Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,549,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyCop View Post
I use GPS every day at work, and I get to calls before other officers that are closer alot of the time. I can have an address entered in a matter of seconds while others flip through a map book. When it gives me the route, I look at the big map on the GPS unit with the highlighted path (to see the area of the city it is in) and start heading that way on my own directions, and as I get closer, the GPS is continuously updating along with my turns to let me know where to go. My job would be alot harder without GPS.
What do you do when the houses are packed closely together and your GPS isn't sensative enough to distinguish one from another and they're not marked? Or, when streets aren't far enough apart to accomodate the limitations of GPS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 04:42 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,301,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
What do you do when the houses are packed closely together and your GPS isn't sensative enough to distinguish one from another and they're not marked? Or, when streets aren't far enough apart to accomodate the limitations of GPS?
I have never had this issue. Ever. I have used mine in 48 states and 14 countries and not one single issue. Maybe I should start teaching classes on how to use the system since so many are so challenged when it comes to such a simple device. If my almost 60 year old mother can use one, anyone can.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:53 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,549,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I have never had this issue. Ever. I have used mine in 48 states and 14 countries and not one single issue. Maybe I should start teaching classes on how to use the system since so many are so challenged when it comes to such a simple device. If my almost 60 year old mother can use one, anyone can.
I guess maybe you're just lucky (or, I'm unlucky!) because I've run into this and similar problems more than once.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,308,719 times
Quote:
How would a paper map solve the problem?

And as far as your last post, if the road was completed just days before I find it hard to believe that paper maps were already updated.

GPS is just another tool that works for some people.

I can't use GPS in Bangkok, but then again, the buildings and roads are so close it would be worthless. But I know that.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 PM

278 posts, read 994,014 times
Quote:
I've never seen 3 or more houses in a row that weren't marked with the street number. You can always find the house you're looking for based on other house numbers.

I've never seen streets that were so close together that my GPS couldn't distinguish them. On mine, you can zoom the map up/down if it isn't specific enough. There are two magnifying buttons in the top right corner to zoom.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:21 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,141,965 times
Quote:
1) In that situation, you'd be out of luck with most any map, too. At least a GPS will get you near there (as within a block), which is close enough to walk.

2) GPS is usually accurate to at least 10 m, often to 3 m, and I've never run across streets spaced that closely. I use mine to map out my three-foot wide lawnmower trails on my 5 acre yard.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,115 times
Whatever happened to planning your journey and following the signposts and watching the road in front of you. Sat Navs are all well and good for finding inner city streets in concrete jungles, but do we really need them for long distance journeys?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:06 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,308,719 times
You're free to do what you like.
I choose to use my navi, it gets me to places not always available on maps like gas stations, guest houses, groceries, etc.
I love mine.
No one is forcing you to use one.
My European travel is much faster now that I'm not getting lost a lot.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:36 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,301,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You're free to do what you like.
I choose to use my navi, it gets me to places not always available on maps like gas stations, guest houses, groceries, etc.
I love mine.
No one is forcing you to use one.
My European travel is much faster now that I'm not getting lost a lot.
I couldn't agree more. You want to fumble with paper maps, go for it. The rest of us will use our GPS systems and will get there 3 hours before you figure out your map! I truly don't get it, they are so simple to use. If Geico made them, they'd say so easy, even a Caveman can do it!

Old 11-19-2010, 01:45 PM

363 posts, read 1,044,308 times
Sometimes it's more than just the user's inability to use the system. I've had problems with Tom Tom and Garmin, but not with the Rand McNally model made for otr's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel