Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 06:41 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,242,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Why Toyota is in the process of fixing the problem with new floor mats and shortened accelerator pedals. I'd much rather be driving a Toyota than a Ford. Remember the Pinto
.... Floor mats aren't the problem. Getting all that fixed just provides a false sense of security. Of all the companies to deflect attention to why would you choose Ford? They are one of the best automakers on the market right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 06:57 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,948,459 times
On my 99 SR5 Toy,had to have module reset due to ck sensor light which was for side air bag which did not exist.The surprising thing to me was when they said the module will have to relearn me as driver.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,042,941 times
shades of Audi 100 un-intended acceleration of the early 80s... and Toyota is handling it as poorly as Audi..

Old 01-17-2010, 09:04 PM

2,175 posts, read 3,401,963 times
Quote:
There is no reliable source here, except for you Japanese haters.
Keep living in denial.

I find it quite entertaining how much the roles have reversed. Those who lambasted domestics in the past for ignoring defects are now giving a free pass to Toyota for a serious electronic defect that has caused multiple accidents and deaths.

Now Ford is quickly moving in to take the quality crown. I am thoroughly looking forward to the day that it graces the cover of Consumer Reports.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:14 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,045,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Keep living in denial.

I find it quite entertaining how much the roles have reversed. Those who lambasted domestics in the past for ignoring defects are now giving a free pass to Toyota for a serious electronic defect that has caused multiple accidents and deaths.

Now Ford is quickly moving in to take the quality crown. I am thoroughly looking forward to the day that it graces the cover of Consumer Reports.
All makes have their problems.

The Big Three of of US have produced junk for years and that is why the Japanese have gotten such a foot hold here. They produced reliable vehicles.

I do not ignore defects of any manufacturer, but I will continue to eschew domestic brands in favor of what I want to own. That is free enterprise!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:49 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,713,110 times
So... any legitimate sources for this story?

From what I can gather, leftlanenews.com is run out of some guy's apartment, and appears to be a mostly pay per click ad site with regurgitated automotive "news" and photos "borrowed" from legitimate sources. Not exactly Pulitzer material. Also, leftlanenews.com seems to be the only "news" source that has this special story--probably to drive up traffic to the site.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
All makes have their problems.

The Big Three of of US have produced junk for years and that is why the Japanese have gotten such a foot hold here. They produced reliable vehicles.

I do not ignore defects of any manufacturer, but I will continue to eschew domestic brands in favor of what I want to own. That is free enterprise!
They produced junk for years, but now they are producing product on par or superior to their Japanese competition and people are waking up to it.

63% of consumers polled recently said they would be willing to purchase a Ford vehicle, up from 46% in 2006. Ford has made strides in quality and those willing to shop around are taking notice.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
So... any legitimate sources for this story?

From what I can gather, leftlanenews.com is run out of some guy's apartment, and appears to be a mostly pay per click ad site with regurgitated automotive "news" and photos "borrowed" from legitimate sources. Not exactly Pulitzer material. Also, leftlanenews.com seems to be the only "news" source that has this special story--probably to drive up traffic to the site.
From the source
Toyota Sudden Unintended Acceleration Problems Continuing |

Dallas crash
2 more die after car plunges into pond in Southlake | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News

And in the comments section...another sudden acceleration incident
Quote:
As for the Toyota possiibly accelerating, my family had a possible incident with this.
Our Toyota is a 2005 Camry and one year behind the recall. We had just pulled into a parking spot at Luby's maybe going 1 or 2 mph. All of the sudden the engine revved like crazy and we went from 1mph to who knows what and crashed into the concrete lightpole just in front of us. It was enough that the whole front end of the car was smashed in. My husband swore he hit the brake and not the accelerator but there's no way to prove it. It hasn't happened again but you can just imagine that playing out in a different situation.....

Old 01-18-2010, 07:56 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,191,039 times
Quote:
Why Toyota is in the process of fixing the problem with new floor mats and shortened accelerator pedals. I'd much rather be driving a Toyota than a Ford. Remember the Pinto
oh, you mean that car they stopped making DECADES ago? yeah, that's relevant.

Mike

Old 01-18-2010, 08:25 AM

7,004 posts, read 21,362,005 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPhanatic View Post
Why are you bringing up Ford's? I have not heard of a similar problem in the Ford line of vehicles.

Here we go again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion