Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:45 PM

520 posts, read 1,006,118 times

Advertisements

Own a 2004 Nissan Murano SL with 94,000+ miles. Does not have 4-wheel drive. Picked kids up from school just fine. Stopped @ store. Came out and put car in reverse and it would not go over 2 mph. Finally put it in drive and still would not go over 2 mph. Hills were definitely a challenge. Drove it no more than 2 miles home. Service Engine Soon light was on the whole way.

Searched online. One guy said he had his transmission replaced for $6,000, but the new trans. was flawed. But, others were saying that it is an accelerator cable issue and that the cable needs to be replaced or bolted down and their problems went away. This was a $180+ fix. None of this, they say, is covered by the powertrain warranty.

Most advise to have them run the code and if it comes back 1000 - or something like this - then it is the accelerator cable.

Any ideas, experience or expert knowledge before I take it to these shady dealers? For this type of issue, would you recommend going to a Nissan service shop or would a mom-and-pop mechanic shop do just fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Get a helper and have them start the engine and in park/ neutral brake on get them to steep on the gas pedal. You go to the tail pipe and see if it seems clear or hisses.

If it hisses look at the cat under the car. I am not sure where it is on this car. It could be closer to the engine or the first pod muffler looking item in line down stream. You have the miles for a clooged cat. A clogged cat can become orange in low light and the head pipe between it can be come that hot color too. If it is do not touch it, don't even think to touch it.

Not sayin' it can't be something else, but if I am right you don't even want to run that engine.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
I think Mac tried to help, but if his answer wasn't "Get that CEL scanned for trouble codes and proceed from there" then it wasn't help at all.

Anything other than that and you are just tossing probable bad guesses into thin air.

Quite frankly, I am shocked an '04 Murano has an accelerator cable, but I am sure that would not be the only ride that new that would still have one...

So, yeah, that is it. Pull codes, diagnose, repair properly.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Might be. I am old and dated, and refuse any cars with OBD or OBD II. I watched a tech read codes as the car on the lift glowed a orange hot cat. I was light years ahead of him knowing what was wrong.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
If in fact it is the transmission, why wouldn't it be covered under the powertrain warranty (provided said warranty is still in effect)? Or am I misunderstanding and you're saying that a throttle cable repair wouldn't be covered under the powertrain warranty? The cable technically isn't part of the powertrain, so yeah, it probably wouldn't be covered if in fact that's the issue.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
It could just be a sensor. I had one go bad and it cause the vehicle to not shift out of first gear.

By the way, how do you even measure 2mph?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
If you plan to have the car inspected you got to resolve the CEL first...You need a person to read and understand the code and then be able to know how it relates to fixing the car....Put in in neutral and if it will not accelerate check the cable for operation. If it does look at the tranny.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
If you plan to have the car inspected you got to resolve the CEL first...You need a person to read and understand the code and then be able to know how it relates to fixing the car....Put in in neutral and if it will not accelerate check the cable for operation. If it does look at the tranny.
I don't know of many cars that accelerate when in neutral.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:20 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
You have to get the code checked so you have a better idea what you are dealing with.

Just as a FYI, your car does not have a throttle cable, it is a drive by wire system. The pedal in the car has a sensor that sends a signal to a sensor on the throttle body that opens the blade. Sticking was a somewhat common issue on early Nissan drive by wire throttles. Have you driven the car since this happened? Turning the car on and off will cause a hard reset to the throttle body and may clear the issue up. If it happens again after clearing, then you are looking at needing the throttle body cleaned and perhaps getting the sensors replaced.

Other issues would be the aforementioned clogged cat, bad trans or some other random sensor. The only way to know for sure is to get the codes pulled. I would personally avoid the dealer at this point and take the car to an independent shop until you can confirm the issue.

If the issue turns out to be the CVT transmission, you should be covered under the Nissan extended CVT warranty that is for 10yrs/120k miles. All of your other coverages have expired, including the federal emissions warranty, but your trans should still be covered. I would take it to a local shop and have them diagnose it. If it turns out to be the trans, contact the local Nissan dealer and have it towed to the dealer on their dime and replace the trans.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
I love the Murano but didn't buy one due to the problems with the CVT transmission. It's a common problem from what I've read and hasn't been easy to resolve either.

Start with the CVT transmission. I know some people have gotten faulty trans replaced for free. Nissan knows about this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti