Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 AM

911 posts, read 2,155,406 times

Advertisements

We would like to get a house near Tucson for getaway purposes.. Our primary residence being in WI. I have reynaud's and arthritis, so the climate could be a good thing for me. The issue is that I need to keep my arms out of the sun, due to skin damage. Is Tucson doable with long sleeves? Maybe with a lighter material? There's things specific to Tucson that attract us, so we're not really interested in anywhere further than an hour from there. Is there anywhere near Tucson where it might be more bearable with sleeves? (also, I thing long sleeves and shorts look weird, so my general attire is long sleeves and long pants) an impossibility in Tucson? Would I be miserable? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 03:31 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Interesting question, Famlife.

Tucson is anything but a Slave To Fashion type of town. In fact, just about any attire is acceptable.

Good Luck

Old 10-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the input.. Good to know that it's not a NYC fashion-wise, but I was more concerned about if it was doable in the heat, rather than if it would be fashionable. Does anyone ever wear long sleeves there in the summertime?

Old 10-06-2011, 03:50 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
I'm sure some people do, but it's very hot during the summer, so most people would tend to opt for sunscreen with a high SPF over long sleeves.

I live in Phoenix, which is somewhat hotter in the summer, but, honestly, most people run from air conditioned home to air conditioned car to air conditioned office/gym/mall/school, etc. so if you wear long sleeves, and the heat doesn't kill you, you'll probably welcome them when the a/c gets chilly. Lots of people dress in layers.

Last edited by Kimballette; 10-06-2011 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-06-2011, 04:05 PM

I wish the sunscreen was an option! LoL okay.. excluding May-September, would it be awful? Thanks so much!

Old 10-06-2011, 05:12 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,075 times
I work outside every day and many people wear long sleeves in the summer. If you drive by a landscaping crew, you will often see many in the crew wearing long sleeves.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:12 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
We would like to get a house near Tucson for getaway purposes.. Our primary residence being in WI. I have reynaud's and arthritis, so the climate could be a good thing for me. The issue is that I need to keep my arms out of the sun, due to skin damage. Is Tucson doable with long sleeves? Maybe with a lighter material? There's things specific to Tucson that attract us, so we're not really interested in anywhere further than an hour from there. Is there anywhere near Tucson where it might be more bearable with sleeves? (also, I thing long sleeves and shorts look weird, so my general attire is long sleeves and long pants) an impossibility in Tucson? Would I be miserable? Thanks!
Like Billy said! If you look at many people who spend all day on their jobs out in the sun ( landscapers, yard maintanace etc) most all wear light weight long sleeved shirts to keep the sun off of them. I am fair skinned, go to the dermatologist yearly, I wear long sleeve shirts when I do yard work. I also wear long sleeve dress shirts in the summer when I go on appointments. Not sure about your own conditon, guess you would have to weigh the positives against the negatives of wearing long sleeved shirts and pants. Also, how much of your day will you actually be outside in the sun versus inside with AC?

Old 10-06-2011, 06:24 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input.. Good to know that it's not a NYC fashion-wise, but I was more concerned about if it was doable in the heat, rather than if it would be fashionable. Does anyone ever wear long sleeves there in the summertime?
Oooooooooops, I misunderstood your question.

During the two "UGH" months of Summer (July and August) when the humidity runs on the high side (probably low by comparison), long sleeves may be a little uncomfortable but definitely no worse than Wisconsin.

As others have posted, many outdoor workers wear longs sleeves.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:38 PM
M74

46 posts, read 114,994 times
Hahaha! First "two" months of summer? Funny stuff there. Anyway, a good site I've gone to to by SPF clothing is SPF.COM. (Hopefully a MOD won't cut this as I'm not sure if it's allowed to post a site?) I used to work for a pool service company and I also, now, exercise outside. I have found these light fabric, long sleeve shirts to do wonders. I'm of Scandinavian descent and burn in the shade. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2011, 12:12 AM

351 posts, read 975,146 times
Quote:
I would avoid long sleeves or even any sleeves at all during the summer, but starting from October to early April it would be very doable. Of course you could do it in the summer, but I would find it very uncomfortable. If you don't perspire a lot, you could probably get away with it. Just beware of heat stroke if you don't sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson