Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 AM

310 posts, read 1,030,182 times

Advertisements

I knew someone who owned a prius. It was about 9 years old, I think. Had well over 100k miles. Still haven't had to replace battery, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I also had the opportunity to drive one. I think they are cool cars, I would love to own one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,990,760 times
it might have already been said but you can get a car that gets around the same MPG, isnt one of the ugliest cars on the market, and is actually fun to drive, for the same amount of money or less. Unless someone just loves the look of the Prius(in which they need to get their eyes checked), I cant see the appeal of picking that car when there are far better options out there.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,489,989 times
I have an '06 Prius with 101K miles on it. Great car. Bought it for commuting, and it was terrific in that role. Since we retired, it's been great around town, and great on long-distance trips as well. If we're taking our dog and kayaks and luggage for a week or more, we'll take our Sienna minivan. Otherwise, it's the Prius.

We've done the usual oil changes and tire rotations - on the second set of tires now. I've replaced the windshield wiper blades several times. And that's been about it. I guess sometime in the next year or so the brakes will need some work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
My shop works on Prius. Economical car while under warranty. That's 8yrs/80k miles on the big stuff like the battery and all the computers. If you want to keep a car to 150-200k miles a Prius can be extremely expensive to own -- fuel mileage notwithstanding.
The warranty on our second generation Prius hybrid battery was 8 years/100,000 miles. Third generation has the same warranty - I'm not sure about the first generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Don't believe what proud Prius owners tell you about fuel mileage. They often tell me they get 48 miles/gallon, but when I bring up the display that shows average MPG since last reset, I typically find anywhere from 28-34. I don't confront the owners about this, its just amazing the extent to which people will believe what they want to believe.
It all depends on how the person drives. Prior to retirement I drove our Prius every day to work and back - mostly highway driving - and would get between 44 and 48 mpg depending on driving conditions ... lower in winter and rain, higher on dry roads in warmer weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The Prius really works for someone who does a lot of stop-and-go driving - note the mileage is better in-town than highway. This is because of the dynamic braking.
In general, I agree with you. But again, it depends on how you drive. My wife has something of a lead foot (and at this point, she's not about to change). Around town, with my wife doing most of the driving, we get anywhere from 42 to 45 mpg. When we take it on a trip up I-95 to New England, I do most/all of the driving, using cruise control where possible, and going at the speed limit plus 5 (again, where possible), we get 46 to 50 mpg.

And I calculate the mileage, rather than relying on the car's mpg display. For every vehicle I've owned over the last 30 years, I've recorded gas used and miles driven every time I've filled up the tank.

The very best mileage I recorded with the Prius was a day of driving around central New Hampshire. On country roads, with some hills, very few stops, speed limits of 40 to 55, I averaged 62.4 mpg over the course of 250 miles. But that's under ideal driving conditions, with the engine and hybrid battery fully warmed up, and a driver using gas-saving driving techniques whenever possible (no jack rabbit starts, cruising to stop lights/signs, "pulse and glide" where possible, etc.).

Of possible interest:

Replacement costs drop for hybrid batteries

The 200,000-mile question: How does the Toyota Prius hold up?

https://autos.aol.com/article/toyota-prius-reliability/

Hybrid Batteries: None the Worse for Wear?

Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,160,501 times
Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I drive mostly in town, not so much long trips. I'm also wondering about the difference between a Prius and a Camry hybrid. I need to go out and drive both of them. I know the Camry is less aerodynamic, so gets a little less in the way of mileage. But it also may be a bit more comfortable. I will have to check that out. Again, does anyone have any thoughts about the solar ventilation system in the Prius 4?

I don't see why anyone thinks a Prius is ugly. Here's a little insight into that: dsc.discovery.com › Car Guide › Top 10 List

Old 07-18-2012, 01:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,364,604 times
I friends mom has a 2002 Prius with 189,000 (as of April) miles on it. The only issue she ever had with it was requiring the standard battery replaced. No issues with the hybrid battery.

I'm liking the CT200h. It's uses the Prius drivetrain and gets excellent mileage.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,170,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I'm also wondering about the difference between a Prius and a Camry hybrid. I need to go out and drive both of them. I know the Camry is less aerodynamic, so gets a little less in the way of mileage. But it also may be a bit more comfortable.
My niece has a second generation Prius (XW20). I thought it was a little econo-boxy for me (I don't think that is the case with the latest version). The backseat was not very comfortable but she has had no problems with it.

I have a 2008 Camry Hybrid. Maintenance has been nothing but I did have to change out the 12 volt battery just after the warranty period The second generation TCH gets much better gas mileage. I average 35 mpg and do most of my driving in the city but I get even better gas mileage on the highways since it is a larger car. The only way you would know that it is a hybrid versus a non-hybrid is that the hybrid battery takes a bit of space in the trunk.

The car is just as comfortable as my old Lexus ES300.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,373,894 times
I think perhaps if Pruis C production can ever meet deamnd at under 19K it will be well worth the price as far as price paid verus milage.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:41 PM

1,713 posts, read 4,171,766 times
I thin the Prius is the most intelligent car choice anyone could make. Toyota reliability, and excellent economy. One of the best values in cars today. I am most impressed with the Prius V.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,359,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I thin the Prius is the most intelligent car choice anyone could make. Toyota reliability, and excellent economy. One of the best values in cars today. I am most impressed with the Prius V.
It has excellent fuel economy. But over a five year period you would spend less money if you bought a Mazda 3. During that five year period your Prius would use less fuel. But the Mazda would be much more fun to drive. So if "intelligent car choice" includes money spent, the Prius is not such a clear winner.

(data from Edmunds and their "True Cost to Own" estimates)

Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 PM

17,272 posts, read 57,447,376 times
That and you can get a proper stickshift in the Mazda3, IIRC.

This reminds me why I drive gas rather than Diesel 80's VW cars - the gas cars get up to about 40 MPG, no worse than 30 if you drive them like you stole them, easy to work on, non-interference engine does not crash if the cam belt breaks. Decent power, not muscular, but able to get out of it's own way. The Diesel cars will get 50 MPG, no worse than 40, but are harder to service, crash if the cam belt breaks, and are really damn slow.

Connection to the topic at hand is while the Prius is one of the highest MPG gas powered cars you can buy, if you are willing to give up a few MPG, you can have a much more satisfactory car all round for less money. And depending on how long you drive the car, how many miles a year, etc. the better overall car may actually have a lower cost of ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion