Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Houston does have interesting buildings with character. With it being quite a large downtown it only means that there are hundreds more buildings that are boring bland boxes which overpowers the few nice ones.
You can say that for most large sunbelt cities.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:47 PM

146 posts, read 352,756 times
Midway Companies is expected to officially announce 25-Story Hotel Alessandra for GreenStreet soon.

Preliminary rendering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chron
GreenStreet Expansion TBA soon

That's good news for Brinsden, whose company is redeveloping GreenStreet, the former Houston Pavilions downtown.

"We're trying to evolve that into a true mixed-use destination," he said.
In about 60 days, the company is expected to announce an expansion at the complex, which now houses retail and office space.

"We think this project needed that third activity generator," Brinsden said.
Builders reshape how the area will grow - Houston Chronicle

Old 12-08-2013, 09:27 PM

146 posts, read 352,756 times

Photographing with Kathy Adams Clark: How To Photograph The Super Moon

Photo: Houston Skyline - Desktop Background Wallpaper | VizTV Media Services

- Houston Chronicle

- Houston Chronicle

- Wiki

Wider view of the Houston skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 12-09-2013, 01:49 AM

297 posts, read 476,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Who knows, I was some what enjoying not having the BOA lights to be honest.

Anyone notice how smaller buildings are starting to add some form of lighting? The Holiday Inn and the Palomar off Central for example have lights. I don't mind the occasional building with lights but I think it can be over done.
I noticed it. Practically every building added something;
the Renaissance Tower turned its 'Crown' (5 white towers) to Green.
The Trammell Crow Center added a Green ring or light just below the Illuminated pyramid on top.

And the Tower at Cityplace [Cityplace] (on the 75) added a CRAPLOAD of lights running Up the sides of it,
in 2 rows. It's a little bit of 'too much', LOL !

But I like it. That's DALLAS for you. LOL!

Old 12-09-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
largest by what definition? SA is bigger than Dallas in population, and probably also in size.
HAHHHAHAHHHAAHAAHAHHAHAHAAA !
I woke up my girl, from Laughing Out Loud !

San Antonio's County line is the Same as its City Limits.

That's CHEATING. If Dallas rearranged its City Limits to Houston's ,
we could then also Move out County line to the same size as Houston's.
And the Metro areas would be the same size.

Not much difference....

But San Antonio is just a tiny little Cheater city.

I'm not fooled. HEH-HEH-HEH-HEH-HEH-HEH-HEH !

Old 12-09-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Actually, the Southern side of Dallas has the best topography and greenery in the area. Kessler Park is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods i've been to. Southern Dallas County has very thick vegetation, even swamps and pretty decent sized hills in the SW portion. Cedar Hill is a gorgeous area.

There is a joke here that I-45 going South never developed because the freeway signs all say Houston on them.
LOL ! Yeah,
the South area "looks" like a lot of Greenery, but it's coz of the Levee area, and then after that,
it's alot of homes hiding in trees. Suburban neighborhoods like those in Duncanville, etc..
("metro matt" compared it to Oklahoma desert, but in actuality, there are people living in what looks like
"nothing" on the other side of the levee; in pictures)

As for I-45, All that expanse of woods you see on the way towards Houston is actually HUNTING GROUNDS for the rich. And GOLF COURSES. A lot of people don't know that.
THAT is why they haven't built on it.

Another thing people don't know about that woody area is that there are Factories that are popping up
down there (and corrections facilities) etc... and it is supposed to a place that is going to be booming with
employment soon; they are in the works of sending the DART that way (into the wooded area, next to the 45) so that people can commute to work; there is also a major hub of train tracks, if you look for it.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:12 AM

286 posts, read 406,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
I keep hearing you make this arugment yet every time one is proposed dallites come running like a dog with to a bone

Yes we are awe struck.. at how small it feels compared to Houston......I have heard people from NYC and Chicargo talk about the size of Houston... I have never seen anyone use those words when talikng about Dallas.. that is not to say that they did not have nice things to say.. but when asked which one size left you awe struck,

In fact I remeber when I first brought my ex wife from Hampton Va to Texas .. She was shopping for schools and we spent a couple of days in Dallas she was impressed.. this is from a woman who has lived in NYC, ATL, and miami.... then we went drove to Houston.. you know what she said""ohhhhh wow its like a mini new york..(remember now this is from a woman who at one point had actually lived in NYC.. we had not even cross over the highway where you can see the medical center and uptown yet(when we crossed that section she said wait how far does your downtown go !!!. I had to explain to her those where their own area seprate from downtown...

This is so true !! that is why we do over the top things like bridge that so huge you would think you where about to cross over a river instead of a over rated ditch... That is why we light are skyline up like it the vegas strip, that is why we created a victory park center that looks like time sqaure little brother.. to address our sense of inferority

[
Sorry but I hope you got your ex-wife help because Houston is in no way shape or form a mini NYC. I'm from Brooklyn, east New York to be exact. How and what makes Houston a mini New York? Downtown Brooklyn? SoHo? 42nd Street? The Diamond District? Fulton Street Mall? Battery Park? Central Park? Harlem? Wall Street?

Obviously you have never been to NYC so let me make this simple. Houston is not a mini NYC, Take it from a native New Yorker. Not a knock on Houston but stop comparing your city to others. Let Houston be Houston. Get out of Houston sometimes and do a little traveling.

Last edited by curtbr72; 12-09-2013 at 05:28 AM..

Old 12-09-2013, 07:02 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
Sorry but I hope you got your ex-wife help because Houston is in no way shape or form a mini NYC. I'm from Brooklyn, east New York to be exact. How and what makes Houston a mini New York? Downtown Brooklyn? SoHo? 42nd Street? The Diamond District? Fulton Street Mall? Battery Park? Central Park? Harlem? Wall Street?

Obviously you have never been to NYC so let me make this simple. Houston is not a mini NYC, Take it from a native New Yorker. Not a knock on Houston but stop comparing your city to others. Let Houston be Houston. Get out of Houston sometimes and do a little traveling.
This!

Old 12-09-2013, 07:25 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,149,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post

1. Even thou she is a Ex (watch your mouth with that getting her help crack)

2. She was referencing the Skyline( not the city)

3.I have been from Hong Kong yes Even NYC..and about a hundred places in between ..I swear mofo on city data act like they are the only people with passports..smh

4. NYC is a great city that being said there are a number of cities that crush NYC in terms of population and denesity and urban land scape.. try alot of china major cities or even some south american cities.. so please get off your own dicks sometimes. I just said she visted Dallas said it was nice mvisted Houston and said the(skyline reminded her of NYC but on much smaller scale)

5. why is it that anytime anybody metions NYC people from nyc thing that they want to be them ???!! Houston has no interest in being NYC( Dallas more than jumps up and down trying to be the NYC of the south hence their constant need for over the top designs of things).. NY is not taking food out of Houston mouth and Houston is not taking food food from NYC.. NYC growth has never effected Houston growth anf vise verse.. So trust me Houston is being Houston, always has been always will be...

Old 12-09-2013, 07:36 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
The Houston skyline (mainly downtown) will look pretty different in 2015-16....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas