Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,841 times

Advertisements

I was recently accepted into a PhD program at UT and am looking for some rather cheap housing options. Good/bad neighborhoods? Particular complexes? Any information you can give?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 01:46 PM

911 posts, read 2,613,815 times
stay out of kenwood gardens and anything in that immediate area off douglas by UT. the further west you get, the better. by the mall, miracle mile, and close to the city of sylvania arent bad at all. the ones on the west side to stay away from are sylvania towers and timber run

make no mistake, UT is in a very bad area. dorr street is terrible and so is bancroft.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:11 PM

896 posts, read 1,870,982 times
Bancroft is not terrible by UT. Across the street from the campus is Old Orchard, one of the nicest, safest neighborhoods in town. I agree about kenwood gardens. Ive known plenty of people who lived there ad were fine. It's a huge complex though and I notice there's lots of thefts there. I lived at Georgetown Village off Central and Secor on Middlesex for awhile. I loved it. My buddy and I paid around 500 a month for our 2 bedroom. We liked being able to walk to get coffee and food and what not. There's minor thefts and what not in there every so often too but it always seemed fine and was completely safe.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:14 PM

180 posts, read 343,334 times
Not completely related, but with the UT/Bancroft talk... if you're looking for a good breakfast around there, check out Rick's City Diner, right next to Maxwell's/Ale House/Omni. Best french toast I've ever had.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 PM

10 posts, read 22,440 times
Check out Country Club Apartments off of Dorr between Secor and Reynolds. It's a couple miles from campus. It's been a few years and I think management has changed hands, but it's probably still a good place to live.

As the others have said, the area by UT is relatively safe though.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:38 PM

911 posts, read 2,613,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Bancroft is not terrible by UT. Across the street from the campus is Old Orchard, one of the nicest, safest neighborhoods in town. I agree about kenwood gardens. Ive known plenty of people who lived there ad were fine. It's a huge complex though and I notice there's lots of thefts there. I lived at Georgetown Village off Central and Secor on Middlesex for awhile. I loved it. My buddy and I paid around 500 a month for our 2 bedroom. We liked being able to walk to get coffee and food and what not. There's minor thefts and what not in there every so often too but it always seemed fine and was completely safe.

u forgot how someone was stabbed last year in front of maxwells on bancroft. kenwood is crappy, i've been in apartments there where someone would literally fall in your window to try and break in. that place should be shut down. try jamestown by central and monroe they price out alot of the problems

Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
u forgot how someone was stabbed last year in front of maxwells on bancroft.

Im aware of that. I dont think its indicative of what the crime culture is of the Bancroft Hills neighborhood. That was more of a random incident. I dont think any college kid needs to be afraid of the areas around UT off Bancroft. Thats the party neighborhood anyway. I would be more afraid of being beat up by drunk frat dudes.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:58 AM

2,610 posts, read 2,964,235 times
I live in Bancroft Hills and I feel pretty safe. I have older neighbors on both sides of my house. I know of some bad incidents that have happened back there that haven't made local news, but it's irrelevant since I wouldn't recommend the neighborhood for a graduate student anyways. I second Country Club off Dorr. I'd also look into Oakwood in that area off of Dorr too.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
...I wouldn't recommend the neighborhood for a graduate student anyways. I second Country Club off Dorr. I'd also look into Oakwood in that area off of Dorr too.

Yeah if you're a grad student your most likely are past caring about living where the parties are.

I've drove through Country Club and they seem pretty decent. I actually lived at Oakwood for a short while as well. It was fine. My one bedroom apartment there was super small and cost me around 500 a month still though. You said you wanted cheap though.

What's your budget? Roomates? How close to campus do you need to be?

Old 05-04-2011, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Yeah if you're a grad student your most likely are past caring about living where the parties are.

I've drove through Country Club and they seem pretty decent. I actually lived at Oakwood for a short while as well. It was fine. My one bedroom apartment there was super small and cost me around 500 a month still though. You said you wanted cheap though.

What's your budget? Roomates? How close to campus do you need to be?

My budget is as cheap as possible without totally discounting safety. Roommates, I don't know anyone from Toledo and we have yet to be given an e-mail list of grad students (apparently we should be getting one). So, for now, it is me. I would like to be within walking distance, but I don't think it is necessary per se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo