Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,665,160 times

Advertisements

That is something I would really like to know!
I lean towards the Mob, what are your gut feelings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 01:44 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,835,901 times
I don't think we will ever know the truth - hmm, I wonder if we could obtain information under the FOIA [Freedom of Information Act]....although I certainly do not think it was solely Oswald and I think it was set for Ruby to be killed after shooting Oswald....

Old 06-03-2012, 02:11 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,845,745 times
During the 1990's I read dozens of books on the subject and lapped everything up enthusiastically.

I believe it was Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:40 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,835,901 times
Really, even with all of the other theories? I go back and forth....then of course, there was the movie with Kevin Costner - which added a whole different perspective, at least I think it was Kevin Costner,yes?

And, after reading The Dark Side of Camelot [about JFK] by Seymour Hersh, [if one has not read it, recommend it], brought about a whole different perspective re: who might have .... [very interesting book], includes lots of things that went on in the White House, incidents w/Dr. 'Feelgood' [Dr. Max Jacobson] - certainly sports a peppered effect on the Camelot years, for sure....

Old 06-03-2012, 10:08 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,845,745 times
Kevin Costner played Jim Garrison, who was a total fruitcake.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:20 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,055,928 times
Quote:
So who killed Kennedy?
Which one?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:25 AM

78,923 posts, read 61,095,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
That is something I would really like to know!
I lean towards the Mob, what are your gut feelings?
Yeah, but the mob had an established history of generally not going after govt. officials, especially not to that level of office. The mob is in the business of making money, not getting their entire operation wiped out.

I find the mob to be by far the least likely.

I think he acted alone. There is a lot of historical precedent for lone gunmen with fervent political bents \ mental issues trying to gun down public figures.

Ditto for a revenge killing given how popular Kennedy was.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:26 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,978,115 times
Didn't Mick Jagger say it was "you and me"?

Seriously, in regards to JFK, there are many very lengthy threads discussing the matter. I just saw one thread resurface just last week. The problem is there are so many theories, some of which ironically conflict with each other..all of which have been debunked in some way or another. It's become an industry, with books written on these alternative theories complete with suspect "proof", and with innaccurate or plain wrong information repeated again and again, often in internet forums. I spent some time debunking some of these theories and urban legends and kind of exhausted myself of the topic...it's like a rerun. But they are there if you want to revisit.

But, these attempts to explain tragic acts with conspiracy theories are an interesting trait in human nature - I think it's an attempt to put greater meaning and purpose on a tragedy that impacted so many people, a phychological need. The fact that a popular president was killed by some nut with a surplus WW2 rifle is just unacceptable to some people, it's just too meaningless. So the event must be defined by something greater, something worthy of the person and event. Thus you have the mindset of the conspiracy theory.

From my viewpoint, all proof has lead to one conclusion - Kennedy was killed by Oswald alone.

Last edited by Dd714; 06-04-2012 at 07:35 AM..

Old 06-04-2012, 07:48 AM

737 posts, read 1,152,870 times
Mark Furman's book is about the best on this subject, in my opinion.

Oswald acted alone. Ruby acted on impulse since Oswald was supposed to be gone by the time Ruby got there.

I have been hearing these theories since it happened. Most make no sense. The worst one is Roselli jumping out a manhole and shooting JFK.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:22 AM

14,477 posts, read 14,439,149 times
Despite all the years of conspiracy theories, I believe Oswald acted alone. Here's why:

1. The pattern of those either assassinating or attempting to assassinate the President has been a pattern of a single, solitary, individual acting alone. The individual usually has low socio-economic status. He has a very checkered work history. He has little education. He has little prospect for advancement in life. Often he is mentally ill. Generally, they are hateful towards just about everyone and blame them for a lack of success. Oswald fit most of these categories. Here are some other examples:

James Garfield....shot by an unemployed, mentally ill man who believed despite his lack of any qualifications that he should be chosen to be American Ambassador to France. He decided to kill Garfield when he was not.

James McKinley...shot by a low socio-economic status immigrant from Eastern Europe who was an anarchist who hated capitalism and saw the President as the epitome of capitalists.

Teddy Roosevelt...shot and wounded by a mentally deranged bartender while he was running for President in 1912.

Franklin D. Roosevelt...an attempt was made on his life in 1933, by an unemployed bricklayer who managed to kill a man standing next to FDR.

Ronald Reagan....an attempt was made on his life by a psychotic young man whose whole life involved delusions about the actress Jodie Foster.

2. Oswald was designated both a sharpshooter and marksman by the US Marine Corps based on his shooting scores. He had the potential to do the shooting that killed President Kennedy even though it was a moving target.

3. The Dallas, Texas newspapers all contained a map of the route of the motorcade that JFK would be in and it was published several day before the assassination. Before this route was published no one would have known how to "get into position" to shoot the President. I believe what happened is that Oswald was working at the School Book Depository and saw this as "his chance" to kill the President. It was a spur of the moment sort of thing.

4. Oswald had tried to kill another important person. He attempted to shoot General Edwin Walker. His bullet went through the window of Walker's home and did slightly wound him in the arm. Marina Oswald testified to this and Oswald's gun matched the characteristics of the weapon that wounded Walker.

5. Take a look at the pictures of Jack Ruby shooting Oswald. Look carefully. He deliberately is shooting Oswald in the abdomen. Would you shoot someone in the belly if you were trying to kill them? If Ruby was trying to "eliminate" Oswald wouldn't he have shot him in the head or the chest?

6. Ruby was known as a great admirer of JFK before the shooting occurred. This furnishes a motive for him killing Oswald.

7. Its beyond question that Oswald shot Dallas Police Officer J.D. Tippetts. This was observed by eyewitnesses and he was captured after he did it and ran into a movie theater. Why would Oswald have shot Tippetts if he was not involved in Kennedy's assassination?

8. After almost 50 years, nothing other than speculation really exists that would tie any other person to this assassination. In 50 years, if someone else was involved, some sort of strong evidence would have emerged.

Nothing any of us say is ever going to put this case to rest. However, the most likely thing that occurred is Oswald picked up a newspaper and found out that JFK's motorcade would be passing his place of employment. Being handy with a gun and trained as a sniper--and being an angry man--he instantly saw an opportunity to kill the President and took it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime