Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 02:55 PM

26,713 posts, read 41,919,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Well, they did just pull off arguably the biggest legal upset in modern history. Hard to blame them for wanting to celebrate.
I heard that that court has a 95% conviction rate for serious crimes like this. , if I beat those odds me and my crew would be popping the bubbly baseball locker room style.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:02 PM

824 posts, read 2,343,579 times
Congratulations Baez and Mason. I know that you were really excited, but why is your client spending the next 48 hours in county jail when she has been convicted of only 4 misdemeanors after having served about three years pre-trial? I do not see how the judge could have ruled against you (if you made the motion). Either way, after facing the death penalty, she can handle 48 hours standing on her head. But still, make the motion next time.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:04 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,465,080 times
This whole case is sad, terribly sad. This child was murdered. Period. And really, I too think Casey did it.

That said, I do believe that the jury saw this as a case where it was not proven BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT that she did it. Many of us here feel strongly that she DID do it. However, if you understand the jury instructions, if there was a doubt, they had to vote "not guilty". Will this mother have a carefree, fun life? No. She will be hated, shunned, insulted, boycotted, etc for the rest of her life.

The part that really ticks me off was how her representatives went after the media, laughed it up in the courtroom, etc. Poor Caylee, she was murdered and nobody in that Defense team seemed to remember that. RIP Caylee.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,488,526 times
I won't be surprised if the briefs for the thefts are already written up, and being served. Casey still has not been charged with those. So..her time is not over yet with the criminal justice system.

And don't forget, they finally got Al Capone on Tax Evasion...something Casey is having a problem with currently.

812.0145(2)(c)Theft from person 65 years of age or older; $300 or more but less than $10,000

Level 3 felony in the state of Florida...The money she stole from her Grandfather. The state charges that crime.
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/sg_ann...ppendices.html

Last edited by jasper12; 07-05-2011 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-05-2011, 03:06 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,883,484 times
IMO, I think they wanted to give the public a 48 hour cooling off period...she's better off staying in jail for a few more days. Course the media will hound her 24/7 and I hope they make her life miserable.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,737,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Listen, I am amazed at the verdict as well. I did think they would find her guilty of at least endangerment or abuse. I was never convinced, beyond a reasonable doubt, that she murdered her child.

Nonetheless, the point of this post is that whether we agree with the verdict or not, some of these comments are unbelievable. Commenting on an evil aura around her? Asking how anyone would want to "be" with her? C'mon, guys, that's ridiculous.

The fact of the matter is, she was found not guilty. That's how the justice system works. I would not lose faith in the justice system simply because I didn't agree with the verdict, the justice system is working EXACTLY as it should. The prosecutor presents their side, the defense presents their side, 12 people decide who is right. THAT is the justice system in this country no matter if you like the verdict.

I would be more afraid of a system that was biased based on anything the media said, what people thought of her looks, what people thought of her actions while in court...ya know, some people laugh when they get nervous, some people laugh at sad news...all we know is what we see on t.v. We act like we know this person, we do NOT know this person.

The jury decided, that's the end of it. There will be no other trial. She was found not guilty, and discussing why we thought that was wrong or right, how we would have voted were we on the jury, fine but low blows like talking about her looks and wondering about her sex life, talking about book deals and how everyone in FL is stupid...(I just moved from FL, not they are not all stupid), is gross.

If the shoe fits. FL for many, many, reasons has a bad reputation.

They were fist fighting on more than one occasion(and they were locals) to get seats for the trial.

Some of them were acting like they were on line for a Bon Jovi concert.

The jury asked no questions, none.

One of them wanted to get done with it as they had plans to go on vacation out of the country.

And you have PLENTY of posts on here complaining about FL and the people...that is why you left the state.

And I wouldn't say "that is the end of it", FL is loaded with whack jobs, I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't attacked or worse.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:09 PM

7,965 posts, read 11,760,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
People keep saying this but can anybody recall even one incident of this happening in recent American history? Americans aren't very vengeful. I think we simply have too much to lose or our radicalism and passion for things that don't directly have to do with us has been diluted over the past half century (hence the lack of political activism and protest when compared to other countries). Casey could return back to her parents home if so choose and I bet nothing would still EVER happen to her.
I will be shocked beyond belief if George and Cindy allowed her to live with them. If I was Casey, I'd get as far away from them as I could. They couldn't help but despise her, even though they didn't want her to get the death penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgain View Post
Actually, in fact, it was a huge win for the defense legal team. That was a long, long trial. This case took MANY MONTHS of preparation for trial, and about six long weeks of trial. That is enormously stressful. Added to that, this legal team has had to also deal with the heaps of negative media coverage they were getting on a daily basis. Not guilty was a huge, huge win for them. They didn't invite the public or media into their office for their well-deserved celebration that their client was not wrongfully convicted open to a death sentence.

And now people are speculating about what bad things might happen to Casey Anthony and her family at the hands of some nuts in the public! If anything like that happens, HLN will deserve the major portion of blame.
I feel terrible for George and Cindy. They have been victimized since the beginning of this whole ordeal. Things can only get worse for them. As for Casey, I have no pity for her at all. After what she put her family through, and likely did to her daughter, I can feel nothing but contempt for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
It appears Cindy and George are the only ones who will pay for the death of this child. It appears to me they had a role in how this ended up. I still feel pity for them. Their lives are devastated.
Yes, these parents will carry their grandaughter's death to the grave. Did you see their faces when the verdict was announced? There was no joy...none, on their faces, no relief...more shock than anything. They didn't want their daughter to die...after all she is their child, they've already lost their precious grandchild, but you can be sure they wanted her to pay for her crimes. If there is any truth to it, this woman has "terrorized" her parents for years...and now has gotten away with likely overdosing and killing her child.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:11 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,958,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
This whole case is sad, terribly sad. This child was murdered. Period. And really, I too think Casey did it.

That said, I do believe that the jury saw this as a case where it was not proven BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT that she did it. Many of us here feel strongly that she DID do it. However, if you understand the jury instructions, if there was a doubt, they had to vote "not guilty". Will this mother have a carefree, fun life? No. She will be hated, shunned, insulted, boycotted, etc for the rest of her life.

The part that really ticks me off was how her representatives went after the media, laughed it up in the courtroom, etc. Poor Caylee, she was murdered and nobody in that Defense team seemed to remember that. RIP Caylee.
it is beyond sad.

the juries are getting so stupid that frankly the crime is going to have to be videotaped and shown on a screen before the jury can be convinced beyond a reasonable doubt in the future. it isn't hard to "outsmart" somehow who isn't as bright as you are, and that is the problem with court cases today.

i was surprised at the OJ verdict and i am surprised yet again. they certainly are finding these jurors in the shallow end of the gene pool.

i think these are just more examples of justice denied in an increasingly unjust society.

don't be so sure that she will be shunned. she will probably write a book, make some money, bang some guys, get on the celebrity talk circuit ( i am sure that there is nothing that she would like more than that) and become another quasi celebrity with nothing to offer our society- not even a wake-up call.

maybe grandma and grandpa can take time from their busy cruise schedule to look for the "real killer".

may that little child rest in peace.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:15 PM

7,965 posts, read 11,760,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it is beyond sad.

the juries are getting so stupid that frankly the crime is going to have to be videotaped and shown on a screen before the jury can be convinced beyond a reasonable doubt in the future. it isn't hard to "outsmart" somehow who isn't as bright as you are, and that is the problem with court cases today.

i was surprised at the OJ verdict and i am surprised yet again. they certainly are finding these jurors in the shallow end of the gene pool.

i think these are just more examples of justice denied in an increasingly unjust society.

don't be so sure that she will be shunned. she will probably write a book, make some money, bang some guys, get on the celebrity talk circuit ( i am sure that there is nothing that she would like more than that) and become another quasi celebrity with nothing to offer our society- not even a wake-up call.

may that little child rest in peace.

You can be they're not done with her yet. There are MANY ways they can continue to go after her...other charges they can file. With new information gleaned from testimonies, there may be more leads to follow up. Also, if there are people who DO have information, seeing her get off may inspire them to step forward. In that case, you can bet they'll find something to get her with.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:16 PM

14,994 posts, read 24,000,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Simple fact: The evidence, beyond a reasonable doubt, was not there. The jury did as instructed by a court of law.
The evidence was there, at least for manslaughter. But it's the type of evidence - circumstantial, not direct. For that a jury has to connect the dots, infer, and use deduction. The law, and the bounds of "reasonable doubt", allow to convict on this. Now, a jury has to think it out and arrive at a conclusion. It requires not only a jury, but a jury of individuals with adaptable and developed intellectual abilities and logical deductive abilities.

No one knows what the jury was thinking, that will all come out. But, once again, I blame the pool of juries that one must get for a sequestered jury case. Basically not the most intelligent or insighful members of society. Half were not employed and/or were considered elderly (over 50), most of the others were part time or non-professionals or government employees (that last classification speaks for itself).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime