Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 06:06 AM

22,925 posts, read 28,302,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Mark... where is all this coming from? Have you ever seen abc's Scandal or How To Get Away With Murder?
Nope. Haven't watched. Not my kind of shows.

Quote:
Mark, I'm beginning to think that because season one was so bad, it just left an impression on you that the show or any of the characters on the show can't grow or evolve or become interesting.
I didn't think Season One was bad at all. In fact, I haven't thought any of the seasons were bad. They just weren't great. They are okay. Nothing horrible. But nothing special either.

Quote:
But I thought that the show did a great job with changing one of their original cast members(Brett Dalton/Ward) from traitorous psychotic villain to monstrous super villain during his final run on the show. How can you get a better or more interesting send off than that?
I didn't buy either. When Ward just had family issues, it made him seem like a pop psycho right out of another dozen made-for-TV movies or just about every three episodes of Criminal Minds. Again, not bad. Just very been-there/done-that. And when he got possessed by the alien, he just became the typical mustache-twirling super villain. I kept expecting him to tie Daisy to the railroad tracks. Again, not bad. But very familiar.

Quote:
Also, in my opinion, the May character was interesting right off the bat and has been one of my favorite characters on the show from day one. And what they did with May and ex-husband, Dr. Garner/Lash was just great this season. Plus, Ming-Na Wen's gorgeous looks doesn't hurt the character at all.
I love Ming-Na Wen, which is why I wish the writers would give her more to do in the team than glower and be the butt-kicking downer on every mission. There have been moments in a few episodes where they have tried to give the character some depth. But it isn't consistent.

Again, I'm not saying AoS is a bad show. It isn't. I'll keep watching. But it had an opportunity to be so much more. Instead it has settled for being a rather typical action/adventure show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 07:32 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,989,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Nope. Haven't watched. Not my kind of shows.

Well, if you did, abc would have done you proud.

Quote:
I didn't think Season One was bad at all.

Well, see... perhaps that's where we have a fundamental difference in the way that we see the show.

Quote:
In fact, I haven't thought any of the seasons were bad. They just weren't great. They are okay. Nothing horrible. But nothing special either.

Hmmm.

Quote:
I didn't buy either. When Ward just had family issues, it made him seem like a pop psycho right out of another dozen made-for-TV movies or just about every three episodes of Criminal Minds. Again, not bad. Just very been-there/done-that.

Okay... so do you have any ideas as to how they could have made Ward different... more interesting?

Quote:
And when he got possessed by the alien, he just became the typical mustache-twirling super villain. I kept expecting him to tie Daisy to the railroad tracks. Again, not bad. But very familiar.

Well, see... That's where we have a fundamental difference in the way that we see the show because I saw 'crowning' Ward as anything but the typical mustache-twirling super villain. He was more like a father figure who cared about the other Inhumans and went out of his way to see that no harm came to them. And as far as expecting him to tie Daisy to the railroad tracks, there was no where in season three where Alveus/Ward wanted any harm to come to Daisy or to any other Inhuman. Also, please don't take this the wrong way, but it seems as if your perception and your opinion of the show is altering the actual facts of the show. And there's nothing wrong with that... because if you don't like a show, you just don't like it. However, it seems like for some reason, you are trying not to admit that.

Quote:
I love Ming-Na Wen, which is why I wish the writers would give her more to do in the team than glower and be the butt-kicking downer on every mission.

But that's who she is, Mark. Also, for being an attractive short little Asian woman, Ming-Na Wen's character, Agent May, actually walks like a man. But I wouldn't want to see her any other way. lol

Quote:
There have been moments in a few episodes where they have tried to give the character some depth. But it isn't consistent.

But that was the point, Mark. And I think it was in season two where they tried to loosen her up and make her friendlier and make her smile more, but something happened(I forgot what it was) which caused her to revert back to her old self. But that was the point, Mark. Because it would be like trying to make Dr. McCoy less cantankerous or make Mr. Spock more warm and friendly and less logical on the original Star Trek series. However, that is who they are, Mark.

And an additional note... throughout the original Star Trek series, they played around with episodes where Spock showed more emotion, but it never stuck. And that's the same thing that they're doing with agent May where more recently in season three, the plan was for her and Andrew to get back together and for her to leave SHIELD, but we all know how that turned out for Melinda.

Quote:
Again, I'm not saying AoS is a bad show. It isn't. I'll keep watching. But it had an opportunity to be so much more. Instead it has settled for being a rather typical action/adventure show.

Hmm. I still would like to know if you have any ideas as to how the show could have been so much more.

P.S. I recently watched S3 E17: "The Team," and I thought that the whole episode was brilliant the way that they had the four Inhumans' suspicions turned them against each other, and the way that the compromised Daisy played everyone and deceived everyone into thinking that Lincoln was the compromised Inhuman. Plus, the fact that the writers chose the sweet and lovable Daisy to be the compromised Inhuman was daring and unconventional in my opinion. Additionally, instead of just doing a 180 on her and making her an outright evil character, they instead put this incredible 'twist' on her where she was still 'Daisy,' but she was willing to do anything for Alveus. And the way that she cold-bloodedly murdered Malick(i.e. by crushing his head) helped contribute to making season three daring, edgy, and most definitely controversial.

Also, sorry for the late post, but I haven't had time to post lately.

Last edited by William Taylor; 09-18-2016 at 08:50 PM..

Old 09-18-2016, 08:04 PM

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but here is some 'trivia' information that I found out about actress Chloe Bennet(Daisy Johnson).

Her real name is Chloe Wang and in real life, she is also half Chinese and half Caucasian the way that her TV character is. Also, even though she was born in Chicago, IL, at 15, she moved to China and lived with her paternal grandmother. And while living in China, Chloe became a Chinese Pop star with two hit singles, "Uh Oh" and "Every Day In Between."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloe_Bennet

Also, here is the video to "Uh Oh." And if you're a Daisy/SHIELD fan, you're going to love it. lol

Old 09-18-2016, 08:37 PM

Funny video. Chloe is really funny:

Old 09-18-2016, 08:54 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,170,832 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but here is some 'trivia' information that I found out about actress Chloe Bennet(Daisy Johnson).

Her real name is Chloe Wang and in real life, she is also half Chinese and half Caucasian the way that her TV character is. Also, even though she was born in Chicago, IL, at 15, she moved to China and lived with her paternal grandmother. And while living in China, Chloe became a Chinese Pop star with two hit singles, "Uh Oh" and "Every Day In Between."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloe_Bennet

Also, here is the video to "Uh Oh." And if you're a Daisy/SHIELD fan, you're going to love it. lol

It is well known among the MCU nerds and gets us to ask why can't she make a cameo in a MCU movie to add Chinese fans to the total box office? It seems as if every other blockbuster has a Chinese actor in a small role even if they won't admit that is why.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:48 PM

Okay, there is only a little bit more than 46 hours until the new season, therefore, if anyone is willing, could you help me with a few questions about the show?

1) In S3 E15: "Spacetime," did Alveus/Ward not know that Malick was going to almost kill Daisy with the exoskeleton that he gave to Malick since Alveus was protective of Inhumans? Also, why did Malick see a vision of Alveus killing him, even though it was Daisy who killed him?

2) In S3 E16: "Paradise Lost," why was Alveus/Ward affected by Gideon Malick's brother Nathaniel's memories of being betrayed by Gideon and sought out revenge for himself by killing Gideon's daughter, and which happened to be his niece? It was a good plot device to help move the story along in the direction of Malick turning against Alveus/Ward, but it didn't make any sense since Alveus doesn't even like humans, let alone, acting out in behalf of one of them.

3) In S3 E18: "The Singularity," why did the writers even bother to explain that the Kree long flat artifact that Alveus and Daisy found buried underneath James' trailer was the one thing that could kill Alveus when it was wasn't even used to kill Alveus? Or is that an implication that Alveus isn't really dead. Also, see the 1:18 through the 2:00 mark:

Therefore, did the writers change their minds about this artifact, or have we not seen the last of Alveus(but not particularly Brett Dalton since I think this was his last year on the show) on Agents of SHIELD?

Old 09-22-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It is well known among the MCU nerds and gets us to ask why can't she make a cameo in a MCU movie to add Chinese fans to the total box office? It seems as if every other blockbuster has a Chinese actor in a small role even if they won't admit that is why.
Hi, Taiko. I just noticed your post today because when I logged in today, I noticed that I had a "reputation" point for my post with the Chloe video before your post. lol

But to answer your question: You probably make a good point. Especially if Chloe is as popular in China as she seems she is. Also, with the various Asian actors and actresses that SHIELD has had over the years, I'm sorry to admit this, but I didn't realize that the MCU movies didn't have any Asian actors in them.

Also, in my opinion, I thought that Iron-Man 3 really dropped the ball when they made the Mandarin a non-Asian character.(Or was he an Asian character who was played by a Caucasian actor, which in my opinion would have made it worse.) But what do I know considering that IM3 was a $400 million dollar movie in the United States and a $1 billion and 215 million dollor movie internationally. However, IM3 really didn't do too much for me as far as liking it.

But you are right, Taiko. However, according to this article:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-there-...vel-characters

it's suppose to be because of the lack of Asian Marvel characters.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:30 PM

Okay, now the new season.

(Dragnet theme) Dun, Dun, Dun-Dun... Dun, Dun, Dun-Dun, Duuuuuun. lol

Oh boy. I don't know, I don't know, I don't know.

But one thing that I can say is that this season was definitely going after young male viewers.

I mean, you could almost see the testosterone dripping off the television screen. lol

Also, a close up shot of Daisy putting on her tighty-whities. Or should I say her tighty-blackies.

Also, what else? Well, instead of the subtle flirting between Mack and Eleana, Eleana is now more aggressively proposing to jump Mac's bones. lol

Also, the whole tint and hue of the show is very dark with a lot of black shadows in the scenes.

Plus, ghosts and fiery headed demons walking all around. Yikes! It's Halloween. lol

But all and all, so far the season premiere didn't really do too much for me.(Although Ghost Rider's catching-on-fire car flip after getting hit by the grenade was pretty cool.)

Also, I hope that I didn't offend Mark S. with my post #672, but I'm now wondering if I'm going to be the one not looking forward to the next episode, but perhaps now Mark will. lol

Old 09-22-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
(Although Ghost Rider's catching-on-fire car flip after getting hit by the grenade was pretty cool.)
Okay, I found it on youtube.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:53 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,170,832 times
Quote:
Hi, Taiko. I just noticed your post today because when I logged in today, I noticed that I had a "reputation" point for my post with the Chloe video before your post. lol

But to answer your question: You probably make a good point. Especially if Chloe is as popular in China as she seems she is. Also, with the various Asian actors and actresses that SHIELD has had over the years, I'm sorry to admit this, but I didn't realize that the MCU movies didn't have any Asian actors in them.

Also, in my opinion, I thought that Iron-Man 3 really dropped the ball when they made the Mandarin a non-Asian character.(Or was he an Asian character who was played by a Caucasian actor, which in my opinion would have made it worse.) But what do I know considering that IM3 was a $400 million dollar movie in the United States and a $1 billion and 215 million dollor movie internationally. However, IM3 really didn't do too much for me as far as liking it.

But you are right, Taiko. However, according to this article:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-there-...vel-characters

it's suppose to be because of the lack of Asian Marvel characters.

Remember Gandhi? Since his father is said to be of the Gujarti people of India Ben Kingsley, The Mandarin or not with the Marvel One Shot reboot, is as "Asian" as Chloe Bennett is in modern usage of the term. But of course with a lot of Iron Man source going to the early 1960s the question as soon as the first movie was announced was how would they ever be able to put his greatest foe on screen given current sensibilities. Moving from Vietnam to Afghanistan being the first step.

There have been Asian roles in Age of Ultron with the Korean doctor but I am curious about China itself where franchises like the Transformers made a point to visit not just Asian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV