Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,702 times

Advertisements

This thread is not, I repeat NOT meant to be yet another Toyota bashing thread. It is simply an observation that I have made after having purchased my new car in September and it's proof that Toyota's issues have made the auto industry sit up and take notice.

My new 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe has an electronic throttle but I don't mind. I couldn't help but notice the increase in warnings about floor mats, either. Not only did the 2010 model get two retention posts for the mat instead of one, the carpeted mats that came with the car included a bright orange warning label that stated not to stack floor mats and to make sure they are secured. The rubber mats I bought for the winter season also came with this label that also insisted I not remove the warning. I did it anyway. I don't stack mats and I know how to fit them, thank you very much.

The precautions don't end there, either. Hyundai adjusted the position and changed the shape of the accelerator pedal, as well. It is shorter and positioned higher up now and even when fully depressed, leaves a great deal of clearance between the edge of the pedal and the floor. Clearly this is done to prevent an unsecured floor mat from jamming up underneath the pedal. There is also a greater distance between the two pedals, I'm assuming to avoid driver confusion and panic should a UA incident occur. Not only that but it now comes with a brake override that I discovered out of curiosity. If the gas pedal is depressed beyond a certain point and the brake pedal is pressed, the throttle immediately goes back to zero. The brake pedal must be released before the throttle will respond again.

I found this rather interesting and it's proof that the car industry does pay attention to these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 06:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
I honestly could never understand why most drivers couldn't switch their car into neutral if it started accelerating unintentionally. Scary, yes. But a bit overhyped.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:51 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
Quote:
switch their car into neutral if it started accelerating unintentionally
Awww nei, there you go again using common sense...

Old 12-02-2010, 05:05 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Basically with the NSTA finding it really has been over blown. Even then the number of compaints as shown by conputer wasn't even different enough to recognise on toyotas. Reminds me of the results of teh Exploer ;firestone tire probelem. result to install tire pressure monitors to tell people you need to check the tires.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:14 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I honestly could never understand why most drivers couldn't switch their car into neutral if it started accelerating unintentionally. Scary, yes. But a bit overhyped.
thats simply because they won't make the news then and get the big payoff law suit..

Old 12-02-2010, 12:50 PM

474 posts, read 905,086 times
The OP's point though is a good one. Car manufacturers do not want any hint of DEATH caused by one of their vehicles.

It costs nothing to design an accelerator pedal that won't get stuck with stacked or incorrectly installed floor mats. So I think we will see many vehicles with different gas pedals in next year or two.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
It doesn't cost anything to use common sense either but we HAVE to blame someone/something because WE can't do anything wrong.....

Holy crap!
Quote:
incorrectly installed floor mats.
Now that really would take a rocket scientist to figure out how to move the floormat in a car.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:47 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
The car carpet police are gonna come bust you for takin off their tags.

This morning backing my 85 volvo wagon out of the barn my foot slipped off the clutch and the car sort of lurched for it. I had a little ice on my boots I guess.

The odd thing on this cable driven throttle body is the car acceled to 3,000 RPM all by it self. I stopped with the engine reving in orbit, dropped it into 1st gear and away we went. I drove the 1/2 mile driveway stopped to turn and drove back all in auto throttle mode.

I figured i must have broken a vacuum line somewhere. I shut the engine off and it sputtered a bit being at a way to high rpm. Popped the hood and checked the throttle plate linkage for stuck or a frayed cable end. nada. looked over all the snake pit vac lines and didn't find anything wrong there either.

Started the car and it was normal, go figure.

My best guess is the CIS motor Constant Idle Solenoid went to wide open at the cold start controll that allows more metered air to a cold start system, and or it's flutter valve jammed.

So it doesn't have be a freak wild carpet ride, or a bad rehostat on a fly by wire system to get un-controlled RPM.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:10 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Back in 1984 or so my dad and I was traveling in his suburban. He states out loud that he has been riding the brakes as the engine was speeding up on it's own. He slips it in neutral and we get off at a off ramp. One of the solenoids on the carb was increasing the fuel volumne. I forget if it was vacuum or electric but we disabled it and drove home.

On newer vehicles now you can turn off the key fully and still have steering control, as long as you do not remove the key! Years past you had to turm back a small partial turn, all the way back would lock steering.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
thats simply because they won't make the news then and get the big payoff law suit..
Probably. Although, I talked to someone in my family and she said if it happened to her she would have tried to brake and she wouldn't have thought to shift to neutral. She's definitely bright, just doesn't think much about cars. A lot of people don't really have much of a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive