Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 11:14 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post

Dallas Arts District

While one can only applaud Dallas for bringing such a wide-array of culture to north Texas, the Arts District unfortunately does not pass the test of an urbanist very well. While the individual galleries, museums and performance spaces may be great, one is still left with a sense of never having found the Dallas arts scene...

Despite the city’s real, or imagined, “cowboy motif” Dallas takes the arts very serious and has built an impressive number of facilities in what is basically a created precinct. I use the term “created” as that is what this is; a single-use zone of cultural facilities with no immediate neighborhood incubating the district. Not to say that Dallas does not have artistic communities further out, just that the Arts District itself feels more like a construct for tourists to easily see all the institutions in an afternoon, than any sort of true artistic neighborhood that reveals itself more over time...

[/thread]
The article is older than the arts district.

The arts district just opened on October 11.

http://www.thedallasartsdistrict.org...ningEvents.pdf

Old 01-11-2010, 12:13 PM

457 posts, read 905,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The article is older than the arts district.

The arts district just opened on October 11.

http://www.thedallasartsdistrict.org...ningEvents.pdf
The Center for the Performing Arts opened Oct 11, but the Arts District was established in the late 70's and started with the DMOA in 1983 or 1984.

The article is interesting, but the author is from Toronto - there isn't a sunbelt city that can compete with Toronto in street activity and urbanism. And of course, the article has nothing to do with the skyline.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
I think Miami can, as far as street activity.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I think Miami can, as far as street activity.
Agreed.

Along with New Orleans.

Dallas & Houston, not a chance. Fort Worth, San Antonio, & Austin have the most street level activity in Texas.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
This isn't true. Dallas is like Atlanta, in that it builds more on speculation than market. Just look at Victory.
I've always found that interesting. It's not that Houston doesn't have speculation, because it certainly does. It's that ATL and DFW went through a mid rise and high rise residential boom. HOU went through a townhouse boom. I guess the demographics of ATL and DFW support more 400K high rise condos than Houston because Houston has built a plethora of 400K townhouses. However, all 3 cities took a pretty big hit from all these higher end condos/townhomes.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
If you haven't guessed, Matt does not like Dallas.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Just viewing Metro Matt's posting history over the years on SSC, HAIF, and SSP, i think he likes Dallas. Probably just not in comparison to Houston.

Now this is me talking now. Dallas just comes off like a city that tries too hard to be great.

I'm sorry to say but Dallas seems like an imitation city. It has beautiful skyscrapers, buildings, and things kind of like a movie setting. Dallas is basically a museum. Pretty to look at, but that's it.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Just viewing Metro Matt's posting history over the years on SSC, HAIF, and SSP, i think he likes Dallas. Probably just not in comparison to Houston.

Now this is me talking now. Dallas just comes off like a city that tries too hard to be great.

I'm sorry to say but Dallas seems like an imitation city. It has beautiful skyscrapers, buildings, and things kind of like a movie setting. Dallas is basically a museum. Pretty to look at, but that's it.
Then you dont know it very well. Most of Dallas is actually not like that at all.

What do you do in Houston or any other sunbelt city that you couldnt do in Dallas that isnt related to the physical surroundings?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Im not sure about that. What it does seem is that whenever comparing Dallas or DFW and Houston, Houston will always have more of whatever it is even if its a bad thing.

I seem to recall a thread where he was touting how many more prostitutes Houston has than DFW.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:39 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Then you dont know it very well. Most of Dallas is actually not like that at all.

What do you do in Houston or any other sunbelt city that you couldnt do in Dallas that isnt related to the physical surroundings?
I used to go to Dallas all the time. Dallas's strongest points are in its suburban areas. Houston is similar to Dallas but it definitely has a stronger urban core. It's downtown is only getting better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas