Have you worked since you originally filed? If not, call and ask why it's less.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:35 PM

just received the infamous "notice of determination of invalid claim, section 1277" form. it included a check list as to why my new claim in invalid, but it also checks off the statement: "THIS DETERMINATION DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR CLAIM FOR EXTENDED BENEFITS".

does this mean i'm still able to collect from my second extension?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:47 PM

36,444 posts, read 16,048,954 times
My friend in cali told me that his friend has been on unemployment for 2 years now and still gets 450.00 per week. WTH!!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:57 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unempinSF415 View Post
just received the infamous "notice of determination of invalid claim, section 1277" form. it included a check list as to why my new claim in invalid, but it also checks off the statement: "THIS DETERMINATION DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR CLAIM FOR EXTENDED BENEFITS".

does this mean i'm still able to collect from my second extension?
Invalid = you do not qualify for NEW (26wk) STATE Benefits claim because of no new earnings in the last year, therefore ineligible for a NEW STATE claim).

EUC Tiers and EB are not STATE claims, EUC is considered FEDERAL and EB is a combination of the two as far as funding.

So, you HAVE to be disqualified from a NEW STATE claim in order to QUALIFY for an EUC Tier.

Your old/original/state claim would be renewed/reopened but it is not a NEW claim. It is simply a "continuation of benefits".

I hope this clears things up.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 PM

thank you so much, wannabee! i'm feeling less anxious now haha. EDD really needs to fix their crappy systems!

Old 01-27-2010, 09:27 PM

129 posts, read 533,625 times
I'm coming up on my benefit year anniversary in a couple of weeks. From reading the Pennsylvania Unemployment handbook, in order for me to get another 26-week state claim, I would have had to work between the original claim and the new claim, and make 6x what my weekly benefit rate was. Neither one has happened, so I'll be allowed to continue on federal EUC, and EB if available and/or needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment