Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 04:02 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times

Advertisements

I don't use them because I don't need them. I have managed for years without such gadgets and can find my way just fine. All in all how many people other than business people, are going so many places daily they need instructions on how to get there. Most of us are going places we frequent as it is. I would think we would know how to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 04:47 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't use them because I don't need them. I have managed for years without such gadgets and can find my way just fine. All in all how many people other than business people, are going so many places daily they need instructions on how to get there. Most of us are going places we frequent as it is. I would think we would know how to get there.
Not necessarily! More people than you think are...shall we say...geographically challenged.

Remember Miss Daisy? "This isn't the way to the Piggly Wiggly!"

Old 11-17-2010, 05:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
When I was running my consulting business I went out into farm country quite often. Following directions from someone who has lived out there 30 years is not easy. Obvious landmarks for them are not for us.

My Garmin saved me a lot of wandering...

And we like it on trips especially when driving through larger, unfamiliar city freeways. Some of those are a mess and very confusing.

We also carry paper maps, just 'cuz...

Old 11-17-2010, 06:01 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Not necessarily! More people than you think are...shall we say...geographically challenged.

Remember Miss Daisy? "This isn't the way to the Piggly Wiggly!"

I do remember that phrase. Good Movie. Yep many geographically challenged.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
I can decide on a European city, get my hotel on bookings.com and set my navi so I can get to the town after work on Friday and be refreshed for my real experience in the town in the morning.

I don't have the time or interest to spend 4 days looking at maps every week.

I travel 3 out of 4 weekends a month so a navi is a great thing for me.

If you don't travel as I do, or even if you do, do it your way.
No one is asking you to do otherwise, are they?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
I used a Tom Tom once up in Oklahoma and got horrendously lost. It didn't know the county had recently changed all the rural roads from names to 911 numbers. Neither did I.
Why would the GPS care about road names? It only sees a series of vector operations...?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Why would the GPS care about road names? It only sees a series of vector operations...?

GPS means Global Positioning System, a satellite-based technology to pinpoint specific locations on the earth. All travel aids, such as Tom Tom, Garmin, etc use that system to direct you to where you want or need to go.

In the example I referenced, I was using Tom Tom, a commercially available navigation system based upon GPS. You enter your location, the location you want to go to, and it uses overlaying maps to chart it's recommended course.

Naturally, that recommendation is highly dependent upon continuously updated information about changes in road alignment and designations (available via internet downloads) and, up there in Oklahoma, the information was too new for either Tom Tom or I to know about it. The county roads had been changed from names to numbers just literally days before I arrived.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
GPS means Global Positioning System, a satellite-based technology to pinpoint specific locations on the earth. All travel aids, such as Tom Tom, Garmin, etc use that system to direct you to where you want or need to go.

In the example I referenced, I was using Tom Tom, a commercially available navigation system based upon GPS. You enter your location, the location you want to go to, and it uses overlaying maps to chart it's recommended course.

Naturally, that recommendation is highly dependent upon continuously updated information about changes in road alignment and designations (available via internet downloads) and, up there in Oklahoma, the information was too new for either Tom Tom or I to know about it. The county roads had been changed from names to numbers just literally days before I arrived.
In this case paper maps would have been just as useless as a GPS.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:50 PM

278 posts, read 993,527 times
I use GPS every day at work, and I get to calls before other officers that are closer alot of the time. I can have an address entered in a matter of seconds while others flip through a map book. When it gives me the route, I look at the big map on the GPS unit with the highlighted path (to see the area of the city it is in) and start heading that way on my own directions, and as I get closer, the GPS is continuously updating along with my turns to let me know where to go. My job would be alot harder without GPS.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
In this case paper maps would have been just as useless as a GPS.

No, they weren't. Once I got paper maps, I could judge the relative distances between one cross road and another and determine which was the right place to turn.

My biggest problem, which neither Tom Tom or the paper maps could solve, was the housing numbers along the roads. They did not progress numerically from one place to another in sequence. For instance, the house I was sitting in front of may have been designated as 2000 on X number road, but the next one wasn't necessarily 2001 or 2002. It might very well be 2450, 5000 or something else.

The Tom Tom seemed to assume that the next number would be in sequence. So did I, but I was able to more rapidly assess the reality and make allowances than Tom Tom could have ever done without driving back to an internet outlet and re-programming the device. The house numbers counted up one side of the road (from the county baseline and meridian) and down the other side from the road terminus.

Without my maps and common sense, I might not have ever figured that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel