Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 PM

13,429 posts, read 28,835,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Deplane the offender. Let it hit the media a few times that a customer of size was deplaned because they were taking up space that they hadn't paid for and there was no place to move them on a full flight, and that problem would quickly fix itself with COS purchasing the two seats they need in advance.

If anything seats have gotten wider. I'm old enough to remember the seats on planes pre-deregulation--they were narrower and had minimal padding. The were about the same as a DASH-8 is today--with 17" seats that are hard as rocks.
Sure humiliate someone to the public like that and I can see the lawsuits against the carrier piling up.

I sure don't have the answer but the fares have climbed and most people struggle with that, I don't know how they would afford to buy two seats each way.

Some people are obese through no fault of their own but a medical issue.

I've never been in the situation of o/p but have had the person next to be fall asleep and have their head bob onto my shoulder...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 12:12 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,464,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I do realize that but also realize as more carriers merge, the competition shrinks and the customer will be the one to pay the price.
I hope that's not the attitude you portray to someone flying on your carrier. Listening to moaning and complaining comes with the territory of customer service and sorry but you are front line in your face customer service just like the kid at Mickey D's who gets screamed at because an order took to long.
Is it right? No, don't think it is but it is what it is.

can't take the heat get out of the kitchen

And an FYI I have no problem complaining to carrier when I've had a lousy flight with cranky flight service people ( and boy some of them just should of stayed home in bed instead of getting up on the wrong side of bed) I will also take the time to email when I've had a great flight with cheerful crew.

I've read many articles where maybe not the girth of the seat has changed on newer planes but the legroom has shrunk.
I get letters of praise almost every week. I am extremely pleasant to my passengers. They often tell me I am the kind of FA that they wish they had all the time. So, yeah, I take plenty of heat and I swallow plenty of rude and nasty behavior from some passengers. Away from work, I feel I can be honest about some issues of flying. Things have changed over the years. It is not that glamor experience it used to be.

I do applaud you for sending compliments for good service and definately I think people should not have to put up with cranky staff. Just remember, after our typical 10 to 15 hour day dealing with all sorts of situations, sometimes we do get tired.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:16 PM

13,429 posts, read 28,835,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I get letters of praise almost every week. I am extremely pleasant to my passengers. They often tell me I am the kind of FA that they wish they had all the time. So, yeah, I take plenty of heat and I swallow plenty of rude and nasty behavior from some passengers. Away from work, I feel I can be honest about some issues of flying. Things have changed over the years. It is not that glamor experience it used to be.

I do applaud you for sending compliments for good service and definately I think people should not have to put up with cranky staff. Just remember, after our typical 10 to 15 hour day dealing with all sorts of situations, sometimes we do get tired.
yes, I can understand that, you are not at work now just venting which we all do and I am sure you all do get tired.

I'm of the school if you can take the time to complain you can take the time praise as well

Old 07-24-2014, 12:19 PM

3,487 posts, read 9,453,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually every carrier I'm aware of does require the armrest to go down, and if it can't and there are no other seats, they can and will deplane the large passenger.
This happened recently on a regional jet I was on flying under Delta's name.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:19 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,505,050 times
Quote:
I do realize that but also realize as more carriers merge, the competition shrinks and the customer will be the one to pay the price.
I hope that's not the attitude you portray to someone flying on your carrier. Listening to moaning and complaining comes with the territory of customer service and sorry but you are front line in your face customer service just like the kid at Mickey D's who gets screamed at because an order took to long.
Is it right? No, don't think it is but it is what it is.

can't take the heat get out of the kitchen

And an FYI I have no problem complaining to carrier when I've had a lousy flight with cranky flight service people ( and boy some of them just should of stayed home in bed instead of getting up on the wrong side of bed) I will also take the time to email when I've had a great flight with cheerful crew.

I've read many articles where maybe not the girth of the seat has changed on newer planes but the legroom has shrunk.
I believe her point is that people flying should be mature adults, and not attack the Flight Attendant for something you darn well know is out of their control.

Don't like to sit next to fat people? Buy two seats.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,216,523 times
Quote:
Sure humiliate someone to the public like that and I can see the lawsuits against the carrier piling up.

I sure don't have the answer but the fares have climbed and most people struggle with that, I don't know how they would afford to buy two seats each way.

Some people are obese through no fault of their own but a medical issue.

I've never been in the situation of o/p but have had the person next to be fall asleep and have their head bob onto my shoulder...
The carriers aren't going to the press with it--it would be the person who was de-planed--humiliating themselves for being a dumbass and not buying the extra seat in advance.

Fares are dirt cheap. I can't drive for the cost of a plane ticket purchased in advance to most places.

Less than 5% are obese to the point of not fitting into a plane seat due to medical reasons. The rest need to take the cheeseburger out of their mouth and go for a walk. If I didn't say no to desert and crap food and spend 6-8 hours a week exercising I'd be obese, so yes, I'm going to say it. I work hard at maintaining a reasonable weight, and don't have sympathy for those who can't be bothered to do the same.

I've been in the OP's situation several times and have discretely escalated the problem to a CRO who moved me to first. The husband and wife who must have been 650 between them should have been denied boarding if they weren't willing to buy an extra seat.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post

Not to mention you don't get paid until the door closes while the Clampetts seem to be having a hard time understanding that 7B and &C aren't the same as 24B and 27E, the Hatfields are arguing with the gate agent about why they can't have four carry on's each, and Honey Boo Boo is having a melt down because the guy assigned the window seat doesn't want to give it up.

I've had a few wacky FA's, and one or two who really shouldn't have been in customer facing positions, but I've given out a LOT of "Above and Beyond" cards as well.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I believe her point is that people flying should be mature adults, and not attack the Flight Attendant for something you darn well know is out of their control.

Don't like to sit next to fat people? Buy two seats.
Nope. I buy the seat I can comfortably sit in without spilling into the seat next to me. I expect full use of my seat, not 30% of it taken by someone who can't fit into their own seat--or their lap baby.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:28 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,044,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Southwest does have a 'customer of size' policy that people say works reasonably well the majority of time.

Customer of Size

In general, I aim for an aisle seat and that helps cut down on the getting squished chances.
Very interesting policy....no charge for the additional seat. I may request this next time just to have more room. I'll wear bulky clothes to look bigger.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:47 PM

8,588 posts, read 7,001,386 times
We had an experience recently with a very obese woman on an international flight in the economy class section of a major carrier. I was in an aisle seat across from this woman. My daughter sat next to the woman and my three year old grand daughter had the window seat.

Once this very large lady was seated she could not get up without assistance. Since this was a long flight there were several times when my daughter and grand daughter had to get up to use the bathroom. I had to get up and help this women up so my family could go use the restrooms.

This women became really upset with me for having to get up and finally refused to get up again. My daughter had to pass my grand daughter over this women's head so I could take her again to the bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel