Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
There are quite a few families and churches in our area with the same beliefs and similar lifestyle of the Duggars....not as many kids, of course, but the same dress and attitude toward life. Most of their children do go to public schools, but the schools are rural and they are very well accepted there.....most of them are the outstanding kids in school - bright, well-liked, self-confident. They participate in activities (some of the girls used to play basketball in their long denim skirts but it didn't slow them down - one went on to become a coach!). A number of them have gone on to college (they lived at home and commuted) and have become teachers in the area. They are good role models for kindness and consideration and self-discipline....we could use a lot more just like them.
The people you describe sound a little more "main stream" than the Duggers. Part of what bothers me about the Duggers is how sheltered the kids are. Public school, school activities, college - all good things in my book. The Duggers don't seem to do any of that, at least not the girls.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:23 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,191,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
someone posted that Jinger "gives off a gay vibe." I don't know about that, but I do think she sometimes gives a look that tells me she may not be into this lifestyle. Almost like rolling her eyes w/o actually doing it.
I'd be rolling my eyes too if my parents gave me a jacked up name spelling to fit in with the rest of the pattern when a name like Jennifer was still available. If I were Jinger and wanted to rebel, I'd blame it on the spelling of my name.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:38 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,489,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
You noticed that too, FND? To each their own but I do find that family a little creepy.
They ARE creepy.

Birthing a kid every 18 months?

Older kids in charge of the younger kids? Handed off, is more like it.

Eventually that woman's uterus is going to slide out with a placenta.

I think they are selfish jerks b/c if they had to take care of the 4 youngest on their own...they wouldn't have any time to baby-dance. I don't get the "we have out older kids to work the baby farm", so to speak, mentality of these nothing more than baby makers. What are they trying to prove? That YOU TOO can have 18 kids and counting if you brain wash your kids with fear and have them tend to all the parenting aspects of the kids younger than them...(while you have more sex and make more babies)?

I'd have more respect for them if they tended to the needs of all their children as parents..not signing up one of their "eldest" to tend to the needs of the little ones that they don't have time for.

There will be a book written by one of the kids when they break away from the cult. And all the creepiness of Jimmy Bobby and the Uterus will come out....

You can like one, the other or neither...at least Jon and Kate appear to be human.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:25 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,135,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
They ARE creepy.

Birthing a kid every 18 months?

Older kids in charge of the younger kids? Handed off, is more like it.

Eventually that woman's uterus is going to slide out with a placenta.

I think they are selfish jerks b/c if they had to take care of the 4 youngest on their own...they wouldn't have any time to baby-dance. I don't get the "we have out older kids to work the baby farm", so to speak, mentality of these nothing more than baby makers. What are they trying to prove? That YOU TOO can have 18 kids and counting if you brain wash your kids with fear and have them tend to all the parenting aspects of the kids younger than them...(while you have more sex and make more babies)?

I'd have more respect for them if they tended to the needs of all their children as parents..not signing up one of their "eldest" to tend to the needs of the little ones that they don't have time for.

There will be a book written by one of the kids when they break away from the cult. And all the creepiness of Jimmy Bobby and the Uterus will come out....

You can like one, the other or neither...at least Jon and Kate appear to be human.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:20 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,610 times
Let it go. Those kids seem far happier and more balanced than the 8 children Jon and Kate have emotionally screwed up.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:45 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,640,396 times
With the exception of Mady, I disagree. I think the Gosselin kids will adjust just fine. I can see them fitting into any social setting. The Duggars, though, are marked from the get-go by their odd style of dress and hairstyles. Should that matter? Of course not, but it does.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:25 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,710,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
Let it go. Those kids seem far happier and more balanced than the 8 children Jon and Kate have emotionally screwed up.
You do have to admit that the Duggar kids seem very confident, happy, intelligent and adjusted. I like them!

It's like how fams were in the old days.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:54 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,489,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
You do have to admit that the Duggar kids seem very confident, happy, intelligent and adjusted. I like them!

It's like how fams were in the old days.
Families in the "old days" of which story book/tv show?

The Duggar kids are very scripted, sheltered, naive and adjusted to life without too much outside intervention.

Their own little cult is what they are.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:40 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Families in the "old days" of which story book/tv show?

The Duggar kids are very scripted, sheltered, naive and adjusted to life without too much outside intervention.

Their own little cult is what they are.
I agree that the Dugger kids for the most part seem to be happy and well mannered. However, I think they are way too sheltered from the real world. I think it is important for kids to know what goes on in the world so they aren't completely naive. I think kids should grow up with choices not so sheltered that they don't even realize that there ARE choices. Those girls will most likely never go to college and never be able to support themselves. God forbid one ends up in an abusive marriage, or her husband leaves her. She'd be SOL. She'd know how to make her own soap and cook a mean tater tot casserole, but that won't feed, clothe, and shelter her 10 kids!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:08 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,522,262 times
I don't know....them Duggar kids just seem to walkin' on eggshells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.