Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:42 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,209,112 times

Advertisements

I'm curious-will a Prius work as a car if the battery fails? Drive off only the ICE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 08:23 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Yeah and most NA small 4's are slow...that was my point, it's just generally slow.
Yup, it's no mustang or gti. But it's extremely fuel efficient, more so than other cars that are just as slow so would anyone expect anything different or does it need to be repeated? Not really. When comparing new cars, there just isn't any other car that gives you the same cost per mile and also has the cargo capacity, cabin tech and comfort. It's a purpose-built car with great utility. Anyone buying one knows this and is not looking for a sports car.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:33 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,526,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Yup, it's no mustang or gti. But it's extremely fuel efficient, more so than other cars that are just as slow so would anyone expect anything different or does it need to be repeated? Not really. When comparing new cars, there just isn't any other car that gives you the same cost per mile and also has the cargo capacity, cabin tech and comfort. It's a purpose-built car with great utility. Anyone buying one knows this and is not looking for a sports car.
Some people are thickheaded.. what!? It gets over 50mpg but isn't as quick as a viper!??!.. wth..

Old 07-21-2012, 03:10 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,990,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Some people are thickheaded.. what!? It gets over 50mpg but isn't as quick as a viper!??!.. wth..
Not sure if you referring to me but if so, what you insinuated wasn't even close to the original point I was making.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
it might have already been said but you can get a car that gets around the same MPG, isnt one of the ugliest cars on the market, and is actually fun to drive, for the same amount of money or less. Unless someone just loves the look of the Prius(in which they need to get their eyes checked), I cant see the appeal of picking that car when there are far better options out there.
Not you particularly, but this post raises the question if you have a clue... What other current car out thee are you talking about that can easily get 45-60 mpg COMBINED real world fuel mileage, for 19-26 k? Relable and free scheduled services even, standard bluetooth, climate control, and cruise etc. sure is nice as well.. theres certsinly eco cars out there that claim around 40 mpg HIGHWAY, but they're closer to MAYBE 30 mpg COMBINED.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:52 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,880,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Does anyone own a Prius and have feedback? I want a car with really good mileage, reliable, with a hatch back. Any thoughts about the battery replacement costs?
Hi G Grasshopper--

I bought a (used) Prius about four months ago and it's been an absolute dream. Nothing's gone wrong whatsoever and gets 50-55 MPG all day long. I average about 25-30,000 miles per year and fuel efficiency is a top priority - and I wouldn't look anywhere else.

The guys at CNW made a big ham a while back about how the Prius battery would be prohibitively expensive to replace and would die before long. That isn't the case - you can get a battery for under $1,000 by now. 04 and newer Prius Parts Cars

Also, I have a friend whose family drives nothing but Priuses - the parents share a 2010, an older sister has an '07, and the friend (younger brother) has an '04. Both the '07 and '04 are over 200k miles and the batteries are still going strong.

That said, performance can leave something to be desired. That's what a weekend car is for. Something with eight cylinders.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Not you particularly, but this post raises the question if you have a clue... What other current car out thee are you talking about that can easily get 45-60 mpg COMBINED real world fuel mileage, for 19-26 k? Relable and free scheduled services even, standard bluetooth, climate control, and cruise etc. sure is nice as well.. theres certsinly eco cars out there that claim around 40 mpg HIGHWAY, but they're closer to MAYBE 30 mpg COMBINED.
Even though I'm not a VW fan by any stretch of the imagination, I immediately thought of a tdi jetta or golf. For reliability, the Prius. And the fuel economy on the tdi's is really good, but not as good as the Prius. However the tdi's and the Prius have the same basic warranty yet the tdi's get a better roadside and free maintenance warranty. To boot, these cars are comparatively priced. But my whole point was someone who wants a good commuter car doesn't have to pigeonhole themselves into a Prius especially if that person wants a car to be fun to drive as well.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:27 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,832,449 times
Quote:
But my whole point was someone who wants a good commuter car doesn't have to pigeonhole themselves into a Prius especially if that person wants a car to be fun to drive as well.
Absolutely true.
But except for maybe extreme cases in daily driving terrain/traffic/etc, when buying both new and comparing apples to apples as far as what you are getting in each car, the Prius is still the cheaper car to own. Less fun, yes. And trust me... I'm a long time audi and vw guy. I REALLY wanted the TDI to be the smarter choice. But it just wasn't. Maybe if diesel was the same price as regular it would have been a closer call.
But ya, if you really need that fun factor, the TDI is a great compromise.

And then there is the Lexus CT200h.
I actually would have bough this car except for one thing. The interior was much too small! Couldn't fit a rear facing carseat in the back and sit comfortably in the front. Driver or passenger. Backseat and trunk space were much smaller. The Prius is surprisingly roomy inside. Too bad. Would have been a nicer transition from my A3.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Even though I'm not a VW fan by any stretch of the imagination, I immediately thought of a tdi jetta or golf. For reliability, the Prius. And the fuel economy on the tdi's is really good, but not as good as the Prius. However the tdi's and the Prius have the same basic warranty yet the tdi's get a better roadside and free maintenance warranty. To boot, these cars are comparatively priced. But my whole point was someone who wants a good commuter car doesn't have to pigeonhole themselves into a Prius especially if that person wants a car to be fun to drive as well.
With a real world of MPG of 39-44 and diesel being 25-45 cents more per gallon where I live that still isnt even in the same ballpark as something that gets 45-60MPG real world with much cheaper and easier to find regular unleaded. Nevermind the much higher cost of ownership after that VW warranty runs out.. The VW "specialty" shops are some of the busiest out here for a reason. And as far as fun to drive, I can make anything fun to drive. The Prius really is no "worse" of a car to drive than any other modest, economy minded street car platform.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
With a real world of MPG of 39-44 and diesel being 25-45 cents more per gallon where I live that still isnt even in the same ballpark as something that gets 45-60MPG real world with much cheaper and easier to find regular unleaded. Nevermind the much higher cost of ownership after that VW warranty runs out.. The VW "specialty" shops are some of the busiest out here for a reason. And as far as fun to drive, I can make anything fun to drive. The Prius really is no "worse" of a car to drive than any other modest, economy minded street car platform.
Yeah some people will compromise in some areas to have better things in other areas. Me personally if I had to choose between just those I would go with one of the tdi's simply because they would be far more enjoyable to drive with good mileage on top of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion