Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 10:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,569,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
P2 just doesn't do it for me. I just think he's the same week after week after week. I don't see the hype personally.

You (and others) say P2 sounds the same every week ... but that's because he has a very distinctive sound. Many of the greatest singers have their own distinctive sound. Would you criticize the late, great Freddie Mercury as sounding the same on every song? Sam Cooke? James Taylor? Robert Plant? Roy Orbison? Carly Simon? Marvin Gaye? Rod Stewart? If you heard any of them sing a dozen songs, each song would "sound the same".

I hope I'm wrong about Jessica. She was more emotional and "into" the second song tonight than any other performance except perhaps one. But I still dont think she connects that well. She seems to have more family stress to win than anyone else. She said she doesnt know how to do anything other than sing, but I wonder whose choice it was for her to enter competitions at the age of 5 or 7?

Again, I predict that Hollie goes home tomorrow and Jessica goes home next week.

I'm ok with either P2 or Joshua winning. My personal preference is P2 but I can see Joshua being more successful in his genre. He's a bit too much in tune with his feminine side for me -- and I dont mean that to imply that he's gay. I wish he'd wear a different cut of pants and place his feet differently. The way he holds his feet throws his body off so much that I almost have to close my eyes so I can enjoy his beautiful, powerful voice and not to be distracted by his stance.

Last edited by TFW46; 05-09-2012 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: to correct typo error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 11:06 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,616,136 times
What a spectacular show! I have no complaints! May the best budding idol win!!!!!

LMAO at how some of you critique this thing to death like you are professionals in the biz LOL

Steven wins dude looks like a hottie of the night. Needs to put his hair in a pony more often!!!!!

Carry on....

Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,270,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
You (and others) say P2 sounds the same every week ... but that's because he has a very distinctive sound. Many of the greatest singers have their own distinctive sound. Would you criticize the last, great Freddie Mercury as sounding the same on every song? Sam Cooke? James Taylor? Robert Plant? Roy Orbison? Carly Simon? Marvin Gaye? Rod Stewart? If you heard any of them sing a dozen songs, each song would "sound the same".

I hope I'm wrong about Jessica. She was more emotional and "into" the second song tonight than any other performance except perhaps one. But I still dont think she connects that well. She seems to have more family stress to win than anyone else. She said she doesnt know how to do anything other than sing, but I wonder whose choice it was for her to enter competitions at the age of 5 or 7?

Again, I predict that Hollie goes home tomorrow and Jessica goes home next week.

I'm ok with either P2 or Joshua winning. My personal preference is P2 but I can see Joshua being more successful in his genre. He's a bit too much in tune with his feminine side for me -- and I dont mean that to imply that he's gay. I wish he'd wear a different cut of pants and place his feet differently. The way he holds his feet throws his body off so much that I almost have to close my eyes so I can enjoy his beautiful, powerful voice and not to be distracted by his stance.
I believe you're missing the whole point. Of course I wouldn't complain about those artists sounding the same. And I'm a huge Michael Jackson fan...you wanna talk about distinct sounds, look at him. He's the best selling artist for his distinct sound and ways and keeping everything the same for his career.

But they didn't get to where they are through a reality television show. People complain Jessica shows no personality, so what does she do, she goes out there and dances a bit last week. People said Hollie can't sing fast paced songs, only ballads. Guess what, she went out there and sang a fast song and showed a lot of personality.

I never said I didn't think P2 couldn't sing, I just don't see the hype. American Idol is all about adapting to new genres and styles, but all I've ever seen from him is take a Dave Matthews point to his performances. That's it. If the judges critique him, he shrugs and has said "Oh well, that's not me". Sure, when their career starts they can be whoever they want to be, just like the other artists you mentioned, but that's why I respect the other 3 out of the top 4 the most. They've put themselves out there more. They've tried the slow songs, the fast songs, the performances where they stand or sit still and then go on to try and do a little dancing or whatever.

Obviously P2 has a huge following because he's still there and has never been in the bottom. But, if I wanna hear him sing, I'll just turn on my Dave Matthews CD. To me, that's all he is, a young Dave Matthews.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,774,591 times
My girl, Hollie did good on the first song. (I am not referring Hollie as my significant other or something like that. Don't get any funny ideas gobucks) On the second song, she sang it too soft and it convinced me that she doesn't have the vocal ability like Skylar does. Meaning she isn't powerful as Skylar. I wished Hollie got bumped off instead of Skylar last week. Sorry but now Hollie got hit by a semi and doesn't look like she will survive. If we say bye bye to Hollie (I'm afraid it will happen), P2 better goes home.

Jess and Joshua has great voices. They put power into the voices. However, I am not able to connect with them and sometimes as I feel no emotion from them. At this point I don't really care who wins. I'll still watch it but won't matter to me anymore.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:28 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,662,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Joshua's first song was good not great. I think they got the mixing wrong at the beginning which meant that it was hard to hear him sing over the music. But he got there in the end.
Speaking of the mixing - I thought the arrangement was a big part of the problem for Hollie last night - especially on her first song. Unlike Joshua, though, she didn't get there in the end (besides a few bars).
Quote:
Well, I always was a fan of the blues ...... and Jessica has just put in a very strong performance. That was very mature.
Mature is an excellent way to put it - absolutely. That's another thing Hollie lacks in her singing/performance - she has it in spades when it comes to taking rejection, though. Tough cookie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I liked P2's songs tonight but I'm not completely sure if it's him or that sax player he usually has beside him I like. She's great for sure. She really rocks that sax.
I like that sax player too and really dug the strings this time with him, too. Of all the contestants, Philip seems to have the best relationship with the musicians and he always acknowledges them after his performance. That definitely counts for something.
Quote:
Joshua just showed us (remember I am in the West) why he is the best singer on this show by a long way. Today, James Brown, last week the Bee Gees. Tremendous versatility, tremendous interpretive ability, and a voice that is out of this world.
Totally! Joshua is so much more versatile than I realized. He can sing anything! He has a knack for knowing when to sing it like we've heard it before and when he can work in his own Joshua style. They praise Philip for making everything his own but, actually, I think Joshua does it even more and more seamlessly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Oh Hollie, how I love her, but the judges are just so hard on her. Ugh. I hope she survives, I wanna see her "coming home" video diary thing they do.
Oh good lord - I'd forgotten about those home town visits. Yet another reason I hope Hollie goes tomorrow. Unlike you, hers is the video I least want to see. Just think, though, if she goes tomorrow she's one step closer to saying 'I do' to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
Wow, I'm not a big Hollie fan, but - jeeze the judges really dumped on her tonight. I gotta say, though, she takes it like a champ. But you could see she was pretty upset.
She definitely does. It's one of the things I admire most about her. She can take her own criticism but shows plenty of emotion when others are sent packing. Too bad she can't pull more of that emotion into her performances - it's like she's always in critique mode instead of feel real mode.
Quote:
Overall, I agree her non-singing performance isn't so hot - she'd translate on radio but not live. Joshua, on the other hand, could put on a real show. Joshua's the only sure thing for me. I'm having trouble deciding if I'd rather see Philip or Jessica in the final. I'd never listen to Jessica but she's so good. Philip is a talented artist who I would listen to but he isn't half the singer the Js are. Dilemma!

GoBucks
, I hear you about the range and going outside their comfort zone. Joshua does that the most and Philip the least. Joshua moves toward the challenge whereas Philip does his best to make every challenge highlight his very particular style.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:39 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,366,920 times
Quote:

I also think Hollie goes next. My HOPE is the next one is Jessica...but I think she's going to go on to win. Which would be an irony, seeing as the judges had to "save" her or she'd be sitting on the couch watching like we are now. She certainly has pipes...but she just doesn't do anything for me and I don't find her interesting to watch. I thought her first song last night was ridiculous...but the judges fell all over it. She didn't get the criticism Hollie did about the song being too young for her because she didn't have the "life experience" to sing it. Was the same thing to me. There's just something about a 16-year-old growling these "worldly" songs that I find annoying and pretentious.

As for the boldfaced part about Joshua...thought I was the only one distracted by his pants!! Not to mention that white cowl-neck type shirt...what kind of fashion statement was that?? (Reminded me of one of the Wayans brothers in a Scream movie I think -- he ties up his white shirt and says "does this look gay"? When they say no, he ties it up a very feminine way and asks, "does it look gay NOW?")

I have to say I REALLY liked Philip's slow song last night, with the lone woman singer as backup...Volcano its name was? I totally agreed with Steven...I could listen to that over and over. The very best performance he has given, at least to me. I still don't see him winning but he certainly is going to have a career!

I think it comes down to Josh and Jessica, alas on the latter....

Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 AM

18,553 posts, read 31,838,697 times
OMG so last night I saw 2 performers so far this year. Joshua, OMG, that was freaking painful to listed to. It was like saying OK, I will show you how loud I can scream... The judges went absolutely nuts over his singing, I was like WTF, are they kidding me??, it was horrible to listen too.

So now the chick comes on and she is singing .."and I am telling you", OK, another one, look how loud I can scream. She killed that song, and she was also painful to listen to, mid way through her song I had to get up and say, I cant listen to these voices anymore, they are horrible to listen to.

there, I feel better now....am i the only one that feels this way?, maybe i am too old, but the both of them really were not pleasant to listen to.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:52 AM

637 posts, read 1,032,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
I also think Hollie goes next. My HOPE is the next one is Jessica...but I think she's going to go on to win. Which would be an irony, seeing as the judges had to "save" her or she'd be sitting on the couch watching like we are now. She certainly has pipes...but she just doesn't do anything for me and I don't find her interesting to watch. I thought her first song last night was ridiculous...but the judges fell all over it. She didn't get the criticism Hollie did about the song being too young for her because she didn't have the "life experience" to sing it. Was the same thing to me. There's just something about a 16-year-old growling these "worldly" songs that I find annoying and pretentious.

As for the boldfaced part about Joshua...thought I was the only one distracted by his pants!! Not to mention that white cowl-neck type shirt...what kind of fashion statement was that?? (Reminded me of one of the Wayans brothers in a Scream movie I think -- he ties up his white shirt and says "does this look gay"? When they say no, he ties it up a very feminine way and asks, "does it look gay NOW?")

I have to say I REALLY liked Philip's slow song last night, with the lone woman singer as backup...Volcano its name was? I totally agreed with Steven...I could listen to that over and over. The very best performance he has given, at least to me. I still don't see him winning but he certainly is going to have a career!

I think it comes down to Josh and Jessica, alas on the latter....
I agree everything, including that slow song P2 did, very good.

Joshua received a well deserved standing O from judges,
however they also gave, IMO, a somewhat reluctant standing O
to Jessica. I thought Jessica sang her heart out more in desperation,
too much emotion, to the point where I didn't enjoy the song.

Again, the judges were too harsh on Hollie, to her credit she took it well,
probably wrong song choice for her but she didn't sing it poorly,
she sang it in key

Joshua did an amazing job on the James Brown song,
I have a DVD of James Brown singing it on Ed Sullivan Show in 1966.
IMO Joshua blew away JB, however JB had the moves that
nobody could touch, let's just say both Mick Jagger and Michael Jackson
were "influenced" by James Brown's moves.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,871,580 times
Although it seemed totally inappropriate for one so young to be singing that Etta James song, I thought Jessica did an amazing job on it and really got the bluesy feeling down just right. You could tell from her second song that she badly wants to stay and be the winner, but I personally wasn't as impressed with her rendition of the song as I expected to be. No doubt, she's a fantastic singer, but I too have trouble really connecting with her or feeling her connection to the audience.

Hollie's first song was great compared to her second, but it really didn't wow me. I like her a lot and admire her perseverance through all the criticism, but just based on the other three performances, I think she's the one who should leave this week.

This was one of the only weeks that I can honestly say I truly enjoyed both of Phillip's songs. That "Volcano" song he chose was awesome! I have to agree with Jennifer said about his voice sounding different last night than she's heard before. I felt the same way, and I liked him so much better than I did earlier. Still think he doesn't have the vocal range or ability to perform really different types of music like Joshua can.

I don't know where he draws his emotion from when he delivers those songs like he doe, but Joshua is over the top when it comes to being talented. From Josh Groban to James Brown? Come on! That boy can sing anything. Not ony can he sing, but his performances are flawless, and he really connects with the audience. I would go to a concert of his right now.

I know who the final two should be, but I'm still not sure who they will be. Right now, though, I'm hoping for Joshua to take the prize. I believe he has the most all-around natural talent and personality, and he also seems very genuine and humble. I don't care if he's gay or not. He's darn good!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:31 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,556,235 times
I loved Phillip, I loved Hollie, Joshua was powerful, and Jessica just screamed......

I voted for Phillip and Hollie- Joshua will have a career no matter what- Jessica needs to go home tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV