Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 01:27 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,747,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella52 View Post
I want to know......how the he&& do you cook risotto in 6 minutes It's not a make ahead dish. I really do hope they change the menu next season. I'm getting really tired of seeing all the same crap

There are no "real" chefs, nor will they ever be one on this show. This is a show for entertainment only.
The rice is already cooked. They're just throwing in the seasonings and finishing it off. And yes, the same old tired menu items are soooo boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 03:37 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,188,163 times
I'm curious, wouldn't just a small minority of (expensive) restaraunts have Hell's Kitchen kind of standards on the timing? Seriously, if one entree waits on a warmer for 2 minutes while another entree is finished, isn't that OK?

It drives me nuts when they throw away so much food because it's not perfectly timed with the other dishes in the party. Matter of fact, that kind of waste is offensive - Gordon.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:59 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,210,742 times
I wonder about these people and their inability to cook the items we see on a repeat basis. Last week I was telling my husband that he should have gone on the show because he can cook circles around all of these contestants, ever in the history of the show! And he's no chef - he's a lawyer who cooks really, really well. We could use the $250,000 for something really faboo - like a sound insulated structure on our property and a new drum set for me!

Old 10-14-2010, 04:05 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,369,832 times
EEEYAW!!

Hello donkeys, I'll post without specifics so I don't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the episodes.

I said in a previous post that there was one who is a weasel and that person showed up again, just ridiculous with the risotto. The person eliminated was no surprise, just couldn't cut the mustard under the gun.

Finally, what is with one "chef" and garnish? Loved the comment about the gnocci, LOL.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:48 PM

218 posts, read 723,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I wonder about these people and their inability to cook the items we see on a repeat basis. Last week I was telling my husband that he should have gone on the show because he can cook circles around all of these contestants, ever in the history of the show! And he's no chef - he's a lawyer who cooks really, really well. We could use the $250,000 for something really faboo - like a sound insulated structure on our property and a new drum set for me!
I agree, I work in a high volume kitchen and wonder how some of these "Chefs" on Hells Kitchen can claim to hold positions that they do. They have had Executive chefs on the show crash and burn all over the place. I wonder sometimes.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:50 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,555,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamscott View Post
I agree, I work in a high volume kitchen and wonder how some of these "Chefs" on Hells Kitchen can claim to hold positions that they do. They have had Executive chefs on the show crash and burn all over the place. I wonder sometimes.
Watching the show as a near-total non-cook, I can't believe how kitchens manage to bring us four different dishes all at the same time. I guess it's increased my respect for your profession. But that said, I think Ramsay creates some of the failures. I don't know a damned thing about cooking, but I know a lot about playing baseball. I try to imagine myself batting, fielding and throwing with someone calling out my every mistake for all onlookers to notice, and I can easily see myself muffing easy grounders, letting hanging curves float in for strike two, and throwing to the wrong base. No wonder some people cook two dozen meats at once, or mess up the riso'o, or send the scallops out raw. When people get rattled, they screw up more.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,210,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Watching the show as a near-total non-cook, I can't believe how kitchens manage to bring us four different dishes all at the same time. I guess it's increased my respect for your profession. But that said, I think Ramsay creates some of the failures. I don't know a damned thing about cooking, but I know a lot about playing baseball. I try to imagine myself batting, fielding and throwing with someone calling out my every mistake for all onlookers to notice, and I can easily see myself muffing easy grounders, letting hanging curves float in for strike two, and throwing to the wrong base. No wonder some people cook two dozen meats at once, or mess up the riso'o, or send the scallops out raw. When people get rattled, they screw up more.
Yes, but that rattlin' is what weeds out the bad apples. I've worked in law firms and the DA's office pretty much my whole life. A similar ritual is performed in these environments as well. If you can't do your job really well under intense scrutiny and pressure, then you just aren't cut out for that line of work. The wheat is separated from the chaffe.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:19 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,555,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yes, but that rattlin' is what weeds out the bad apples. I've worked in law firms and the DA's office pretty much my whole life. A similar ritual is performed in these environments as well. If you can't do your job really well under intense scrutiny and pressure, then you just aren't cut out for that line of work. The wheat is separated from the chaffe.
Arguably so. But I think one could also argue that ability to perform when people are being dicks to you is only one facet of good performance. There are many others, and this method will reject them.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:38 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,495,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post

The contestants may or may not know which one of them is the 'winner', but I'm sure GR and the rest of the people in charge know who it's going to be.
And I'm equally sure they don't. They'd be sued and shut down in a heartbeat! The FCC is really, really strict about these kind of competition shows not being rigged.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:38 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,747,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
And I'm equally sure they don't. They'd be sued and shut down in a heartbeat! The FCC is really, really strict about these kind of competition shows not being rigged.
The Joe Schmo Show.

Plus, you can't tell me in all seriousness that you think someone like Raj was considered a legitimate contender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV