Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 10:15 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,180,010 times

Advertisements

Great episode of Supergirl tonight! One of my favorites of the season so far.

Several points:

The wolf in the arctic that contained some kind of "virus" that created the Parasite creature was obviously ripped off from the great John Carpenter film "The Thing" (1982) - very similar story element(s) here.

Really disturbing seeing
Spoiler
Kara & The Martian Manhunter laid out like that; Kara's skeletal-like face after her energy had been "absorbed" somewhat by The Parasite was horrific looking - very disturbing.

Interesting to see Jimmy become "The Guardian". Haven't followed the Superman comics in years, but I'm guessing this character is taken from the comic series.

Nice to see Mon-El step up - for once.

The bar with the alien creatures is cool; it reminds me somewhat of the creature cantina in the first Star Wars film (1977).

I really felt for Alex;
Spoiler
no one likes being rejected - very sad/poignant scene here. She's completely new to the whole lesbian thing, and was obviously reading something into Maggie Sawyer's behavior that wasn't even there. I'm a straight guy, and even I could tell that Maggie was just being friendly/supportive towards Alex, but didn't really like her "in that way". It will be interesting to see how Alex progresses with her feelings re: being a lesbian as the series continues. Hopefully she'll hook up with another hot woman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 07:36 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,991,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Great episode of Supergirl tonight! One of my favorites of the season so far.
Meh. I had a few problems with it.

Quote:
Several points:

The wolf in the arctic that contained some kind of "virus" that created the Parasite creature was obviously ripped off from the great John Carpenter film "The Thing" (1982) - very similar story element(s) here.
Yep. It was probably a nod to "The Thing."

Quote:
Really disturbing seeing
Spoiler
Kara & The Martian Manhunter laid out like that; Kara's skeletal-like face after her energy had been "absorbed" somewhat by The Parasite was horrific looking - very disturbing.
I didn't find it disturbing, but I just found it kind of odd that with all the foes that they've been up against, a John Carpenter movie wannabe is what almost takes out Kara and J'onn J'onzz. Plus, I was wondering why Winn didn't create a gizmo to counteract The Thing wannabe's deadly absorbing powers.

Quote:
Interesting to see Jimmy become "The Guardian". Haven't followed the Superman comics in years, but I'm guessing this character is taken from the comic series.
I kind of thought that Jimmy, um, I mean James was kind of annoying when he was insisting upon getting the suit before it was ready.

Quote:
Nice to see Mon-El step up - for once.
I wonder why he didn't get 'absored' by The Thing wannabe. Or did it now have to use it's "Alien" second-mouth thing?

Quote:
I really felt for Alex;
Spoiler
no one likes being rejected - very sad/poignant scene here. She's completely new to the whole lesbian thing, and was obviously reading something into Maggie Sawyer's behavior that wasn't even there. I'm a straight guy, and even I could tell that Maggie was just being friendly/supportive towards Alex, but didn't really like her "in that way". It will be interesting to see how Alex progresses with her feelings re: being a lesbian as the series continues. Hopefully she'll hook up with another hot woman
That was an interesting scene, however, it turned out that my OTA antenna needed to be repositioned to get a stable picture for The CW, therefore, my recorded episode went out in the middle of that scene. Plus, because of their stupid deals, Time Warner Cable who owns The CW, yanked The CW from Hulu. Therefore, I'll have to watch the end of the episode through some other means.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:35 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,991,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
That was an interesting scene, however, it turned out that my OTA antenna needed to be repositioned to get a stable picture for The CW, therefore, my recorded episode went out in the middle of that scene. Plus, because of their stupid deals, Time Warner Cable who owns The CW, yanked The CW from Hulu. Therefore, I'll have to watch the end of the episode through some other means.
After eventually watching that scene, personally, I thought that Alex acted a bit childishly. Especially, since Maggie tried to make it clear that 'fresh-off-the-boat' relationships didn't work for her.

Also, I'm still scratching my head as to why the female white Martian would give her blood to J'onn J'onzz knowing that it would change his DNA and make him become a white Martian, thus, eliminating his existence. But is it me, or does the writing seem to be a bit off this season?

Old 11-29-2016, 10:27 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,654,081 times
I'm not feeling this season at all. I feel like things are just being rushed and don't make sense as the pacing was last year. I loved the pacing last year and the chemistry with Kara and Cat and Jimmy.

This season just seems like a cluster. Kara being forced into making with the other Krypton. And while I have nothing against LGBT, Alex's whole gay angle just again feels forced and wedged into the show and it doesn't make much sense compared to last season. Jimmy becoming The Guardian out of the complete blue and his character just changing so abruptly to become a hero hidden from Kara? HUH? Where did that come from?

I feel like if last season didn't exist, this season would be good. But this season basically undoes everything that made last year great and it's turned into this liberal propaganda show, instead of just being Supergirl.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:10 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,774,415 times
Really miss the Kara/Cat relationship. It seems like they are throwing in a zillion storylines to see what sticks.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,739,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I'm not feeling this season at all. I feel like things are just being rushed and don't make sense as the pacing was last year. I loved the pacing last year and the chemistry with Kara and Cat and Jimmy.

This season just seems like a cluster. Kara being forced into making with the other Krypton. And while I have nothing against LGBT, Alex's whole gay angle just again feels forced and wedged into the show and it doesn't make much sense compared to last season. Jimmy becoming The Guardian out of the complete blue and his character just changing so abruptly to become a hero hidden from Kara? HUH? Where did that come from?

I feel like if last season didn't exist, this season would be good. But this season basically undoes everything that made last year great and it's turned into this liberal propaganda show, instead of just being Supergirl.
The bolded part I totally agree with. The whole storyline seems forced and way out of left field. They dont have completely new writers (1 of the 2 from last night wrote episodes in season 1) so it isnt that. I wonder if the figured they needed a love interest for Alex and someone said "hey! let's make her gay". I suppose a by-product is that it keeps Floriana Lima around longer. That part is fine by me! The storyline still feels very square peg/round hole.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:56 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,722,365 times
I don't see the rationale for the concerns. How many gay, regular-cast characters are there on the show? Just the one, I believe. It shouldn't be unexpected that one or even two may be gay. National City isn't some backward area where there is a compulsion to remain in the closet, is it? And LGBT are a significant portion of the viewership of network television with a rather high value placed on its demographics due to their spending habits. Given these realities, how could the producers not have made a change like this?

The only problem I see with it is that it turns the cardboard-cutout character that Chyler Leigh had been playing last season into a real, live human being, that viewers may actually care about. Given that Chyler Leigh is a far better actress than Melissa Benoist, and given that she now has some real emotion to play (between her evolving relationship with her step-sister and now her own internal conflicts about her burgeoning romantic interest), the supporting character is overshadowing the lead in terms of dramatic quality of the performances - especially in stark contrast to the burgeoning relationship between Kara and Mon-El (just thinking about it puts the taste of dust in my mouth - could two people have less chemistry?)

This talent-gap was always a concern with Melissa Benoist. Calista Flockhart seemed to deliberately (and quite generously) play the Cat Grant role in a cartoonish manner, just to give Benoist enough room to be the lead. By contrast, Chyler Leigh is taking this opportunity and running with it. Good for her.

Scroll back in the threads in this forum and you'll find that I was ready to give up on Supergirl before the season started. I'm still watching. I can tell you that it was strictly Alex' and J'onn's backstories that has kept me watching. (Jimmy's character progression, though, does have me a bit perturbed. They needed to do something to not waste Brooks' talent, but this doesn't work for me.)

Old 11-30-2016, 09:48 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,739,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I don't see the rationale for the concerns. How many gay, regular-cast characters are there on the show? Just the one, I believe. It shouldn't be unexpected that one or even two may be gay. National City isn't some backward area where there is a compulsion to remain in the closet, is it? And LGBT are a significant portion of the viewership of network television with a rather high value placed on its demographics due to their spending habits. Given these realities, how could the producers not have made a change like this?
The problem (at least with me) isnt that she's gay. the problem is that it seemed to come out of the blue. In a tv show usually there are hints to the audience that the character is struggling with it so that ultimately we know it is coming before the character realizes it. That didnt happen here so it makes it seem random and forced.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:52 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,654,081 times
^^^ What you just said sums up my issues with this season. I'm fine with gay characters in TV, doesn't bother me. But it's just the fact that last season, Alex was more of the caring step-sister type and was rather one dimensional, to BOOM, I think I'm a lesbian-arc out of nowhere. Had they built up on that last year a bit, I wouldn't care. But they're dedicating so much time to that storyline that it takes away from the core show itself of Supergirl. Like how last year, Kara and Jimmy had a thing, but it was subtle in each episode, not as in your face like Alex/Maggie is. It's 2016, gay characters in a show shouldn't have to be so overdrawn these days, it should be normal.

Also, I hate what they did with Jimmy this season. I could see him being an Superman fanboy, but he was more of a friend/guy around the office. Then they turn him into a hero this year?? Same with the terrible Kara/Mon-El storyline. "He's a pretty boy from Krypton so lets make them hookup now". :cringe:

Old 11-30-2016, 03:56 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,722,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
The problem (at least with me) isnt that she's gay. the problem is that it seemed to come out of the blue. In a tv show usually there are hints to the audience that the character is struggling with it so that ultimately we know it is coming before the character realizes it.
Why is that necessary? It's a change in season, and an inevitable change in focus due to a change in the cast. What makes you think we had as much insight into the character when she was a truly secondary character - when so much of the screen time was tied up with Kara coming to grips with who she is as a superhero and when so much of the screen time was tied up with Kara and Cat's relationship. When you move something in the background to the foreground, you're bound to suddenly see details that weren't evident to you before.

If Season 1 had featured a lot of detail about Alex dating men, I think you'd have a point. It didn't. Like sonnymarkjiz said, Alex was one-dimensional. Now she's not. That is the sudden change. And switching a good actress' character from one-dimensional to multi-dimensional makes the show is better for it (again, regrettably because of the talent gap at the top of the cast). There was no sudden change in Alex's sexuality; we just didn't have enough insight into the character in Season 1 to know much of anything in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
That didnt happen here so it makes it seem random and forced.
They did the suitable buildup to the Kara and Jimmy thing, and even despite that it seemed forced.

I don't agree that A necessarily has to mean B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV