Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 02:54 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,427,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Actually, the TV show which introduced Spielberg to the nation was 'Columbo', although his debut as a director had come in 1969 on 'Night Gallery'.

Spielberg directed the 'Columbo' season premiere, as opposed to the pilot episode which had aired in March of the same year, which aired on Sept. 15th, 1971, as well as an episode of 'Owen Marshall: Counselor At Law', which aire 15 days later on Sept. 30th.

'Duel' had its television premiere two months later on Nov. 13th.

The episode was entitled 'Murder By the Book', with Jack Cassidy & Martin Milner as guest stars.

'Columbo' & 'McMillan & Wife' both premiered in the fall of 1971 as part of the NBC 'Mystery Movie Trilogy', alongside 'McCloud', which had been on the air for over a year.
Spielberg also did a movie for the week called 'tribes'. It was in essense a personal play about the growing relationship between a drill sergent at boot camp and a hippy draftee he is determined to control. But what happens is both are equally determined to not let the other win and a respect grows between them. It was extremely good, but subtle, no big events but a growing tide of small ones. I have a feeling there would have to be some issue thrown in today like race of something of that type since we don't seem to appreciate stories just about generic people. We want them well labeled so the moral is clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 02:59 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,427,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
Maybe they should show the originals like Duel,Sybill,Go Ask Alice all the old 70s classics .There are lots of them starring great actors. I would watch them.
And the Philp Whily(?sp) episode of Name of the Game from his book, LA 2017. I remember the thing which seemed the strangest to me were the grey haired rock bands and the grey haired fans who cheered. Rock and grey hair just didn't seem to mat for me then.... I thought of that when McCartney was standing next to the Queen when her celebration was closing. Who would have thunk it?

But its still got a point and just advance the date it still has a lot to say.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:51 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,958,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Spielberg also did a movie for the week called 'tribes'.

Imdb credits Joseph Sargent as the director.

Tribes (TV Movie 1970) - IMDb

Old 08-21-2014, 03:05 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,568,779 times
Reminds me of the after school specials when I was a kid!

Old 02-19-2017, 03:05 PM

Default Who remembers ABC's "Movie of the Week"?

An anthology of 90-minute movies that aired from 1969 to 1975, sometimes twice a week. Some of the famous ones were "Duel", "Brian's Song", and "Trilogy of Terror". Again, the casting was often terrific, combining established stars, up-and-comers, and veterans from Hollywood's Golden Age.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:16 PM

32,525 posts, read 27,837,913 times
Crowhaven Farm

Brian's Song

The Over The Hill Gang

Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate

Mr. and Mrs. Bo Jo Jones,

If Tomorrow Comes

That Certain Summer

And my all time favorite; "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark"

Needless to say I was and wouldn't go to sleep with the lights off for weeks afterwards. Finally Mother said "enough" and that "it was just a television program". *LOL*

Old 02-20-2017, 06:43 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,076,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
An anthology of 90-minute movies that aired from 1969 to 1975, sometimes twice a week. Some of the famous ones were "Duel", "Brian's Song", and "Trilogy of Terror". Again, the casting was often terrific, combining established stars, up-and-comers, and veterans from Hollywood's Golden Age.
I remember them well. Duel and The Day After were two of my favorites. Mondays at work were spent talking about the previous night's Movie of the Week.

Duel was Speilberg's first movie. My DVD has a lot of very interesting details and interviews on how the movie was made. I especially enjoyed the bit about how Speilberg literally "interviewed" trucks until he found just the right one with just the right menacing face.

Was See No Evil with Mia Farrow a Movie of the Week? It was very good, and I've looked for the DVD, but it's too expensive whenever I've found it. Very scary. Especially when she was running the bath water with her bloody uncle in the tub. And when she lay down for a nap and didn't know she was right next to her butchered cousin.

Link to See No Evil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/See_No_Evil_(1971_film)

Last edited by MyNameIsBellaMia; 02-20-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-20-2017, 07:17 AM

12,858 posts, read 17,030,563 times
The Day After terrified me. We looked forward to the movie of the week, popcorn and all around the tv.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:23 AM

"The Day After" appeared in the early 1980s, after the "Movie of the Week" series ended.
"See No Evil" was a big-screen release.
The MOTW series consisted of movies made especially for television. The series ran from 1969 to 1975.
Here is a MOTW intro:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6kcgQ_B6xUw
Because hundreds of TV movies have been produced since the 1960s, it can be confusing as to which were part of a series and which were not. A movie made for the big screen and later shown on TV doesn't count as a TV movie. Since the 1990s, TV movies have disappeared from ABC, CBS, and NBC. The cheapos that appear on cable networks these days aren't nearly as good as the older ones. The actors tend to be little-knowns. All the good character actors are dead. Sigh.

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 02-20-2017 at 08:44 AM..

Old 02-20-2017, 08:44 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,295,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I remember them well. Duel and The Day After were two of my favorites. Mondays at work were spent talking about the previous night's Movie of the Week.

Duel was Speilberg's first movie. My DVD has a lot of very interesting details and interviews on how the movie was made. I especially enjoyed the bit about how Speilberg literally "interviewed" trucks until he found just the right one with just the right menacing face.

Was See No Evil with Mia Farrow a Movie of the Week? It was very good, and I've looked for the DVD, but it's too expensive whenever I've found it. Very scary. Especially when she was running the bath water with her bloody uncle in the tub. And when she lay down for a nap and didn't know she was right next to her butchered cousin.

Link to See No Evil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/See_No_Evil_(1971_film)

okay duel was the one with the late great dennis weaver correct ? boy do I miss those actors Darren mcgavin , dennis weaver , don knots they all passed on the same weekend is that not weird or what ? but yes I remember them .We don't have actors of that caliber anymore and that is sad .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV