Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:34 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,577,808 times

Advertisements

Average Weather for Tucson, AZ - Temperature and Precipitation

This link may help you. In hot, sunny weather, I'd suggest carrying a lightweight white or pastel gauzy shirt (if you're female) that you can slip on over a t-shirt should you need to cover your arms. One that can be folded to fit in a purse. If you're a guy, I'd suggest a lightweight, colored long sleeved jacket that you can easily carry and still put on if needed.

Otherwise, you can think about finding a place in Summerhaven on Mt. Lemmon. It' almost identical to where I live in Colorado. Days about 75-80 (in summer), nights so cool (40's to 50's) to make sleeping with open windows a delight. On the other hand, it does have four seasons, one of which is a snowy winter. But, something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 AM

911 posts, read 2,157,073 times
Thanks for all the info! Very helpful!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:55 PM

44 posts, read 90,045 times
Something to ponder...human body temp = 98.6. Weather outside in Tucson mid-summer is well into the 100's. Hotter outside than your own body. I ride a motorcycle and have read that long sleeves and long pants (light weight of course) can actually keep you COOLER in the summer as it keeps the heat OUT. I know, it's backwards thinking, but as mentioned early, you see many work crews wearing light colored long sleeved shirts, year-round. It keeps the sun off and heat out. having tried this theory on my bike, I know it works. You won't have a problem and people won't think you're weird at all!

PS Get a good hat that breathes, too. Many excellent hat shops around Tucson.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:36 PM

461 posts, read 1,314,819 times
You will be fine with very light weight, loose, cotton tops...think tunics. Heck, look at the people in the middle east. They live in that stuff I read somewhere that it actually keeps you cooler.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:31 AM

101 posts, read 247,905 times
I have lived here in the Tucson area for 6 years now and every summer it amazes me how many people I actually see wearing long sleeve shirts, cardigans and track jackets and yes with shorts or even yoga type pants.

So I would say you will be just fine with long sleeves here anytime of the year. If it's uncomfortable at first, stay with it your body will be build up a tolerance.

Good Luck to you.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:23 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,577,808 times
You definitely get acclimated to the heat. My first summer here, I thought I'd die from the heat, and I hated that I couldn't sleep with my windows open at night. But, yesterday and today, it was in the 70's and I was freezing!! Whenver I go back to CO, no matter what time of year, I freeze. The heat definitely becomes tolerable; not always fun, but tolerable, so long sleeves will seem normal very quickly.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:19 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,206,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varula View Post
Something to ponder...human body temp = 98.6. Weather outside in Tucson mid-summer is well into the 100's. Hotter outside than your own body. I ride a motorcycle and have read that long sleeves and long pants (light weight of course) can actually keep you COOLER in the summer as it keeps the heat OUT. I know, it's backwards thinking, but as mentioned early, you see many work crews wearing light colored long sleeved shirts, year-round. It keeps the sun off and heat out. having tried this theory on my bike, I know it works. You won't have a problem and people won't think you're weird at all!

PS Get a good hat that breathes, too. Many excellent hat shops around Tucson.
I agree 100 percent. Most people in the desert that work outside for a living (landscapers, ranchers, construction workers, etc) where breathable long sleeve shirts because, as you sweat, it keeps your chest and back cooler. Seriously, long sleeve shirts work like an evaporative cooler. Long sleeves take a while to get used to, but after a while you wonder how you ever got along in the summer without them.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
as long as you use lightweight, light colored, breathable fabrics, and go up one or two sizes so the fit is really loose, then long sleeves should be no problem in tucson in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson