Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 05:57 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

Well, London has the solution for you.

Hair salon launches silent appointments to boost mental well-being
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9171171.html

You can now book the world's first silent haircut
https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/ar...silent-haircut

This London Hair Salon Offers ‘Silent’ Haircuts For People Who Hate Small Talk
https://secretldn.com/silent-haircut...another-salon/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 10:16 AM

1,159 posts, read 620,298 times
Interesting. I like talking but I'm naturally just a quiet person. I don't mind chatting....

Old 12-17-2019, 10:40 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Yes, yes, and yes. I go to the salon for relaxation and to get a great cut/color/style. I don't want to discuss politics, climate change, my stylist's problems or the weather. I just don't care. We're not friends and I don't have the freedom to share my true thoughts because, you know, scissors.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:44 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
I've been annoyed by overly arrogant ones.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:57 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Kinda, yeah. I think the stylists feel that it's part of their job to "entertain" the client while working on her. Or maybe some of the stylists feel awkward with silence, themselves.

OK, speaking of overly-chatty people in certain situations, I can't handle people who are compulsive chatterers while I'm driving, especially when in a dense urban area with a lot of 1-way streets I need to pay attention to, people pulling out of parking spaces, tourists making sudden turns without signaling, and various other hazards. I'm ok in areas with less activity and less cross-traffic, but when approaching the downtown core, I really need to pay attention. When I explain this to my chatty passenger, and request some quiet time while I focus on navigating, most actually refuse to comply! They're so compulsive about chattering, they have no regard for their own safety! I can't fathom that.

Thank you. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but compulsive chattering, or any unwelcome chatting, can definitely be an issue.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:59 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Yes, yes, and yes. I go to the salon for relaxation and to get a great cut/color/style. I don't want to discuss politics, climate change, my stylist's problems or the weather. I just don't care. We're not friends and I don't have the freedom to share my true thoughts because, you know, scissors.
ROFL! This is hilarious! Thanks for posting!

Old 12-17-2019, 07:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Nope, fine with chatting. Or not. Either way.

My stylist is one I've been going to for a decade. So we have an ease of conversation, if either of us feels like chatting.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
The only thing that bothers me is if the stylist starts pitching hair care products, the super expensive ones. They try to get me to buy $50 for hair condition and $50 for shampoo. I don't spend that kind of money on hair products and I don't care for high pressure sales pitches when I'm already spending a lot of money to get my hair done. It's terribly rude and if they do that I will reduce their tip drastically.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:17 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The only thing that bothers me is if the stylist starts pitching hair care products, the super expensive ones. They try to get me to buy $50 for hair condition and $50 for shampoo. I don't spend that kind of money on hair products and I don't care for high pressure sales pitches when I'm already spending a lot of money to get my hair done. It's terribly rude and if they do that I will reduce their tip drastically.
I've seen this opportunistic salesmanship taken to a whole new level: For example, I was getting my brows done when the girl say she'd like to invite me to an exclusive customer appreciation party: a dermatologist (no way!) is going to bring one of those special cameras that can show the damage your skin has already experienced from the sun, even though you can't see it. THEN, they can sell me services and products to "fix" this damage that I cannot see.

What? First of all, that is not a party. Second of all, no. At the very least, are their risks with this camera? How do I know if the treatment is successful? I mean, I'm not going to actually see it, right?

Old 12-22-2019, 10:28 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I've seen this opportunistic salesmanship taken to a whole new level: For example, I was getting my brows done when the girl say she'd like to invite me to an exclusive customer appreciation party: a dermatologist (no way!) is going to bring one of those special cameras that can show the damage your skin has already experienced from the sun, even though you can't see it. THEN, they can sell me services and products to "fix" this damage that I cannot see.

What? First of all, that is not a party. Second of all, no. At the very least, are their risks with this camera? How do I know if the treatment is successful? I mean, I'm not going to actually see it, right?
Lol, yeah, sounds more like a medical appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care