Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 12:35 AM

457 posts, read 908,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Calm down, the poster never said that TMC was BETTER than Uptown+Downtown Dallas. And the statement that TMC will outgrow DT Dallas is true.
I could have been more specific as to which comment I was referring - see below - and the "crack" remark could have been rephrased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
That is very true. But, even coupled with Uptown Dallas, that larger skyline area isn't as impressive as TMC or Uptown Houston. Heck, even Transco in an of itself trumps the entire Uptown Dallas skyline. Period.
feufoma, you are entitled to your opinion, of course. But in my opinion, the combined uptown/downtown Dallas skyline has no match in Texas. Houston's multitude of skylines is impressive, but one has to view the scattered clusters from 10 miles away for them to take on the illusion of a single skyline.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:51 AM

9,221 posts, read 16,006,595 times
The "combined" Downtown-Uptown Dallas skyline, to me, really feels no different than driving down I-45 in Downtown Houston. I know for a fact that DT Houston has more buildings than DT Dallas. I wonder if it has the same as DT and UT Dallas combined.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:34 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,944,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
The "combined" Downtown-Uptown Dallas skyline, to me, really feels no different than driving down I-45 in Downtown Houston. I know for a fact that DT Houston has more buildings than DT Dallas. I wonder if it has the same as DT and UT Dallas combined.
According to Emporis, which tracks these things (and has detailed info on practically every building), the number of high rises in each city is:

Houston - 353 existing, 13 under construction
Skyscrapers of Houston | Emporis.com

Dallas - 241 existing, 9 under construction
Skyscrapers of Dallas | Emporis.com

followed by -

Austin - 109 existing, 6 under construction
Skyscrapers of Austin | Emporis.com

San Antonio - 74 existing, 7 under construction
Skyscrapers of San Antonio | Emporis.com

Ft. Worth - 49 existing, 0 under construction (after completion of Omni)
Skyscrapers of Fort Worth | Emporis.com

Old 12-24-2009, 12:09 PM

882 posts, read 2,252,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
According to Emporis, which tracks these things (and has detailed info on practically every building), the number of high rises in each city is:

Houston - 353 existing, 13 under construction
Skyscrapers of Houston | Emporis.com
Yeah, but Houston has 3 skylines, and then it has about 10 clusters of buildings....

So buildings are pretty spread out, but i wonder how many buildings are actually in Downtown, Uptown, or TMC. And what percentage of Houstons buildings are actually located in Downtown, Uptown, etc..?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:44 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,619,193 times
Houston

Old 12-24-2009, 05:26 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,086,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post

feufoma, you are entitled to your opinion, of course. But in my opinion, the combined uptown/downtown Dallas skyline has no match in Texas. Houston's multitude of skylines is impressive, but one has to view the scattered clusters from 10 miles away for them to take on the illusion of a single skyline.
No way man...

Downtown Houston alone has about 5 more skyscrapers than Downtown Dallas over the 700' mark. Now if you're talking the density of Downtown & Uptown Dallas combined being greater than Downtown Houston alone I can see where you might have a point. Throw Houston's TMC in the mix & there's simply no comparison, the building density there is quite possibly the densest cluster of tall buildings in Texas hands down. The tightly compact patch of land it covers in one of America's most sprawling cities is just crazy.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,785 times
Red face The skyline speaks for itself

When I think about a city the skyline says it all, the large assortment of tall building is always a site to see its just human nature to wonder about the city as you gaze at its skyline in fact a lot of people live in big cities because of the skyline. Once while driving through H-Town I was amazed at how big the skyline is and with how many building it had that towered over those of my home city of Dallas. The skyline spoke for itself saying this is Houston and I am huge it was an experience to remember and one to be remembered. Houston like L.A. has made the statement through its skyline comparatively speaking with several building that tower over 900-ft huge skyscrapers that can compete with any city. However, Dallas has yet to make that statement her skyline is lacking work (it’s like its missing buildings), (it’s like an uncompleted art work), and she needs several additional skyscrapers added to complete her look. Whereas, Houston, Atlanta, and L.A. have several building over 900-ft, Dallas dose not ,and to me if Dallas is the Texas Star, and I believe she is, then she should have the tallest building in Texas to prove it. Although I love Dallas more than any other city I have to admit she could use a facelift. Especially in the area of adding several new very tall skyscrapers in uptown Dallas at least 80 stories tall.

Last edited by I-30 NBP; 01-05-2010 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 PM

For the record, buildings over 900'

Houston, 3
Dallas, 1
Atlanta, 1
LA, 1

Houston has a very nice collection of 200m+ towers, ranked third in the US, that gives it some serious bulk. And you are right, Dallas could really use an 80 floor building - let's pool our money and build one right now.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:28 PM

882 posts, read 2,252,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
For the record, buildings over 900'

Houston, 3
Dallas, 1
Atlanta, 1
LA, 1

Houston has a very nice collection of 200m+ towers, ranked third in the US, that gives it some serious bulk. And you are right, Dallas could really use an 80 floor building - let's pool our money and build one right now.
Houston has 4 buildings over 900 ft, when including One Shell Plaza's antenna.
And OSP is 1000 ft with it, making it the only city outside Chicago and NYC with more than 1 supertall. Of course, only when measuring by pinnacle height.

And Wells Fargo Plaza is only 8 ft shorter than supertall-status, the 2nd tallest non-supertall tower in the nation at 992 ft.

Damn, Houston is tall.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Houston has 4 buildings over 900 ft, when including One Shell Plaza's antenna.
I got my numbers from Emporis. You only count antenna when measuring insects, not buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas