Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 06:47 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,777,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Who sings "Wasting All These Years". I don't listen to country music stations, but I do like the classic stuff like Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline.
Cassadee Pope.

I like Danielle Bradbury much more than Cassadee; I think Danielle is more versatile and has truly a better voice.

Also, I agree: there's just no one quite like Johnny Cash or Patsy Cline. But again, I think Danielle could do a creditable job of singing
classic hits from back in the day. She just has so much raw talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:44 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,143,718 times
Default The Voice vs. American Idol

I think The Voice blows away American Idol in terms of talent and musicianship.

The only contestant on American Idol that can even come close to the singers below is Alex Preston.

What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0x66SKfNeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZeSrRGAA4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq7YDEK4quY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQqGBODhtIk

Old 04-11-2014, 12:37 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,826,235 times
It is weird to see my post from last fall. I still agree with me. I prefer "The Voice" and I think the singers are better. That being said, Idol this season is so much better than the last one. Really enjoying their interaction. The song in the earlier posts is "Wasting all these Tears." Not "Wasting all these Years."

I hear Casadee Pope and Danielle Bradbury on country radio several times a day. I hope the release some new songs because after hearing "Heart of Dixie" and "Wasting all these Tears" 10,000 times I am ready to hear something else out of them.

I have many favorites this season on "The Voice". The Idol ones are just OK and I don't really care who wins.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:29 PM

550 posts, read 985,658 times
Nearly all of the talented singers or musicians on The Voice have fallen off the radar. I really liked the last winner Tessanne Chin, but where is she now. The only one witha bit of success is Cassadee Pope, and even then not much. She was ok, but sold out just to have a little success. She was in a pop rock band Hey Monday before The Voice. The only standout this year Sisaundra, shes over the top. The Voice seems to me to be all about the silliness with the judges.

I still like Idol more. The judges are giving more constructive criticism. I think both shows have talent, but American Idol is the only one who have made stars out of complete unknowns. I just like so many of the winners and contestants more than The Voice.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:52 PM

The way I judge the shows is would I buy that contestant's album. This year on The Voice I would buy Bria's and Josh's albums when they come out and on Idol I would only buy Alex's.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:09 PM

550 posts, read 985,658 times
I would buy music from Alex, Caleb, Jena, and Jessica on Idol. Not sure about the Voice this year, but I will buy Tessanne Chin's album. Does she have one coming out? Last year on Idol, nobody interested me enough, but the year before it was Phillip Phillips. Good to see he's having success.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:20 PM

17,647 posts, read 22,675,700 times
Tessanne will have a new album out later this year...

Tessanne Chin: 'The Voice' Season 5 Winner Signs New Deal With ICM Partners - International Business Times

Old 04-11-2014, 03:47 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,559,118 times
I enjoy both shows. I am not into most popular music, so I don't really care who wins. In terms of AI, I no longer watch the auditions, as I am bored with that aspect now.

I basically think Kelly Clarkson was a fluke and her success is largely due to her being the first winner of AI. I honestly believe that if she tried out in a later season, its doubtful she would have won.

I like to think about the great artists from the 70's and wonder if they would have won these competitions. Someone such as Tom Petty, just as an example.

I think that before video became so much a part of popular music, the artists that became famous generally had better voices and more natural musicality and talent. Because they did not have a choice. The radio and small local shows were how they became famous, so if they couldn't deliver through those avenues, they would not become big.

Now its very different. Artists have to look as good as they sound. And there is so much alteration that can be done their voices that people who are very good-looking but have so-so voices can become "stars."

My basic point is that I think it is very hard to become a big success in the music industry, and just because someone can do well in a TV singing competition doesn't mean they are going to have everything it takes to become famous. And that is why I am not surprised that more people on these shows are not famous.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I enjoy both shows. I am not into most popular music, so I don't really care who wins. In terms of AI, I no longer watch the auditions, as I am bored with that aspect now.

I basically think Kelly Clarkson was a fluke and her success is largely due to her being the first winner of AI. I honestly believe that if she tried out in a later season, its doubtful she would have won.

I like to think about the great artists from the 70's and wonder if they would have won these competitions. Someone such as Tom Petty, just as an example.

I think that before video became so much a part of popular music, the artists that became famous generally had better voices and more natural musicality and talent. Because they did not have a choice. The radio and small local shows were how they became famous, so if they couldn't deliver through those avenues, they would not become big.

Now its very different. Artists have to look as good as they sound. And there is so much alteration that can be done their voices that people who are very good-looking but have so-so voices can become "stars."

My basic point is that I think it is very hard to become a big success in the music industry, and just because someone can do well in a TV singing competition doesn't mean they are going to have everything it takes to become famous. And that is why I am not surprised that more people on these shows are not famous.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on Kelly Clarkson. She has an absolutely incredible voice. I just wish she'd do something other than pop. A blues album buy her would be nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRJuyL8KFik

Old 04-15-2014, 05:08 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,720,874 times
Right now, there's no contest, the singers on the Voice are far better, its night and day. This is the worst season of Idol, there's nothing even close on Idol to Delvin Choice, Tess Boyer, Kat Perkins and others, no contest right now. But, that's not to say Idol can't bounce back next season, they need to raise the bar because right now, Voice is crushing them talentwise.

As far as who goes out and makes a name for themselves after the show, that doesn't matter, all that matters is the actual singing on the current season...its extremely hard to get "marketed" someone like Kat Preston is older, tattoos and whatnut, she's not going to be able to "Get famous" after this show, but that doesnt' mean she isnt awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV