Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:05 PM

747 posts, read 2,758,687 times

Advertisements

Once I stop laughing, I'll agree with the others who said to start out with something other than a FWD chassis. Next point, start with something already F/I or has large aftermarket F/I kit availability. This could mean 2JZ-powered Toyotas & Lexuses, or KA24- or VQ35-powered Nissans & Infinities. If a Supra, IS300, 280SX, G35 etc. isn't quite "sleeper" enough for you, consider one of the non-Impreza based turbocharged Subarus. Most people probably think of the WRX/STi as quick Subies, and might be surprised when a Forrester XT or Legacy GT zips by...

As always, keep it safe and away from innocent motorists/pedestrians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 04:14 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Frank I know what you mean. Before I bought my 87 T, I had an 84 Regal 2 door grandma model...had the carbed 2 bbl 3.8 and metric 200C auto and the Buick mags. (see pic of it at bottom) I was originally going to V8 it, then I decided to try going turbo 6 power. Once I got on turbobuicks.com and asked about how to covert it, I was quickly advised to sell it and buy a turbo Buick, as the amount of labor I'd spend doing the conversion plus parts chasing, I'd be miles ahead buying an actual turbo car since they did make 2 door turbo cars.

Now one thing I do want to do when i get the money and time...is to find a G body Regal wagon built from 1981-83, and drop an entire 86-87 Grand National drivetrain into it...with an alky kit and a whisper quiet exhaust. I'd even keep the luggage rack and faux woodgrain on the sides....I'd keep the car as close to stock looking as possible...no one would ever think twice that there was something lurking under the hood...would make a great sleeper.

perfect car deez!!!! dump the nice buick wheels and put on steelies with wire wheel covers to complete deception.. I have a friend in Deleware county who LOVES doing these conversions. He has done it 50 times and now his wife drives a full size Buick wagon wiuthg a TR drivetrain. Hes famous in the TR community and a great guy. He has all the contacts to get drivetrains too, ni problem. Ill bet you can get that car convereted for under $10k easy and it will be in the 11's easy. It would take $40k to get a Camry into the 11's (including the car) oh and BTW- Jimmy has done the TR into G wagon a few times too

Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
ya want sleeper? Check this K car out I knew this guy many years ago.. Gary Donovan.. Here is his website..

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/the_reliant.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQJiY...eature=related

Old 02-03-2011, 05:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
You are going to turn a 2011 Camry into a street racer? You must be rich to take a brand new car and destroy most of its resale value..
Why not just buy a GTR as it will end up costing about the same after all the money you'll sink into the Camry to get it done right.
Good luck...Show us some pics when its done.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
Doing that with the Camry is like trying to make a housewife of a Ho. I learned the hard way. You want a fast car then buy one that's already built from factory to be fast.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:25 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
perfect car deez!!!! dump the nice buick wheels and put on steelies with wire wheel covers to complete deception.. I have a friend in Deleware county who LOVES doing these conversions. He has done it 50 times and now his wife drives a full size Buick wagon wiuthg a TR drivetrain. Hes famous in the TR community and a great guy. He has all the contacts to get drivetrains too, ni problem. Ill bet you can get that car convereted for under $10k easy and it will be in the 11's easy. It would take $40k to get a Camry into the 11's (including the car) oh and BTW- Jimmy has done the TR into G wagon a few times too
Unfortunately I already sold "brown sugar". I was sad to let it go, as it was a 1 owner 72k mile car from Florida....very solid body, no rot or rust, just needed new paint and a little bit of interior work. It rode good too...much better than my T rides and also handled and stopped better too.

At first I was going to do a 400 sbc then decided on a 455 Buick and finally decided to try on turbo 6 power. You're right I could have done the conversion under $10k. The turbobuick.com board guys strongly advised against it though due to the amount of labor involved. They all said since I'd have to go out and source the engine, trans, wiring, rear end, gas tank, etc. (I didn't have any parts or even a donor car to start out with) and that since they did make 2 door Regals with turbo power from the factory, that I'd be money, time and enjoyment ahead to sell my beloved 72k Florida garage kept Regal and buy an actual TR which I did.

I even had a few "hot air" '84-'85 guys who converted their cars over to '86-'87 intercooled TR power, all tell me to not pursue the project. I guess trying to convert a hot air car to an intercooled car is also a ton of labor involved.

I even contemplated buying the top end (intake, turbo, carb) off of a hot air Regal 3.8 and adding it to my 84 Regal's 3.8 V6 for a little more spunk. I think the guys mentioned that too wouldn't really be worth it unless you had all the parts ready.

Now as for the G body wagon thing...since they never came with turbo power, it might be worth doing the conversion on one, if you wanted to have something really sneaky.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Once I stop laughing, I'll agree with the others who said to start out with something other than a FWD chassis. Next point, start with something already F/I or has large aftermarket F/I kit availability. This could mean 2JZ-powered Toyotas & Lexuses, or KA24- or VQ35-powered Nissans & Infinities. If a Supra, IS300, 280SX, G35 etc. isn't quite "sleeper" enough for you, consider one of the non-Impreza based turbocharged Subarus. Most people probably think of the WRX/STi as quick Subies, and might be surprised when a Forrester XT or Legacy GT zips by...

As always, keep it safe and away from innocent motorists/pedestrians.
Most of what you mentioned are rarely sleepers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Doing that with the Camry is like trying to make a housewife of a Ho. I learned the hard way. You want a fast car then buy one that's already built from factory to be fast.
The Camry V-6 is fast, its a high/low 6 second car. Now to a Z06 it's slow but to 95% of the cars on the road, its fast.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:37 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
What? Not one word about doing this to a Smart Car?
Home of SmartBUSA - Hayabusa GSXR 1300 powered Smart Car. (http://www.smartbusa.us/index.html - broken link)

Then there's the MetroGnome that won a 24 Hours of Lemons race ...
The Best Engineered Lemons - #2 the MetroGnome > MotoIQ > Magazine Articles

FWIW, when they first surfaced, some folks were thinking the part most likely to survive was the toilet plunger ...

Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Home of SmartBUSA - Hayabusa GSXR 1300 powered Smart Car. (http://www.smartbusa.us/index.html - broken link)

Then there's the MetroGnome that won a 24 Hours of Lemons race ...
The Best Engineered Lemons - #2 the MetroGnome > MotoIQ > Magazine Articles

FWIW, when they first surfaced, some folks were thinking the part most likely to survive was the toilet plunger ...
I was going to post the SmartBUSA too, but you beat me to it, lol.

As for modding the Camry, whatever floats your boat. If it was me, I would focus on brakes and suspension as was mentioned and leave the motor alone.

TRD doesn't even make a supercharger kit for Camry's that are newer than 2001 or so. However, it you do want to add some power, a little 50 shot or so of nitrous would be real cheap to put on and give you some added power when you need it. If you program it to only engage once in third gear or so, you will also minimize the torque steer and not have much risk of breaking anything. The nice thing with the nitrous is that even if you do blow up the car, have it towed home, take the kit off and shrug your shoulders when the dealer asks you what happened.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The nice thing with the nitrous is that even if you do blow up the car, have it towed home, take the kit off and shrug your shoulders when the dealer asks you what happened.
With all the computers recording every little aspect "out of norm" these days, you're not going to get far with that.

Besides, there are better vehicle choices for that ... at $19.95/day.
Say 'Bye to Neon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion