Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:17 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,332,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I think it would work great for Saturday or Sunday night's when the normal drama's and Sitcoms arent on.

The movie of the week used to be on Sunday nights. I always looked forward to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 04:12 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,285,522 times
If they made it commercial-free, it might work. Otherwise I enjoy HBO and Showtime. Its worth a few extra bucks to not be shouted at or insulted.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
If they could turn out made for TV movies like "Duel", I would watch. They cann't, they won't, so I wouldn't.
You know your movies.

FYI for those not familiar with it, "Duel" was the made-for-TV movie by Universal that brought Stephen Spielberg to the attention of, well, just about everybody in the industry. He directed, Dennis Weaver and an 18-wheeler starred.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,332,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You know your movies.

FYI for those not familiar with it, "Duel" was the made-for-TV movie by Universal that brought Stephen Spielberg to the attention of, well, just about everybody in the industry. He directed, Dennis Weaver and an 18-wheeler starred.

I thought that's what that movie was but I didn't want to be wrong again. LOL That was one of the most suspenseful movies I have ever seen! I never realized Spielberg was behind it. It's been what, 30 or more years since it was made? I can remember watching it like it was yesterday. Good, good movie.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:01 AM

867 posts, read 1,382,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I thought that's what that movie was but I didn't want to be wrong again. LOL That was one of the most suspenseful movies I have ever seen! I never realized Spielberg was behind it. It's been what, 30 or more years since it was made? I can remember watching it like it was yesterday. Good, good movie.
You can see how new filmmakers could take addvantage of the exposure from the small screen.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:18 PM

25,892 posts, read 20,849,117 times
It would be nice to see this format come back, but, it seems highly unlikely given the trends toward more unscripted programming on the networks.
The cable channels, ironically, many owned by the big three, seem to be the only ones willing to contract for scripted anything these days and while they are nowhere near the quality of the originals from the 70s, there are new movies produced and aired pretty much every week on some cable channel or another - Lifetime, SyFy... Of course, they tend to be demo-specific, but, at least the format isn't gone completely.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
1971. (I looked it up.) I remember when it came out. The reaction was enormous! Just huge.

Here are two more made-for-TV movies that made a big impact: "The Execution of Private Slovick" and "That Certain Summer". Both starred Martin Sheen. Remember those?

One more with Martin Sheen: "Sweet Hostage" with Linda Blair. I think all three of those were made by Universal which was the made-for-TV powerhouse.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 PM

5,651 posts, read 19,425,531 times
I think they kind of do this on the Hallmark channel.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:45 AM

18,575 posts, read 31,883,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post

You are correct. I watch Hallmark channel, as I find it very relaxing at night, especially after a long hard day at work.....

There is a movie on this week with pam Grier, Florence henderson and some one else about 3 women building a house, I have seen it years ago, a real tear jerker, but good.

I am also a great fan of (my sons make fun of me on this one) "The Good Witch", I just love it..................

Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 AM

867 posts, read 1,382,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post

They do, but i'm looking for a varity of genres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV