Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 02:30 AM

288 posts, read 168,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt30 View Post
Negligent homicide can be a cause of action in a civil case, just like any other negligent act.
So negiligent homicide would go to civil lawsuits rather than criminal cases. Standard of proof is lower in a civil case as well.

Again, I think your summary of the evidence was really good. Very concise yet covered all the important points. Thanks for that post!

Last edited by Morgain; 07-06-2011 at 02:39 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 AM

59 posts, read 41,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgain View Post
I didn't say that negligent homicide was a crime in Florida. I was asking someone esle that question because they indicated that Casey should have been found guilty of negligent homicide.

As for the "case brief" comments, it was suggested by another poster that this would be a good way to proceed with a jury trial, and you were reading my response to that post.

I've actually had occasion to take witness statements and affidavits in criminal cases.
I know. I don't know how to sub-quote so I used your post as a last frame of reference. Apologies for the confusion!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:47 AM

288 posts, read 168,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt30 View Post
I know. I don't know how to sub-quote so I used your post as a last frame of reference. Apologies for the confusion!
No problem. I don't know how to sub-quote either.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:12 AM

59 posts, read 41,522 times
Quote:
So negiligent homicide would go to civil lawsuits rather than criminal cases. Standard of proof is lower in a civil case as well.

Again, I think your summary of the evidence was really good. Very concise yet covered all the important points. Thanks for that post!
Thanks!

Yes but in Florida a wrongful death suit would need to be brought by the heirs of the estate (Casey Anthony) or Caylee's dependents. Or an independent party that acts in the interest of those two.

The grandparents don't have standing.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,475,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Yes, just like in the OJ trial. The system worked for you, not for me!
What does that even mean? "For you, but not for me"? It worked the way it is supposed to work. PERIOD.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
That is so rude I can't even believe someone would say it. Those people put aside their lives for 6 or so weeks, doing their duty, as we all should, so that we may continue to have this justice system that DOES work whether you like the outcome or not. To insult the jurors just because they rendered a verdict different than what you think it should have been is shameful.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The problem is with this jury. They did NOT LOOK AT THE CIRCUMSTANCIAL EVIDENCE!!

The system failed!! The pundits did not change , add or take away the facts of the circumstancial evidence!
They certainly did in the court of public opinion my friend.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:09 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,548,961 times
The saddest interview last night was with police officers, who stated they supported the jury's decision, but were sad that all the work they did to find Caylee, and investigate Casey, was not adaquate enough to secure a conviction. One said he felt like he personally failed at his job.

What can be said to these officers? They worked their tails off doing their job.

They did not fail anyone.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 AM

531 posts, read 2,908,204 times
Quote:
Geeezzzus! 12 random people. Jury selection is a very long and exhaustive process. Attorneys from BOTH SIDES pick the jury. I can't remember how large the jury pool was for this case, but conceivably they could have picked 12 people from a jury pool of hundreds people!

I think maybe some people have been watching too much TV or too many crime movies! I have far more than half a brain, I followed this trial, and I do NOT KNOW that Casey Anthony murdered her child. There are a number of reasonable possibilities of what could have happened, and accidental drowning is certainly a possibility.
They are very much 12 random people. A pool of "hundreds" of people is exactly that--random. Yes, attorneys from both sides pick the jury, I understand that. But the defense has an edge in that situation, as they do in all facets of a trial.

A number of reasonable possibilities? The one the defense presented was denied by the child's grandfather! And that is the ONLY possibility that was presented by the defense.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:16 AM

531 posts, read 2,908,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
That is so rude I can't even believe someone would say it. Those people put aside their lives for 6 or so weeks, doing their duty, as we all should, so that we may continue to have this justice system that DOES work whether you like the outcome or not. To insult the jurors just because they rendered a verdict different than what you think it should have been is shameful.
They let a murderer go free. They are morons. I'm looking forward to the interview with the first clown who chooses to stand in front of a camera. See my earlier post in this thread about the comments of one of the OJ jurors from the first trial. Also, morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime