Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 04:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,016,129 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving things up a bit and have a few questions on rentals in Tucson (mind you, I know nothing of Tucson).

I have two small dogs (10 and 11 lbs) and a cat. What I'd like would be a small detached dwelling in a quiet and safe neighborhood with a fenced in yard. I would also prefer zero carpet in the rental due to my pets. I would want either month to month or something like a 90 day rental to make sure I would want to buy there. Don't want to make another mistake and especially knowing nothing about the town.

Is what I am looking for there and how much would rent be for something like I've asked? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 PM

444 posts, read 1,354,264 times
You'll have a problem finding anything reasonable on a month-to-month basis. Almost everyone wants an initial lease of 6 months at least, particularly with detached homes. There are also landlords that limit dogs to 10 lbs and limit breeds (no pits, chows, etc.). However, this is more the exception than the rule, so you shouldn't have too much of an issue. It's mainly the no lease thing that will limit your choices.

But, directly in response to your question, you should expect around $1200 for your preferences. You should expect a sizable deposit with your pets. Almost all yards in Tucson are fenced, so that won't be a concern. Be aware that you likely shouldn't let your cat outside in the city though because coyotes are around, even in the urban areas, and are well known to kill cats.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:08 PM

40 posts, read 120,650 times
I think you could easily find a small, private house (or duplex) with a small yard in midtown Tucson for $1,000 or less. Craigslist can be a good source but you'll see a lot of apartment complexes advertised there, as well as managed properties. Property management companies tend to charge more to cover their fee.

Also, some landlords prefer a month-to-month lease just in case a tenant turns out to be Attila the Hun. It's easier to evict them when it's a short-term lease, or so I've heard.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,269 times
Misty,
I am not sure how many bdrms you are wanting, but I think your requests are not unreasonable. I am also looking in the Tucson area with three dogs. I contacted a prop. mngmt, co. and was advised there would be a $150 non-refun dep. for each pet.

I was a real estate agent and I use the mls. Check out TARMLS. Click on "Search Properties." Put in your bdrms, locations, and other specs and search from there. It may give you a big number like, 2,858 homes. Type in 2,858 in the box on the left above the listings. Then scroll up and you will see the lowest rent first and it moves up. The homes are listed as "Rental." You see what the agents see. It also shows the min lease. HTH! GL!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,016,129 times
Thanks so much for all your replies and I will check out that site. Thanks for the tip.

As fate would have it, everything is going out in this current house now, so I don't know that I can or should move. Things like plumbing, new stovetop with odd dimensions (No burners working and cannot be repaired), irrigation system not working properly, alarm system needs to be fixed - you get my drift. If I am going to sink thousands into this house, I'd at least like to be able to enjoy it for a while. I don't have the extra thousands sitting around.

Plus, I have to have two root canals done in the course of five days, so there goes another $4K. I had one done yesterday and will have one done on Tuesday.

So maybe now isn't the best time to even consider a move, but I do appreciate all your input and thank you.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,174,307 times
Since the original poster appears to be putting plans for a move on hold, this thread is now closed. Thanks to all who contributed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: