Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 02:52 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
The Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay in Paris 8 years ago. Both jammed to the gills. Some tourists just went up to each painting, took a picture of it with their tablet computer, took a picture of the informational plaque, then moved to the next one. Rinse and repeat.
It's a bit odd, isn't it? I've seen concerts online, where the audience is panned & everyone, everyone is watching through their phones, video-ing the concert. Don't ya wanna see it? Plenty of others will post it on YTube for later viewing, enjoy it while you're there.

Quote:
We love Impressionist paintings but in the d'Orsay the major works were in a room where you were routed around the perimeter, which is NOT how to view Impressionists- you get up close and then see the picture emerge form the brush strokes as you slowly back away. Not possible. Fortunately I'd read about an exhibit of Slovenian Impressionists at Le Petite Palais, a small gallery where we were practically the only ones there. Who knew there were Slovenian Impressionists? Much better experience.
Love impressionists. My faves.

And, thanks for this:
https://www.petitpalais.paris.fr/en

Gorgeous. Do you live in FR or visit often? I'd love to see the museums. Art & out of the way espresso bars are my fave things in any major city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 03:28 PM

743 posts, read 876,806 times
My husband, daughter and I at a Grand Canyon lookout waiting for the sunrise. We were the only Americans there-haha.

Old 05-23-2021, 04:09 PM

267 posts, read 158,411 times
Mount Rushmore!

Old 05-23-2021, 05:07 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post

And, thanks for this:
https://www.petitpalais.paris.fr/en

Gorgeous. Do you live in FR or visit often? I'd love to see the museums. Art & out of the way espresso bars are my fave things in any major city.
I've been there only 3 times- FaceBook is reminding me that I was there 8 years ago today. First trip in 1977, most recent on 2018 as a side trip from Edinburgh. I dropped some of DH's ashes into the Seine off the Quai aux Fleurs- don't tell anyone! I wouldn't mind going back someday- my French is decent (thanks, RFI documentary podcasts) and it's a wonderful place to wander and people-watch.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:48 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
Pretty much anything in DC outdid every other touristy spot I've ever been to as far as being overcrowded goes (Space Needle, Niagara, the Arch, Mt Rushmore, 4 Corners, etc).

I didn't realize it at the time (1974-1975) but we were lucky to live in DC as we toured a different museum every weekend, including some most visitors never hear about. Heaven.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:47 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
St Peter's in Rome

Old 05-23-2021, 07:41 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Lately it's been National Parks for us. Bryce was elbow to elbow unless you went off on a hike.

Last time we were in Yellowstone I think half of Asia was there!

And we stopped visiting Sturgis, population under 7,000, shortly after the Bike Week attendance hit half a million.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:11 PM

218 posts, read 156,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Lately it's been National Parks for us. Bryce was elbow to elbow unless you went off on a hike.

Last time we were in Yellowstone I think half of Asia was there!

And we stopped visiting Sturgis, population under 7,000, shortly after the Bike Week attendance hit half a million.

The very same for me the last time I was at Yellowstone. And the other half of Asia was at Zion!

Old 05-23-2021, 09:56 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
My husband, daughter and I at a Grand Canyon lookout waiting for the sunrise. We were the only Americans there-haha.
I was there in December a few years ago, before Christmas. Me and three bus loads of pushing and shoving Chinese tourists. There might have been a handful of other tourists but not many.There was no effort to control them and they all were armed with selfie sticks. They either could not read or ignored warnings and any safety barriers and ran up to the edge, turned their back to the abyss, and took selfies. There was ice and snow on the rocks and I figured they would lose someone that day. I finally got away from them and had the canyon to myself. But I wasn't entirely rid of them...we all stayed at Bright Angel Lodge and, unfortunately, the hot chocolate machine was broken and that was almost an international crisis. There was no way to make them happy without hot chocolate. If I had a hot chocolate machine I could have made a fortune.

Old 05-23-2021, 11:29 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
Mount Rushmore!
There are so many vantage points -- loooks the same from all of thrm. Last time I saw it, I just sat by myself and watched workers on scaffolds scrub off the black residue from the fireworks the night before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel