Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 07:12 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,670,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgain View Post
Geeezzzus! 12 random people. Jury selection is a very long and exhaustive process. Attorneys from BOTH SIDES pick the jury. I can't remember how large the jury pool was for this case, but conceivably they could have picked 12 people from a jury pool of hundreds people!

I think maybe some people have been watching too much TV or too many crime movies! I have far more than half a brain, I followed this trial, and I do NOT KNOW that Casey Anthony murdered her child. There are a number of reasonable possibilities of what could have happened, and accidental drowning is certainly a possibility.
Okay, lets say it was an accident.
Is it just fine to take the little girl and throw her in a garbage dump?
Or do you also believe that the grandfather who was at work at the time did it?
Or do you just believe the time frame was wrong and Caylee didn't die on the 16th, so you can then believe that the grandfather did it?
How about if we just put it all on Cindy?
Somebody that lived in that house put a baby in bags and threw her in the woods but it couldn't have been Casey because she is such an honorable person.
No, it couldn't have been Casey because she would never lie about anything.
Gee, I wonder who did such a horrible thing?
Maybe you could enlighten us, we don't have a clue.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,100,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Most everyone is totally SHOCKED and deeply DISAPPOINTED in the verdict.
I am not the least bit surprised and actually pleased by the verdict. Not because I think Casey is totally innocent and deserves to go free, but because the state did not proove its case. This is what "innocent until proven guilty" means. It's tragic that we'll never know what happened, but you can't convict somebody based on the way you feel about it - remove the emotion and look objectively at the trial and it's easy to see why the 12 people whose opinions actually matter said "not guilty".

I'm sick of people saying this case is all about Caylee, the victim. It's a trial and it is very much about the person being accused of murder. Everyone sees that poor little girl's face and wants vengence, thirsty for blood, naturally. But thank God that in this country you have to be proven guilty of a crime before your life is taken away from you - figuratively or literally. Fortunately, all you people can do is post angry comments on C-D as opposed to taking to the streets to carry out lynch-mob justice.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:19 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,670,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Hasn't everyone sat in on trial or most of us. This jury were gutless and didn't have the mind to convict a murderer. Let's just say they didn't have a backbone to decide on the truth because the death penalty was involved. they wanted to go home and enjoy their life and the heck with justice!
They were to worried about when they were going to get their next cigarette.
I hope they have nightmares of this little girl's face for a long, long time.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,298,152 times
Is there a way the judge can rule that a jury can't profit from a verdict?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:24 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,448,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I am not the least bit surprised and actually pleased by the verdict. Not because I think Casey is totally innocent and deserves to go free, but because the state did not proove its case. This is what "innocent until proven guilty" means. It's tragic that we'll never know what happened, but you can't convict somebody based on the way you feel about it - remove the emotion and look objectively at the trial and it's easy to see why the 12 people whose opinions actually matter said "not guilty".

I'm sick of people saying this case is all about Caylee, the victim. It's a trial and it is very much about the person being accused of murder. Everyone sees that poor little girl's face and wants vengence, thirsty for blood, naturally. But thank God that in this country you have to be proven guilty of a crime before your life is taken away from you - figuratively or literally. Fortunately, all you people can do is post angry comments on C-D as opposed to taking to the streets to carry out lynch-mob justice.
Word for word, couldn't agree more.

It's nice to wave the sparklers and flags on Independence Day and crow about how great our country is. But when we get right down to it, many Americans do not really respect (or understand) our justice system.

The lynch mob mentality I'm observing from Facebook to City Data to any number of news outlets comments sections are disturbing.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
They were to worried about when they were going to get their next cigarette.
I hope they have nightmares of this little girl's face for a long, long time.
Oh, were you on the jury?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:26 AM

30,589 posts, read 24,004,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
FL does many things backwards. Instead of moving the trial out of Orange County they went and got jurors from Pinellas County, it took them several weeks to find people willing and or able to be sequestered for several weeks in a strange city.

Most states move high profile trials out of the county where the crime took place, not bring jurors in from another county.

I saw what they went through on the news, they interviewed hundreds of perspective jurors before they could come up with the ones that would go to Orlando.

They didn't get the cream of the crop. I saw the alternate juror, he was not what you would call well spoken.

Even the news commentator was taken aback.

They didn't even ask any questions.

One of them was very concerned with being able to make a cruise they had booked.

I really think they just wanted it over.

These are not bright people.

If there was ever a case for getting rid of jury trials this would be it.
That is your opinion, it does not mean that the people on the jury are stupid nor does it mean that all people in FL are stupid. Can we move on now, I'm really bored with this.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Is there a way the judge can rule that a jury can't profit from a verdict?
No.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt30 View Post
I know. I don't know how to sub-quote so I used your post as a last frame of reference. Apologies for the confusion!
Matt, if you want to quote more than one person's response, you can click the " icon at the bottom right to multi quote, you click on the one for each poster and then you click, "Respond to thread".

Old 07-06-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
In this case I think the jury acted as Hal would have--they brought in a verdict based on actual evidence, not theory or conjecture! Just because the media and the public had her found guilty (and would have burned her in the town square if such things were still done), doesnt mean that the jury had to follow based on emotion.
Without a body, there was no real way to find out how the child died, and find the necessary evidence to convict and sentence.
That, right there. Exactly. Reps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime