Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:31 PM

602 posts, read 2,070,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2Cairo View Post
DONT MOVE HERE. ITS SO HOT PEOPLE SPEND ALL DAY INDOORS=NO LIFE=STAYING INDOORS ALL THE TIME.

Nice weather? The sun is beating down on you constantly, you're living in the DESERT, people. If you forget the sunglasses you WILL return home with a headache from squinting..and thats just a trip to a few grocery stores!.
Why'd you move there from New York if you don't like the desert? Did you get there and were suddenly surprised to find this out?

Quote:
I am no pasty-skinned Anglo Saxon but if I forget my lotion w/ sunscreen I WILL return home with redness on my cheeks. And thats just walking to and from classes.
Even swarthy non Anglos Saxons burn. Who knew?

Quote:
Cockroaches, bad schools, crazy drivers, water has too much minerals in it. If you want a beach youre going to have to drive hours and hours to get there.

Take out the University and the Air Force Base and Tucson would be a backwater town full of retirement communities. It's the honest truth.
Sounds like you've been pretty miserable there. Different strokes. I loved it. You're apparently not into hiking and outdoor activities. I hiked even in the summer. For me, the only uncomfortable months were July and August, because it's a bit more humid during monsoon season. 100 and low humidity is far more comfortable than 90 and high humidity to me.

I lived in 3 different places in Tucson and never had any issues with cockroaches, or any other unwelcome critters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 AM

14 posts, read 85,677 times
Default good area to live

We bought our house four years ago as a vacation home and then retired down here. So our house would set empty for 6 months and never had any problems. I don't know whats wrong with these people that stay indoors, one of the things we like about Tucson and out where we live is you can do stuff outdoors year round. However, we would not work outside during the middle of summer. We live in a housing development on the southwest side about
20 -30 min. out of town called Diamond Bell Ranch. All the homes are stick built on a min of one acre. Peaceful, quiet, beautiful mountian views, lots of wild life. Good neighbors that look out for each other, no crime, no police sirens. Lots of people take walks with kids and dogs. Have both retired people and families out here. If you like four wheeling, you can take off right from your house and there are miles and miles of state land to ride or the same for horse back riding. We have city water, DSL, natural gas out here.
Very very nice area, I love it. Beautiful sunsets, but the peace and quiet make it worth while to live 20-30 min out of town. They are expanding the Target Mall on Irvington to include a new movie theatre and a lot more shops.
There are also plans to put a Walmart super store further out this direction, which will be nice. Close to here there are restaurants, pizza, gas, grocery, dollar store, ace hardware, anything else is 20 min. but there's been a lot of development from town this direction so its just a matter of time. Now is a good time to buy. The Tucson multiple listing website is: Tucson MLS and if you are interested in seeing whats out here just put Diamond Bell Ranch in the development field when you search.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:56 PM

32 posts, read 125,089 times
Tucson is a great place. A lot of Canadians come here in motor homes for the winter and stay at the Voyager Resort in South east tucson.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 PM

4,578 posts, read 4,124,559 times
Quote:
DONT MOVE HERE. ITS SO HOT PEOPLE SPEND ALL DAY INDOORS=NO LIFE=STAYING INDOORS ALL THE TIME.

Nice weather? The sun is beating down on you constantly, you're living in the DESERT, people. If you forget the sunglasses you WILL return home with a headache from squinting..and thats just a trip to a few grocery stores!

I am no pasty-skinned Anglo Saxon but if I forget my lotion w/ sunscreen I WILL return home with redness on my cheeks. And thats just walking to and from classes.

Cockroaches, bad schools, crazy drivers, water has too much minerals in it. If you want a beach youre going to have to drive hours and hours to get there.

Take out the University and the Air Force Base and Tucson would be a backwater town full of retirement communities. It's the honest truth.

I agree completely with this statement. Not to mention, if any water problems occur the housing values could plummet.

I would never have moved from the midwest if there were job opportunities and I can only dream of an opportunity to move to Canada.

Wanna trade houses if you don't like Canada?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:10 PM

4,578 posts, read 4,124,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
Why'd you move there from New York if you don't like the desert? Did you get there and were suddenly surprised to find this out?

Even swarthy non Anglos Saxons burn. Who knew?

Sounds like you've been pretty miserable there. Different strokes. I loved it. You're apparently not into hiking and outdoor activities. I hiked even in the summer. For me, the only uncomfortable months were July and August, because it's a bit more humid during monsoon season. 100 and low humidity is far more comfortable than 90 and high humidity to me.

I lived in 3 different places in Tucson and never had any issues with cockroaches, or any other unwelcome critters.
Lets see, first of all AZ is just a retirement home and tax haven for businesses and hostile to unions. Thats why salaries here are crap, but businesses here can get away with it so they move here. Otherwise people would stay where they want to live. I want to live in the midwest, but unfortunately businesses pull that garbage and move here because of cheap taxes, so I'm stuck here.

I hike in the summer here and I hike in Michigan. I hate carrying 4 gallons of water to avoid dying. Camping and hiking here is a ridiculous joke and is made miserable by the lack of water. Anyone who argues with that, I honestly believe has never hiked somewhere where a good water source can be found.

I haven't seen any critters because the sun and the heat kill them all. Sort of like the sun here gives people skin cancer and kills them.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 PM

307 posts, read 1,399,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post

I haven't seen any critters because the sun and the heat kill them all. Sort of like the sun here gives people skin cancer and kills them.

This quote made me giggle like a twelve year old school girl in a 6 inch uniform skirt...

Are you sure you are from Tucson?? Because I've lived here for eight years and I tan out in the sun maybe.. once a week during the summer maybe for over an hour and a half. (I am also European, so I am...white and do not get sunburn) Do not have cancer, and yes I do check go to the dermatologist annually.

Those little "Critters" are mostly scorpions, and snakes, and I've heard there are pigs!! But they are used to the heat!! Just know this Phoenix is much worse then Tucson!.

I hate Tucson by the way. After I get my bachelors degree at U of A. NYC here I come!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson