Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 05:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Not counting events (sports, concerts, etc.) or entry queues, What is the most over-crowded place you have ever battled tourists?

For me, I'd say the Smithsonian. I thought I'd spend a couple hours there, since I was nearby. It was school bus loads of kids packing the main concourse, I couldn't even turn around.

Luckily, I'm old enough that I saw things before the crowds. Mona Lisa alll by myself in an empty room.
The Met (Metropolitan) Museum of Art in NYC when they had an Egyptian (I forget which pharaoh) exhibit in for a time. It's been probably almost 10 years ago or so. It was teeming with people. You couldn't even get close to look at anything because there were already large groups in front of it staring and talking. Then when they eventually moved on, another large group of people took their place.

Forget standing in front of any work or art/artifact to observe it. At least 5 people would walk right in front of you, stand, and stare at the artwork as if you weren't already standing there. Then there are the whining and/or crying little ones who are fussy, tired, irritable, and sleepy (nap time). All this makes for terrible overly crowded tourist experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 05:58 PM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
The Las Vegas Strip during New Year’s Eve holidays. Ocean Park (amusement park) in Hong Kong.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:13 PM

6,755 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
The Vatican Museums. I don’t remember the artwork. I do remember literal wall-to-wall people […]
That’s my choice as well. It’s like being a salmon in a river full of fish. Well, except for the whole egg fertilization thing.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:11 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
It's a tie between Disney World and the Taj Mahal.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:46 AM

152 posts, read 61,429 times
Sistine Chapel is the first one to pop up in my mind.

As for the Vatican Museums, the first time I went there I took a tour which turned out to be a mistake. Our guide bypassed some parts of the museum which I considered to be important, such as Raphael's masterpiece, the School of Athens. If I had not been keeping an eye out for that painting, I would have definitely missed it. For my second and third visits, I did my own research and acted as a tour guide for friends and family. We bought our tickets for the earliest timeslots. No crowds and we took our time taking pictures.

Last edited by Melpomene; 05-26-2021 at 02:16 AM..

Old 05-26-2021, 05:43 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times
In the US- Wisconsin state fair in Milwaukee on a weekend.

The crowd density would have beaten Times Square.

Old 05-26-2021, 05:02 PM

668 posts, read 471,060 times
Disney World in Florida.
Times Square.

Both places, if you weren't walking with the flow, you were getting trampled or carried along.

For anyone with claustrophobia, it would be absolutely terrifying.

I did feel bad for the earlier poster mentioning picking up lunch for her boss in NYC and trying to navigate back along the busy touristy sidewalks. Literally people just stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to look up.... and getting mowed down....

Old 05-27-2021, 09:19 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
... if you weren't walking with the flow, you were getting trampled or carried along. For anyone with claustrophobia, it would be absolutely terrifying.

I did feel bad for the earlier poster mentioning picking up lunch for her boss in NYC and trying to navigate back along the busy touristy sidewalks. Literally people just stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to look up.... and getting mowed down....
That was me & your description is perfect... go with the flow or get trampled... carried along would be a blessing, haha.

Problem is, it's not the tiny tourists who get mowed down... but we locals who have to stop short behind them while speed-walking (you know how fast we city folk walk) & then trying to quickly navigate left or right back into the throng again, with very vocal people sounding their dissatisfaction at our quirky maneuvers. The phrase, "I'm walkin' ova he-ah!" was invented just for these incidents.

I still recall the day a group of retired mid-westerners stopped short in the middle of the sidewalk to ask where the Paul Revere statue was in Boston... I almost ran them over & covered them with 6 giant cups of coffee. I screeched to a a halt from 40-0 in 1/2-second & the guy speed walking passed me yelled at them, "Hey... we're not Rand McNally! Move over!" Welcome to Boston, mid-westerners.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:08 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
I'll put in another vote for Yellowstone. I've been there several times. The number of people who go crazy over a simple deer astounds me. I'll add an adjacent vote for Grand Teton N.P., depending on which hiking trail you take.

I went to Disneyland in the early '90s, but I don't recall waiting more than 45 minutes for any particular ride.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,584 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I agree with the OP on the Smithsonian, but then the Statue of Liberty was ver close, and since I was in there on a really hot summer day, it seemed worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel