Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:36 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,132,238 times

Advertisements

They should just get smart and make his show less frequent. M-W-F maybe?

The other thing is, his jokes lost their punch a LONG time ago. Putting him on earlier isn't going to give him that punch back. Other little things? Everything seems watered down. The theme song left me yawning, the set is kind of weird, just not much to look at.

i think he should try and concentrate more on a fusion between the Tonight Show and the Ed Sullivan show. Have more guests/acts on and LET THEM PERFORM!!!! If a man is not that good at interviewing, cut the time he does that!

We need something else besides "Americas Got Numbskulls" to see new talent in this country, why not him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 AM

497 posts, read 1,179,062 times
We watched for the first time the other night. Hubby saw it was on and said, "Let's watch Jay." We both have always liked Jay Leno. He was only a few minutes into his monologue when we looked at each other and said, "This is not funny." He had Drew Barrymore and between Jay's lame questions and her odd looking mouth, it lost me.

Jay seems so out of his element for some reason. Trying too hard perhaps? I miss the desk. He needs to be behind a desk. I think he is going for the casual look, but it just doesn't suit him. He's funnier behind a desk.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:38 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,383,516 times
I hope it works out. I really like him and think some of his stuff is really funny, esp. JayWalking. I agree that his ratings were not too good when he first started doing the tonight show so hopefully this will pick up too. It's a nice option to have in that time slot.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,570,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This is exactly right.

NBC would rather spend 1/10th of what they do on a drama for Leno, and accept poor ratings because of it. Also, they don't want to lose Leno to another network.

He'll be around for 2 years, after that I believe his contract is up. Maybe by then NBC can get a show thats worth something.
they basically did this so he wouldn't go to ABC. Does anybody know what his contract is? Is there a clause that states he can't go to another network for x-amount of time even if the show is cancelled?

Old 09-22-2009, 01:04 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,286,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
TV was ALOT different in the early 90's. The thing is, NBC is so dumb, they will keep him on because they have nothing else.
And they have nothing else because that keep CANCELING EXCELLENT SHOWS!!!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:11 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,253,013 times
His new time slot, new show was supposed to be different but IMO they didn't make it different enough, too much like the 5 other late night shows. Graham Norton on BBCA is the only one I like, has a bit of different format, 2 guests at one time, they include the guests in the sketches as opposed to making you sit through 1/2 to 1/3 of the show with dumb bits.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,353,739 times
Show formats come and go. These worked for many decades....but now people want something fast paced and funny. It isn't Leno's fault, it is just the way the business goes. It isn't as though he doesn't have enough money to retire on.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,917,368 times
Moderator cut: quoted post has been deleted

I heard that last night (Monday) that Leno had 4.1 million viewers. I can't find the link, so do not take it as gospel.

Why is NBC full of moronic executives???

Last edited by Beretta; 09-22-2009 at 11:19 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 09:51 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,237,528 times
The only part of his show that I still like in "Headlines". Other than that, I'd rather watch one of the CSI shows. He isn't nearly as good as he was when he was on late, and even then I liked Letterman more.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,026,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I heard that last night (Monday) that Leno had 4.1 million viewers. I can't find the link, so do not take it as gospel.

Why is NBC full of moronic executives???
Well the numbers vary slightly. the data I got had it at 5.67M But that is the average.

He has even stiffer competition on other nights of the week..like on Thursdays (he's going to take a beating those nights).

I think it was a mistake to move him to 10pm EVERY night of the week.. the show is the same show (basically) that he did at the late night hours.. and as I blogged I was never a regular late night watcher anyway and I certainly wouldn't become one at the 10pm hour with many other shows on the networks

I will say one thing.. it was definitely a gutsy move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV