Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 AM

13,432 posts, read 28,866,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Southwest does have a 'customer of size' policy that people say works reasonably well the majority of time.

Customer of Size

In general, I aim for an aisle seat and that helps cut down on the getting squished chances.
Wow that is a great policy.....now if we could only work around the leg room., my husband would be delighted, both of his arm rests can go down, he is not over weight just tall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 10:31 AM

13,257 posts, read 22,996,692 times
My personal issues with airline seats aren't because of size but rather proportions. I'm only 5'9" but have freakishly long femurs, and have run into a 767 coach configuration had my knees firmly in the seat in front of me. I so miss the old NWA in that regard- there was a clause in their contract with their mainline pilot's union that said partner airlines operating under a NWA paint job could only have X number of seats, so I'd actively look for Mesaba-run flights because they had more leg room than Delta's modern Economy Comfort.

Part two is shoulder width- from the waist down, I find airline seats acceptable comfortable, but I'm a broad-shouldered broad, (yes, it is possible to be a 34B bra size and need to buy XL shirts for shoulder space) and a 17" seat leaves me forced to hunch inward unless it's an aisle seat. Apparently 20% of airline passengers also have issues with shoulder space regardless of the size of the rest of them.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,059,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Wow that is a great policy.....now if we could only work around the leg room., my husband would be delighted, both of his arm rests can go down, he is not over weight just tall
I feel bad for people who are tall, as they are unable to control the effects of genetics I am the opposite, a short lady. My MIL reserved a flight for herself and I to Las Vegas. For reasons that completely mystify me, she spent extra for seats with EXTRA LEG ROOM, and I am just 5'2", while she is 5'3". I had agreed to reimburse her for the cost of the ticket, but had no idea she would pay extra for this useless legroom. When we boarded our flight, it turned out United had not only charged us $50/seat extra for more legroom, but our seats didn't recline, something United conveniently forgot to mention

Old 07-25-2014, 11:09 AM

13,432 posts, read 28,866,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I feel bad for people who are tall, as they are unable to control the effects of genetics I am the opposite, a short lady. My MIL reserved a flight for herself and I to Las Vegas. For reasons that completely mystify me, she spent extra for seats with EXTRA LEG ROOM, and I am just 5'2", while she is 5'3". I had agreed to reimburse her for the cost of the ticket, but had no idea she would pay extra for this useless legroom. When we boarded our flight, it turned out United had not only charged us $50/seat extra for more legroom, but our seats didn't recline, something United conveniently forgot to mention
Were they emergency exit row seats? If so I believe those seats don't recline.
At one time coach was coach now they up charge coach seats if you want the exit row, if you want the bulkhead.
Because of the mergers the competition isn't there anymore.

Depending on where I go I may try southwest next time...also for west coast I've heard good things about Air Alaska and Hawaii Air

Old 07-25-2014, 11:33 AM

556 posts, read 951,221 times
Quote:
In the case of Southwest, he could pay a little extra for their version of business class, which guarantees boarding among the first 15 people. He should be able to find a bulkhead or emergency exit seat.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:36 AM

51,747 posts, read 26,082,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
In this specific case, the member of the party in the aisle seat could get up and find a flight attendant, probably near the galley. Then say politely and in a normal tone of voice "the passenger in seat 4D is having trouble entering and exiting her seat, which is impeding my daughter's ability to use the restroom. I'm also concerned that her limited mobility will impede egress in the event of an emergency."
This is a reasonable way to handle it. But can't help but wonder what they would do with the person.

I've noticed many passengers with limited mobility. One elderly man I sat next to was so out of it I wondered what he would do in case of an emergency. He could barely move. Took him forever to get off the plane. What would he have done in case of an emergency?

Old 07-25-2014, 11:54 AM

556 posts, read 951,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This is a reasonable way to handle it. But can't help but wonder what they would do with the person.

I've noticed many passengers with limited mobility. One elderly man I sat next to was so out of it I wondered what he would do in case of an emergency. He could barely move. Took him forever to get off the plane. What would he have done in case of an emergency?
I think the easiest and most direct way of handling situation with the large woman in the aisle seat is to have her move to the window seat. It doesn't completely alleviate discomfort for everyone, but it does at least minimize the hazard of having a person block entry/exit to the row.

As for the very old, frail, or otherwise physically limited in an emergency, the harsh answers is that they would probably die. That's why people with limited mobility are not allowed in exit rows, and generally not allowed in aisle seats. It's the same principle behind the instructions to put your own mask on first before helping others who need assistance.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:26 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,201,463 times
I've never seen that aisle row rule in play for those unable to move on their own.

I know last week I flew, and there was a large woman who needed two canes to walk. She was supposed to have a middle seat, but after some jockeying ended up with an aisle seat while her friend (daughter? niece?) ended up with the aisle seat across from her. Her compatriot was large as well but could move well on her own. Anyways time coems to get off the plane, and the able bodied woman got up moved back a row and had to shove the other woman forward to get her moving so she could exit her seat.

It was obviously a strain and once I noticed what was happening I almost offered to help as the only guy behind them. I held off because I didn't want to unduly embarass the women. However, if the woman with the canes had been in the window seat as apparently she was supposed to be, I don't know how she'd have ever gotten off the plane.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:42 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,316,881 times
Quote:
I so agree and the posters using words like cow, pig etc are either suffering from keyboard muscles and wouldn't dare do in public what they claim they would or they are just nasty people I hope I never have the misfortune of having to sit next to on a flight.
It's easy to talk smack like that when you've got 'keyboard anonymity.'

But I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:44 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,316,881 times
Quote:
Were they emergency exit row seats? If so I believe those seats don't recline.
Correct. Emergency exit rows (and the row in front of emergency exit rows) don't recline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel