Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:45 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,591,897 times

Advertisements

Although I don't wholeheartedly agree, it's about time San Antonio had someone who realized its strong points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 03:06 PM

136 posts, read 727,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Central Dallas is very friendly (except for the Park Cities and points north which give us a 'snobby reputation') and crime is mostly concentrated in the southern sector. Dallas has a very extensive crime-reporting mechanism which tends to exaggerate the rates. Search Lakewood / East Dallas
All of Dallas is dangerous. The south is the most dangerous but the only truly safe part of Dallas is the uber rich area between 75 and Dallas Tollway. If you think otherwise, look at the Dallas crime maps. East/North Dallas has more than decent neighberhoods with homes, but those areas are chalked full, over 50% of the population living in apartments and the crime rate there is sky high.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
All of Dallas is dangerous. The south is the most dangerous but the only truly safe part of Dallas is the uber rich area between 75 and Dallas Tollway. If you think otherwise, look at the Dallas crime maps. East/North Dallas has more than decent neighberhoods with homes, but those areas are chalked full, over 50% of the population living in apartments and the crime rate there is sky high.
Lakewooder just said how Dallas' crime stats are skewed,
Lakewooder:
Quote:
Dallas has a very extensive crime-reporting mechanism which tends to exaggerate the rates. Search Lakewood / East Dallas
...and to be fair, their crime really isn't too much worse than Houston's
You basically described Dallas the exact way Houston can be described (without the wealth). It doesn't really say what's unique about Dallas.
mpope409:
Quote:
Austin: What you said is generally correct

Dallas: World class business center with a very diversified economy across many industries. Definitely an emphasis on wealth, business and money. High crime and danger. Shopping is world class...(what else? I'm sure the user wants to know)

Houston: World class business center with a diversified economy across a lot of industries. Capital city. Definitely an emphasis on energy, health/medicine, and a lower emphasis on business and money. High crime/danger in a few areas. Shopping is world class. Relatively affordable, but not a steal. And only as polluted as a major port or city can expect to be.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,243,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post

Oh please.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:12 PM

47 posts, read 250,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well mike didn't list any positives or advantages of Dallas over Houston. And what's with all of this emphasis on sports as if they help define a great city. Look at New York, their teams aren't very good at all.
To better word it i preffered the insight on dallas best, and thus recommended it. You're right about them not really being positives/negatives.

I also agree that too much emphasis shouldn't be placed on sports. However, a city's expansiveness in terms of sports can go a long way for sports fans. I don't consider it a necessity but somewhat of a solid advantage(especially considering american culture).

To mpope/lakewood: Very interesting possible rational as to why crime rates in dallas appear high(i never thought that could be the reason).

Old 06-22-2007, 06:20 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,353,761 times
I'm going to give the love to San Antonio on this one. SA has charm, all the 'suburban amenities' you need, better traffic conditions, interesting urban core, super friendly people, close to the beach, cultural attractions and lower cost of living.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockbuster View Post
To better word it i preffered the insight on dallas best, and thus recommended it. You're right about them not really being positives/negatives.

I also agree that too much emphasis shouldn't be placed on sports. However, a city's expansiveness in terms of sports can go a long way for sports fans. I don't consider it a necessity but somewhat of a solid advantage(especially considering american culture).

To mpope/lakewood: Very interesting possible rational as to why crime rates in dallas appear high(i never thought that could be the reason).
So true, because look at the Spurs. They're arguably the best team in major sports, but their city is constantly overlooked.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:04 AM

3 posts, read 6,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpsandHorns View Post
Austin, Dallas, or Houston???

Nope, give the forgotten San Antonio some love instead

San Antonio is a hybrid of what is great about the Bigs (Dallas/Houston) and the Littles (Austin).

It shares the same hilly dry beautiful scenery of Austin (especially Northside and beyond). Houston & Dallas are very flat. Of the 4 major cities, San Antonio (northern hilly side again) has the best overall weather climate with tons of nearby outdoor lakes, vineyards, and hills.

It has a historical feel that makes it seem sort of a living museum. No other cities in Texas have such history & Culture. Long-term planning has made it the least sprawl-traffic threatened city in Texas by a far margin. (although it does have sprawl by national standards) Interesting old neighborhoods and cultural landmarks are integrated into a 2 million person metropolis. That is what makes it the number one tourist destination in the State by a long margin.

The laid-back casual vibe of Austin filters downward to make it certainly unpretentious. But, it maintains more a grownup conservative big-city nature than Austin. Austin tends to be too small college town at times. San Antonio can be a big city with big city attitude.

If you want the nice Austin scenery and laid back vibe...along with some beauty and big city amenities...minus the traffic and sprawl...

Well, the Alamo City is the obvious choice.

Oh, and did I mention that it is the least expensive of the 4 not 3 city choices in Texas.
uh dude houston might be flat bt dallas is in no way flat. i kno im a native of both cities. dallas has hills and is not flat. i actually used to live by a hill road in dallas. very nice city. houston is nice in some parts bt is too flat and kind of borin 4 me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas