Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,710 times

Advertisements

Hello Toledoans,

My daughter, who is in her mid-20's and Asian-American, is moving to Toledo and will be a student at UT Health Science campus. As a New Yorker, she's seen it all, but we are worried about her safety living alone out of state. Don't know if she would be targeted as an Asian-American and female. Now I've done some research and know that Ottowa Hills, Perrysburg, Sylvania, and Maumee are the safe neighborhoods near the Health Science campus.
Can anyone recommend a specific apartment complex in a safe neighborhood for her? No advertisers and marketers please. Many of the apartment complexes that are "recommended" on this forum have poor reviews online. So if someone can point us to a good apartment complex near my daughter's future campus, that would be very helpful.

P.S. She has a license but is afraid of driving after her friend got into an accident. Would it be possible at all to live without a car as a UT Health Science student? I don't really think so, but just "in case".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:39 AM

555 posts, read 894,124 times
I don't know the area near the Health Sciences campus, but here is information on the university's transit system: The University of Toledo -. Your daughter may have more flexibility in where she lives than she thinks. The realty company we rent from has been very good to work with and has several properties. Their website is http://www.noneman.com/pdfs/ApartmentsPerfectForYou.pdf.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 PM

896 posts, read 1,857,273 times
It might be possible to sort of live without a car, but I honestly wouldnt recommend it. Coming from NYC, she'll be accustomed to numerous efficient transit options, and walkable areas......which we dont really have here. We have TARTA which is our city bus system but it leaves a lot to be desired with its crappy routes and what not. Theres some apartment complexes in the vicinity of UTMC Campus, but its mostly residential neighborhoods surrounding the area, and some shopping plazas. If you got an apartment, say off Glendale somewhere, it would be possible to just ride a bike to class I suspect. The Glendale area is fairly safe. You absolutely dont want to rent any of the apartments on, or near Airport Hwy. They are all crap, with lots of crime. Also, if the UT Main Campus has a bus to the Health Campus, you could also consider looking at renting in the UT area of west Toledo, where you could rent somewhere and just walk or ride the bus over to main campus, then catch a university bus over to the Health Campus. Theres options. But having a car would honestly make life a lotttt easier.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:38 PM

688 posts, read 1,119,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peartree5307 View Post
Hello Toledoans,

My daughter, who is in her mid-20's and Asian-American, is moving to Toledo and will be a student at UT Health Science campus. As a New Yorker, she's seen it all, but we are worried about her safety living alone out of state. Don't know if she would be targeted as an Asian-American and female. Now I've done some research and know that Ottowa Hills, Perrysburg, Sylvania, and Maumee are the safe neighborhoods near the Health Science campus.
Can anyone recommend a specific apartment complex in a safe neighborhood for her? No advertisers and marketers please. Many of the apartment complexes that are "recommended" on this forum have poor reviews online. So if someone can point us to a good apartment complex near my daughter's future campus, that would be very helpful.

P.S. She has a license but is afraid of driving after her friend got into an accident. Would it be possible at all to live without a car as a UT Health Science student? I don't really think so, but just "in case".
The answer to this question is a resounding NO. While no one can guarantee the safety of another I'm confident she is not going to be the victim of a crime as a result of her ethnicity. Coming from someone who has friends in the police force I'm told perpetrators look for other signals of an "easy vicitim" such as being alone as well as unaware/distracted. If she walks around with company during normal hours of the day and holds her head high rather than buried in an iPhone with earbuds in then she's not likely to find herself in harm's way. If she goes alone to the wrong side of town and accesses an ATM at 3 AM with head phones in then yea, she might be mugged but a white male is setting himself up for such an incident under these circumstances just as much as an Asian-American woman.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:53 PM

198 posts, read 445,362 times
In Toledo a car is a must have. Driving in Ohio is not scary like driving in New York. The roads are setup so that 16 year olds can drive on them. Virtually all straight and at right angles. Abundant parking everywhere. Compared to New York, traffic is non-existent.

You have some strange ideas about Toledo, though. There are a fair number of Asians in Toledo, particularly at the university and all the hospitals (where there's a huge number of Asian doctors and nurses).

Some of the immediate areas around UTMC aren't the greatest. They're not exactly like the Bronx or Brooklyn, but they're not the greatest. If safety and well being are high priority, I would look into some of the apartment complexes in Sylvania and Perrysburg. Specifically, the Levi's Common mall in Perrysburg has some apartments around it that I know for a fact are very popular with the young doctors in Toledo. Chelsea place which is near Sylvania is also in an ultra safe neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo