Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:26 PM

454 posts, read 596,835 times

Advertisements

I thinks she is guilty, but if somehow she walks out free, her life is basically over, she won't be able to get a job and everywhere she goes she will be known as a child killer, I think jail is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 08:48 PM

235 posts, read 837,726 times
If the jury convicts her with First Degree murder, I can't even imagine how the penalty phase arguments would go. I've never seen how a defense attorney would plead for their client in the face of the death penalty. I can't picture what sorts of arguments Baez might try with the jury either. He ain't got much to work with, if he's put in that position.

Would it be Baez addressing the jury during the penalty phase? Or Mason?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:02 PM

27,217 posts, read 46,787,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
If the jury convicts her with First Degree murder, I can't even imagine how the penalty phase arguments would go. I've never seen how a defense attorney would plead for their client in the face of the death penalty. I can't picture what sorts of arguments Baez might try with the jury either. He ain't got much to work with, if he's put in that position.

I don't think George will be very motivated to stand up for a person who is accusing him of the death...but perhaps he only blames Baez. For it and will do it...

Old 07-03-2011, 09:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
Hmm, that is interesting. Who would plead for her life?

Really, this case is horrible. Dead little girl, family ripped apart, death penalty--reseved only for the most horrible criminals.

There for the grace of God...all this woman had to do was leave her child. She must have felt so trapped and helpless in her life. The only way out for her was to kill her child, from her twisted perspective. Tragic.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:00 PM

288 posts, read 168,257 times
Quote:

The sentencing phase is not simply pleading for someone's life. There are statutory aggravators and mitigators which have to be presented. The state will present the aggravators and the defense will put on mitigators; it's basically another trial. The jury weighs the difference between aggravators and mitigators in order to determine what recommendation they will make.

The mental health issues would be put on as mitigators; that's where you'll have the mental health experts testify regarding the effects of abuse, sexual abuse, and otherwise; the effects of the dysfunctional family on Casey Anthony, her childhood experiences. They will investigate any illnesses she had as a child, any injuries, especially to her head, also investigate in terms of what her teachers thought of her, her friends, etc., basically they will do a very thorough social history investigation. Those are the types of things which go to statutory mitigators.

One statutory mitigator she already has is no extensive criminal history. If you're thinking about the bad checks, that was one time and it occurred close in time to when Caylee disappeared. This is not a girl who has been in and out of juvenile court, or adult court, over the years. No reports of child abuse or negelect.

There is a list of aggravators and mitigators in the Florida Statutes.

There is a problem here with the sentencing phase in Florida. The jury recommends to the judge what sentence to impose, but the judge makes the final decision. The reason the fed judge just recently ruled that that method is unconstitutional is because it ultimately makes the judge the finder of fact regarding mitigators and aggravators. Juries are the finders of fact in our system. Under the Constitution you have a right to a trial by a jury or a judge. If you pick a jury, then the jury must be the finders of fact. It will be interesting to see how this turns out if she is convicted of a charge which carries the death penalty.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:48 AM

I believe Casey would have had more problems with the law, but her Mother has been so protective, that she has taken care of all the problems, before they became legal issues.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I believe Casey would have had more problems with the law, but her Mother has been so protective, that she has taken care of all the problems, before they became legal issues.
http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/Cas...CaseID=1450829

This one is waiting for when she is done with this trial

http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/Cas...CaseID=3253016

http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/Cas...CaseID=3427334

http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/Cas...CaseID=6216002

http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/Cas...CaseID=6216003

http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/Cas...CaseID=6236234

If she gets off it is just waiting for the next charge and Cindy was waiting to charge her for taking $ 325 of the grand fathers nursery home bank account...doesn't that shows the girl has no heart.

This will not be the last we hear of her even if she is in prison for life she will try to get in the news again.

Btw the above is public records of Orange County.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:28 AM

I think she reached a crisis point in her lying, where things were going to start crashing in on her, not unlike Mark Hacking (Utah Killer).

The lies start to fall apart, and the liar takes out the stress on the most vulnerable victim around, to have a release.

There are many parallels between Casey Anthony and Mark Hacking. Mark was never in trouble with the law, his parents took care of any problems he caused.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:09 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,242,361 times
Quote:

I would assume Baez would carry it all the way through since he is the leading attorney. But this case has been so wacky....who knows?

Old 07-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think she reached a crisis point in her lying, where things were going to start crashing in on her, not unlike Mark Hacking (Utah Killer).

The lies start to fall apart, and the liar takes out the stress on the most vulnerable victim around, to have a release.

There are many parallels between Casey Anthony and Mark Hacking. Mark was never in trouble with the law, his parents took care of any problems he caused.
I forgot about that case...you are right, he lied even about his diploma, etc...in the end all criminals are liars....hardly anybody will come into the court room and will say " I killed...."

I have not seen anybody who could have committed this crime other than Casey...all the rest have alibi's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime