Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,113,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That really made me laugh. Care to find a source that backs up your assertion that they're "roomier"??

seatguru.com

Airline seats used to be 17", some even a smidge less. Now the average seat is 18", on some newer planes it's 18.5". What has changed is pitch, but only by an inch or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Why "announce"?? And how about something a little kinder like "this woman needs assistance to get up to allow them to get out and use the restroom."

Or do you just enjoy going through life humiliating people for sport?? She was likely getting upset because it was painful for her. That's hardly being a "cow".
Nope, because it wasn't a needing assistance issue, it was a refusing to move issue. If it was such a problem she should have offered to take the window so she wouldn't have to move. She was being a cow.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:16 PM

282 posts, read 445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
We had an experience recently with a very obese woman on an international flight in the economy class section of a major carrier. I was in an aisle seat across from this woman. My daughter sat next to the woman and my three year old grand daughter had the window seat.

Once this very large lady was seated she could not get up without assistance. Since this was a long flight there were several times when my daughter and grand daughter had to get up to use the bathroom. I had to get up and help this women up so my family could go use the restrooms.

This women became really upset with me for having to get up and finally refused to get up again. My daughter had to pass my grand daughter over this women's head so I could take her again to the bathroom.
It sounds like both you and this woman had aisle seats. Why didn't you just switch seats with her. It would have been an even trade for her, and you'd have been able to sit with your daughter and granddaughter.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:21 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,286,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
seatguru.com

Airline seats used to be 17", some even a smidge less. Now the average seat is 18", on some newer planes it's 18.5". What has changed is pitch, but only by an inch or so.
Seat guru only shows current seat sizes, not historical sizes. Not a good source to support your claim. I believe there was a link provided earlier in the thread that actually supports the opposite.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Nope, because it wasn't a needing assistance issue, it was a refusing to move issue. If it was such a problem she should have offered to take the window so she wouldn't have to move. She was being a cow.
So loudly humiliate her? Wow.

Nice compassion.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
So loudly humiliate her? Wow.

Nice compassion.
How would it be humiliating to her? She refused to move. It had nothing to do with her weight, it had to do with her being a jerk.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Seat guru only shows current seat sizes, not historical sizes. Not a good source to support your claim. I believe there was a link provided earlier in the thread that actually supports the opposite.
Nope. That article is referring to pitch, not width.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Nope. That article is referring to pitch, not width.
You must have stopped reading after a couple paragraphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Quote:
As recently reported in The Wall Street Journal, several airlines are adding an extra seat in each row of their widebody jets. They’re doing so by reducing seat width from the 18 or more inches common on long-haul and international flights to the 17 inches typically found on shorter, domestic routes.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
How would it be humiliating to her? She refused to move. It had nothing to do with her weight, it had to do with her being a jerk.
You don't think it would be humiliating her? That says a lot about you.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:19 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,681,180 times
How would it be humiliating?

She refused to move and didn't allow the granddaughter to go by to use restroom.

It would be more humiliating having to hand the granddaughter overhead because the cow wouldn't move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel