Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:58 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Does anyone own a Prius and have feedback? I want a car with really good mileage, reliable, with a hatch back. Any thoughts about the battery replacement costs?
My father has one and loves it. I have very long legs, so I find the legroom to be too short for me, and the seats to be uncomfortable. I often drive his car when we go out of town to visit family (it gets better mpgs than my SUV). I have an SUV because it's easier on my joints, but for a sedan the Prius sits nicely from the ground vs. many other sedans. If I drove more, and they made one that could accommodate my long legs/bad joints, I'd get a Prius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 AM

6 posts, read 7,301 times
We bought our Prius in 2009 new. We currently have 78,000 miles on it (we travel lots and have been everywhere in the thing) and have never had any problems with it. We did purchase the extended warranty on the car mainly to cover the battery. We consistently get about 45 mpg, it went down a little with the last set of tires we bought. We followed friends to Michigan last summer and we had to fill up half as much as our friends. They were driving larger vehicles (flex, odyssey) but those also have larger tanks. Also, we have followed to the t all recommended maintenance.
As far as driving around Austin I can't give you to much feedback on that because we just moved here about a month ago from Nashville but we drove to the Smokies quite often and never had any issues. We keep our vehicles until it becomes a larger debt to repair than to replace. Haven't had to repair anything yet.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM

59 posts, read 218,710 times
We have a 2005 Prius, which we bought new. It has close to 98,000 miles and we have never had an ounce of trouble with it. When this one dies, I will probably get another one. I consistently get 48 MPG, which is a combination of city and highway driving. I would recommend a Prius if anyone is thinking about getting one.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:04 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
I guess that good looks are in the eye of the beholder, but I think the Prius looks good, too, despite what some say. The new Prius has a package that includes solar powered ventilation, which could come in handy, since I live in Texas. Has anyone had experience with that?

Old 07-16-2012, 01:09 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Does anyone own a Prius and have feedback? I want a car with really good mileage, reliable, with a hatch back. Any thoughts about the battery replacement costs?
My brother has one and loves it as far as I know. I think he leased his so he won't have to worry about batteries.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:11 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
I guess that good looks are in the eye of the beholder, but I think the Prius looks good, too, despite what some say. The new Prius has a package that includes solar powered ventilation, which could come in handy, since I live in Texas. Has anyone had experience with that?
I don't understand the Prius hate at all. Just look at a Chevy Avalanche, that is one of the ugliest, most impracticle things on wheels I have ever seen.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:15 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,527 times
2004 with 97,000 miles and no problems. Drive it skiing with three adults and all our gear over Loveland Pass (almost 12,000 ft) about 15 times last winter. Easily get 48 to 50 mpg in summer and 43-47 in winter with studded snows. Replacing the battry is VERY rare.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:31 PM

2,139 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
2004 with 97,000 miles and no problems. Drive it skiing with three adults and all our gear over Loveland Pass (almost 12,000 ft) about 15 times last winter. Easily get 48 to 50 mpg in summer and 43-47 in winter with studded snows. Replacing the battry is VERY rare.
Why have the batteries been on backorder for the Gen 2, in that case? Six week wait at the dealership for a replacement battery this summer. We saw several failed batteries just at my small independent shop. One car had only 32k miles. All the ones we have seen so far this summer were under 100k.

Sure, the batteries can last longer, but battery failure is hardly rare in my experience.

Don in Austin

Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
The Prius really works for someone who does a lot of stop-and-go driving - note the mileage is better in-town than highway. This is because of the dynamic braking.

Don's right though - not cheap to maintain out of warrenty, and particularly when he notes that there are better choices like the Fit out there, while a Fit won't match the Prius' in-town MPG, it's probably very close on the highway, and it's all known old school technology. Or if you prefer a Toy, get something like a Yaris.

Also it depends on what you want from the car. If you are looking for minimum cost per mile over a certain number of years or miles, unless gas goes way up probably a Prius, particularly a new one, is not going to be the cheapest. If you just want to dink around and experience hybrid technology, though, go for it.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
You should also consider the VW diesel cars like the Golf and Jetta.

First off, where do you do your most driving, open interstate or stop and go traffic like in town or rush hour? If open road, go diesel or non-hybrid compact sedans. If stop and go, go hybrid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion