Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 12:02 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,583,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Yosemite is capacity controlled this summer, which is a big reason why I jumped on hotel reservations for there when I had the chance.

No big tour buses at the Grand Canyon yesterday, which was very nice. It was a decent crowd but nothing like you’ll get later in the summer.
You were at the Grand Canyon yesterday? Nice! I was there last July 2020. Because of Covid pandemic, it was not crowded at all. I went on a guided tour early in the morning. More people came in the afternoon but it was nothing crazy. I can't imagine going in the height of summer when it's extremely hot and has crowds.

I agree with the posters who've said Times Square. Heck yes, Times Square gets so packed with tourists that it can definitely become a claustrophobic inducing experience. When I still lived in NTC, I could also relate to walking fast and having a tourist abruptly stop in front of me on the sidewalk. Numerous times I barely averted mowing them down when that happened. I literally had to stop on a dime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 08:13 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
You were at the Grand Canyon yesterday? Nice! I was there last July 2020. Because of Covid pandemic, it was not crowded at all. I went on a guided tour early in the morning. More people came in the afternoon but it was nothing crazy. I can't imagine going in the height of summer when it's extremely hot and has crowds.
We did a northern Arizona trip to celebrate getting covid vaccines and getting on with life. Wanted a location that had good outdoor weather in May so we’d be in and out before the Memorial Day weekend kicked off what will likely be a very very busy summer domestic travel season and it worked out well.

Based out of Sedona and it was moderately crowded but IMO not bad compared to the throngs at my local beach towns.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:24 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Vegas

Old 05-28-2021, 04:29 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,009,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Vegas
Are you not elaborating cuz what happens in Vegas stays... oh, never mind. I'll see myself out.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:02 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree with the OP on the Smithsonian, but then the Statue of Liberty was ver close, and since I was in there on a really hot summer day, it seemed worse.
The SOL was crowded on a hot day when I was there, too. The funny part is that I grew up 30 miles away in NJ and then worked in the city for 11 years, where I could SEE the damn thing from the office, but I only actually ever went there for the first time in my life when I was 31 and someone from Wisconsin was visiting NJ and wanted to go. It was just awful, as I recall. Hot and too many people.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post

I agree with the posters who've said Times Square. Heck yes, Times Square gets so packed with tourists that it can definitely become a claustrophobic inducing experience. When I still lived in NTC, I could also relate to walking fast and having a tourist abruptly stop in front of me on the sidewalk. Numerous times I barely averted mowing them down when that happened. I literally had to stop on a dime.
I don't get the surprise or complaints about Times Square. An overcrowded place is the defining feature of Times Square and the very reason why New Yorkers avoid it.

Wasn't experiencing a jam-packed tourist trap the REASON you went there in the first place? Why else would anyone go?

Old 05-29-2021, 02:21 PM

765 posts, read 622,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't get the surprise or complaints about Times Square. An overcrowded place is the defining feature of Times Square and the very reason why New Yorkers avoid it.

Wasn't experiencing a jam-packed tourist trap the REASON you went there in the first place? Why else would anyone go?
I avoid it most of the time, but there are theaters in the area and sometimes I had to go through the area to get to them. It's rare, but it's always a bad experience.

Old 05-29-2021, 03:14 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
DH= Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife
DS = Dear Son
DD = Dear Daughter
I always thought it was darling rather than dear, but you may be right.

Old 05-29-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
I avoid it most of the time, but there are theaters in the area and sometimes I had to go through the area to get to them. It's rare, but it's always a bad experience.
Yes, I've had to walk through it to get to other places, and it isn't fun, but I am talking about people who purposely went there as tourists. They decided to go to a place whose main feature and reason for existence is that crowds of tourists go there. There is no other reason I can think of that anyone would go to Times Square except to want to be in a crowded place and see a lot of people in the same place at the same time. That is its purpose. What else is there?

It's not like the other places listed, like the Louvre or the Sistine Chapel, where there is something to see other than a lot of people.

Old 05-29-2021, 05:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Yellowstone National Park in September. Busses with every nationality everywhere, at all the major sites. And some of the foreign visitors are rude about hogging the views for personal pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel