Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 PM

13,036 posts, read 13,571,909 times

Advertisements

How much does an average Prius cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 PM

67 posts, read 165,469 times
From all that I hear about the expense of maintenance and repairs, hybrids scare me. I recently bought a Mazda3 hatch with Skyactiv, it's a new technology for fuel efficiency, and it's the highest of all non-hybrid cars from what I read. My average fuel mileage on it is 32 mpg, and that's with a commute in rush hour traffic. I think the EPA sticker said 40 mpg highway. It's definitely worth looking at. The efficiency is a little bit smaller, but the cost difference is huge.

They do have small SUV with the same technology called the CX5, 2013 is the first model year available but they're selling them now. Obviously, it's not the same fuel mileage, but still was better than even most cars.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,332,591 times
Are you sure you are spelling that right? Thought they were spelled Pious.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:00 PM

625 posts, read 1,141,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollard View Post
I own a Gen III (2010) prius with 50,000 miles on it.
We love it, and have had ZERO problems with it. You should check out www.priuschat.com for more information about the car
Don in Austin is mistaken. I check my mileage (not by the computer, but by calculating it using miles driven since last fillup and amount of gas consumed) and I consistantly get 50 miles/gallon without even trying (I am not one of those crazy ones who "hypermiles". I am well versed in Prius' (thanks to the above mentioned website) and I feel that Don is way off base, or is referring to the older Gen I Prius'.
We could not be happier with our Gen III Prius, and I work with four other people who feel the same way. I don't have 100,000+ miles on it yet, but there are plenty who do on www.priuschat.com and don't report problems like Don says.
USA Today did an excellent write-up on the Prius V recently.
Agreed. Priuschat was the place I'd go to learn everything Prius, when I was in one. People on that forum are absolute geeks on all things hybrid. Gen II- 2008. Best hack I ever found there was how to disable the beep when in reverse (so annoying).

I had an opportunity to drive one, without ownership (co car). Spent alot of time in one. Overall, I found it to be a rock solid, that was a great in town, and quite capable on long trips. No mechanical issues after 80k.

Regarding mpg, the EPA stats on the sticker never quite matched for me. Then again, I drove it pretty hard (no hyper-miler here!). Seemed to get around 38 city/42 road I think.

I'd have a hard time coughing up my own dough for one. If fuel economy is key, I believe you can break even for less in a different model, albeit, can't argue with the emissions.

Last edited by mayfair44; 07-15-2012 at 09:11 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 PM

307 posts, read 727,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFamily View Post
From all that I hear about the expense of maintenance and repairs, hybrids scare me. I recently bought a Mazda3 hatch with Skyactiv, it's a new technology for fuel efficiency, and it's the highest of all non-hybrid cars from what I read. My average fuel mileage on it is 32 mpg, and that's with a commute in rush hour traffic. I think the EPA sticker said 40 mpg highway. It's definitely worth looking at. The efficiency is a little bit smaller, but the cost difference is huge.

They do have small SUV with the same technology called the CX5, 2013 is the first model year available but they're selling them now. Obviously, it's not the same fuel mileage, but still was better than even most cars.
I'm not sure where "what you hear" comes from. And they are most likely not coming from Prius owners. The maintenance costs with a Prius are actually lower - the engine isn't running all of the time like a normal car.

I would do some solid research about the subject before making a statment like that.
And I believe there are several Kia models (non-hybrid) that get better mileage than what you are quoting.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 PM

597 posts, read 1,325,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
I bought a used Prius from the Hertz Rent to Buy Program. In brief, you browse the available vehicles and select the one that interests you. They deliver it to the nearest Hertz location to your home and you then can rent it for up to three days. During that time you give it a thorough tryout and can take it to a mechanic specializing in hybrids for inspection. If you like it, you purchase it at the predetermined price and are credited for the rental charge incurred. If you don't want to buy it after all, just return it as a normal rental. The Prius I bought was still under manufacturer's warranty, had all of the service bulletin recommendations performed and has given me no problems in the two years I have owned it. It is definitely powerful enough for most driving conditions. Because of its areodynamic design, however, handling can be a bit squirrely in high wind conditions. It took awhile to get used to but now I just reduce speed and there is no problem. I bought my Prius at the downtown Austin location.
After your post I looked into this and I couldn't find anything about this in Austin. Nearest location for hertz car buying was San Angelo, TX.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:33 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,160,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
To be honest, I believe this thread would be a better fit for the Automotive forum.
You are probably right. Sorry. I'm so used to asking about things on this forum, I didn't think about another.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:41 PM

15,335 posts, read 35,941,533 times
I have two co-workers who lover theirs, and I have enjoyed riding in them (surprisingly roomy and comfortable). The biggest drawback I have heard is the cost of work if you are in a wreck.

Have an in-law that has the Civic Hybrid (10 years old) and needed a new battery pack. Manufacturers battery was 3,000, so not a killer, I think the batteries run around the same price.

As an aside, hybrids were eventually designed to lower emissions, not just to save gas. The reduction in emissions is much, much greater than the savings in gas would indicate - the electric motor takes over during peak emission acceleration. My 1987 Toyota Tercel got 47 MPG when I bought it, so about the same as a typical Prius. Hybrids in general often have excellent acceleration and climbing power due to the electric motor boost.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:30 AM

2,183 posts, read 3,646,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollard View Post
I own a Gen III (2010) prius with 50,000 miles on it.
We love it, and have had ZERO problems with it. You should check out www.priuschat.com for more information about the car
Don in Austin is mistaken. I check my mileage (not by the computer, but by calculating it using miles driven since last fillup and amount of gas consumed) and I consistantly get 50 miles/gallon without even trying (I am not one of those crazy ones who "hypermiles". I am well versed in Prius' (thanks to the above mentioned website) and I feel that Don is way off base, or is referring to the older Gen I Prius'.
We could not be happier with our Gen III Prius, and I work with four other people who feel the same way. I don't have 100,000+ miles on it yet, but there are plenty who do on www.priuschat.com and don't report problems like Don says.
USA Today did an excellent write-up on the Prius V recently.
I am not mistaken. I reported what I frequently see. Your mileage may differ. I am happy for you that it does.

And my experience has been with Gen 1 and 2, for the most part. We won't be doing repairs on the Gen 3 for a while yet.

Don in Austin

Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,351,163 times
I guess if you want a car that looks like a toaster, has no soul, but will get you good gas mileage, you will like it. There are much better cars out there though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion