Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 12:06 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times

Advertisements

I am a fan of both shows equally. But in my opinion there is no competition when it comes to what show produces more successful singers.

I have yet to hear from any person who has been on The Voice on the radio. American Idol on the other hand has many award winning alumni. Even an Oscar award winner!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 01:09 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
To be fair, AI has been on the air a long time, and they were the only show of its kind on the air for years, so the very best talent was going to show up there.

Voice has raised the bar extremely high, the top 10 at Voice were the best collection of singers in the history of these shows. I've watched the last few seasons of idol and X factor and when you get down to the final 10, you pretty much know which few singers have no shot....with This year's voice, all 10 are extremely talented, and then down to 8 and now the Voice is down to 6.

What the Voice does well is cuts thru the nonsense, they don't parade joke singers out there (pants on the ground anyone?) they take this contest seriously and i think the fans at home appreciate that.

The bar is raised, maybe Idol has been paying attention to what the Voice has done well, and most of it is not showing one second of footage of someone who isnt a polished and extremely talented performer.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:12 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
On one hand I really don't care about what they do once the show is over as my entertainment is in watching the show and for that entertainment it's an easy choice .... I gave up on AI years ago and haven't missed it a bit

I'm not really looking to purchase anything that is coming out from either show for the most part

Old 11-27-2013, 01:23 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,076 times
Like wall st kid said, "The Voice cuts through the nonsense." It's worth watching The Voice, IMO, for that reason alone. If I could only watch one of them, it would be The Voice.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
I quit watching AI because I got sick of people being made fun of or making fools of themselves. I also don't want to get involved in their private lives or watch them cry. I just don't.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:29 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,328 times
Default Voice for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I have yet to hear from any person who has been on The Voice on the radio.
Casadee Pope (Voice Winner) has a top-20 song (Team Blake) right now in Country Music. The song is "Wasting all these tears on you."

Danielle Bradbury (Voice Winner) (Team Blake) Has the #1 County Music Album/CD this week. She also has a top 20 song "Heart of Dixie".

I hear both songs all the time on Country radio, the past two months since the songs were released and began climbing the charts.

I have not heard other Voice singers on the radio but I only listen to Country Music. I don't know if others have "made it".

Of course Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson are huge, huge, huge stars! All due to Idol! No doubt Idol has created many careers. Kelly Pickler has done well and she was not a winner, many other non-winners have done great including Jennifer Hudson.

In terms of preference I prefer "The Voice" as others have stated, no silliness. No "F-bombs" being dropped when they don't get the "Golden Ticket". I love Keith Urban so tune in, but overall to me "Idol" has been circling the drain with the worn out "theme" nights. The poor kids don't know any songs from "The Beatles" "Motown" etc. The whole Nicky/Mariah thing last season was a hot mess.

I hope they re-tune "Idol" this season.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:52 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I like the Voice better, but I actually have the last 4 episodes waiting on my DVR to be watched. Somehow, I am not caring for it much this season.

I do like American Idol as well, but I am not sure I will be watching it.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:55 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times
Idol is better IMO, The Voice feels more like a competition between the judges and the everything feels more about the judges than the contestants. The contestants always feel very secondary IMO. Also, the Voice has yet to find a star, while idol has produced a platinum selling artist almost every season. I do watch both though, although didn't watch must of the Voice this season(I found it boring). I like the fact that it feels more like a competition between the contestants as opposed to the judges on AI.

Last season wasn't good, but they are making an effort to retool the show this upcoming season. New producers, new judges(with chemistry), etc. I hope they can bounce back. The new producer is from Swedish Idol which is a well produced show.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:21 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
'Wasting All These Years' is currently #11 on the Mediabase national country airplay chart, so I have no idea why you haven't heard it unless you don't listen to country radio.

You can slo expect to hear Ms. Bradbery quite a bit during the upcoming Winter Olympics on NBC.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:18 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
'Wasting All These Years' is currently #11 on the Mediabase national country airplay chart, so I have no idea why you haven't heard it unless you don't listen to country radio.

You can slo expect to hear Ms. Bradbery quite a bit during the upcoming Winter Olympics on NBC.

Who sings "Wasting All These Years". I don't listen to country music stations, but I do like the classic stuff like Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV